Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-27-2012, 07:01 PM   #46
sjheiss
Connoisseur
sjheiss began at the beginning.

Device: K3G, KF2
After using this, along with the commands described here, and now I can't turn the WiFi over SSH off, to use USB again. Whenever I try the deactivating command, it gives an error of "unexpected ;". Does anyone know how to disable the WiFi mode?

My config file says K3_WiFi is disabled, yet it still works, so I don't know what to do.

Last edited by sjheiss; 01-27-2012 at 07:07 PM.
sjheiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:13 PM   #47
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
As there is no folder '\usbnet\etc\config', I was wonderig if anyone could get ssh over wifi in Kindle Touch?

And if so, can usbnetwork and ssh-wifi coexist?
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2012, 02:08 AM   #48
kindl
kindl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G
+1
Use Kindle Touch. Going over instruction.
Where should I put the authorized_keys
There is no \usbnet\etc folder on KT.
kindl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:59 AM   #49
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindl View Post
+1
Use Kindle Touch. Going over instruction.
Where should I put the authorized_keys
There is no \usbnet\etc folder on KT.
\usbnet\* is created by your installation of USBnet package, or at least by any of the more recent ones.

So confirm that the USBnet package you installed, actually was installed and is working.

The USBnet packages that include ssh, use the Dropbear implementation.

When lost on any *nix system, remember that the man(ual) command is your friend.
In the *nix world, you will often see the accronum: RTFM with an obvious meaning.
Outside of the *nix world, ask your favorite web search engine.

Here,
man dropbear
man dropbearkey
man dbclient

Will look like this:
http://linux.die.net/man/8/dropbear

When reading a *nix man page, always read to the bottom of the page.
There will (almost always) be a "Files" and a "See Also" section (say: thank you, BSD).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:20 AM   #50
kindl
kindl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G
The latest USBNet (1.x) don't create ANY usbnet folder on root partition.
Anyways the \usbnet\* doesn't look like Linux path..

If I search for dropbear, I find dropbear executable in /usr/local/sbin/ and dropbear folder in /usr/local/etc
Putting authorized_keys in any of them doesn't make it work.
So the question is quite reasonable here. How to make it work on current USBNet on Kindle.
kindl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2012, 03:55 AM   #51
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Code:
[root@kindle .ssh]# pwd
/tmp/root/.ssh
[root@kindle .ssh]# ls -la
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root            60 Feb 12 08:54 .
drwx------    6 root     root           120 Feb 12 08:52 ..
-r--------    1 root     root           408 Feb 12 08:53 authorized_keys
[root@kindle .ssh]# cat authorized_keys 
ssh-rsa AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAABIwAAAQEAwbjpu0KFwCsdfJsHvFd9THL+vwEx3B7A4RrG3QlG/46+Tl7QzQuQchVULh608SNCnd0J5LjL+PIxlXy1nhYvq7rdw5iH0NQc4wjEUuJ8qAhQF6qNk9Xzb1HXYaDzkh2zhfZaBrgQOvVyJt6XT9XM81UPQJ7HbJQTioDYTtdGDQeUEnEJm0f8pOLhy7nWxCdpOW4U9QCHgGn7yp4dK0fUBp6MCp56r7bLpFvB145yC6yp/oM6Xp/01JS4cZOwqP7HisNIdMuEHlXIKGSWuGNr7bGCHM+euAyVN7dQq1r0oGgt3O50zKdkeO9HZi6DF17/QufjBENe5uTsP4RhqmV0jw== ixtab
[root@kindle .ssh]#
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:58 AM   #52
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindl View Post
The latest USBNet (1.x) don't create ANY usbnet folder on root partition.
Anyways the \usbnet\* doesn't look like Linux path..

If I search for dropbear, I find dropbear executable in /usr/local/sbin/ and dropbear folder in /usr/local/etc
Putting authorized_keys in any of them doesn't make it work.
So the question is quite reasonable here. How to make it work on current USBNet on Kindle.
I can't say, haven't seen a USBnet marked or named (1.x)
The most recent one I have looked inside of myself was marked as: -0.35.N

The only thing I can think of for you to do is open up the update_*_install.bin package you used to install the USBnet package from and read the scripting to see what it did and/or expects to have done.

The "kindle_update_tool.py" script will decrypt that *.bin for you,
The usual tools will un-compress and un-archive the *.tgz file after decryption.

That python script has been included in every Jailbreak and USBnet package I have seen to date (under /src of the *.zip the packages are shipped in).
Old 02-17-2012, 08:47 AM   #53
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Code:
[root@kindle .ssh]# pwd
/tmp/root/.ssh
[root@kindle .ssh]# ls -la
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root            60 Feb 12 08:54 .
drwx------    6 root     root           120 Feb 12 08:52 ..
-r--------    1 root     root           408 Feb 12 08:53 authorized_keys
[root@kindle .ssh]# cat authorized_keys 
ssh-rsa AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAABIwAAAQEAwbjpu0KFwCsdfJsHvFd9THL+vwEx3B7A4RrG3QlG/46+Tl7QzQuQchVULh608SNCnd0J5LjL+PIxlXy1nhYvq7rdw5iH0NQc4wjEUuJ8qAhQF6qNk9Xzb1HXYaDzkh2zhfZaBrgQOvVyJt6XT9XM81UPQJ7HbJQTioDYTtdGDQeUEnEJm0f8pOLhy7nWxCdpOW4U9QCHgGn7yp4dK0fUBp6MCp56r7bLpFvB145yC6yp/oM6Xp/01JS4cZOwqP7HisNIdMuEHlXIKGSWuGNr7bGCHM+euAyVN7dQq1r0oGgt3O50zKdkeO9HZi6DF17/QufjBENe5uTsP4RhqmV0jw== ixtab
[root@kindle .ssh]#
That looks like what I would expect to see (no mention of usbnet anywhere) with one important exception.

It is located in the /tmp part of the file tree.
That part of the file tree should be emptied by a cold boot (not a resume from sleep).
The "normal" (non-embedded system) location for that file is /root/.ssh/authorized_keys.

But let us forge ahead under the assumption that the Kindle is never cold booted (normally, it isn't)

If ssh is still not working for you, we need to figure out how to get dropbear to look for the public key(s) under /tmp/* rather than under ~/.ssh

If I put the public key line you posted into any of my machines (and opened a hole in the fire-wall for you) - you would be able to ssh into those machines.

Note:
That is a single line record in authorized_keys and that file may include multiple keys (each on a line of their own).
And I am pretty sure that it must have the proper line ending (LF) not Windows (CRLF) or Mac (CR).
Would not hurt to check what that single line record is using for a line ending.

Now try with full debug reporting on your ssh client (double v):
ssh -vv <whereever>

If what you get doesn't make any sense, post the entire output.

Last edited by knc1; 02-17-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:06 AM   #54
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
That looks like what I would expect to see (no mention of usbnet anywhere) with one important exception.

It is located in the /tmp part of the file tree.
Yes, of course.

Code:
[root@kindle fonts]# grep ^root /etc/passwd
root:x:0:0:root:/tmp/root:/bin/sh
There are various ways to tackle this, either by changing root's home directory, or by doing some upstart magic at startup, but that wasn't the question of this thread.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:18 AM   #55
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Yes, of course.

Code:
[root@kindle fonts]# grep ^root /etc/passwd
root:x:0:0:root:/tmp/root:/bin/sh
There are various ways to tackle this, either by changing root's home directory, or by doing some upstart magic at startup, but that wasn't the question of this thread.
Yes, I see that from your post.

But this is a Kindle Touch, isn't it? The one with so many trouble reports?

Perhaps the putting root's home directory into the /tmp directory that is subject to clean-ups is part of the source of those problems.

We should start a thread about moving root's home directory to somewhere that isn't volitale (sp?)
I can't be of much help yet - my serial adapter cable is still two weeks away.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:34 AM   #56
ixtab
(offline)

Well, this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1
If ssh is still not working for you, we need to figure out how to get dropbear to look for the public key(s) under /tmp/* rather than under ~/.ssh
made me think that you didn't get that ~ actually is /tmp/root.

I personally think that it's actually a wiser choice (from Amazon's perspective) to put the root home directory under /tmp/ than to make it persistent. This way, even if something inadvertently shoots itself in the foot, at least such settings are cleared after a reboot. (Though I don't know which kind of setting would qualify here).
Old 02-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #57
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Well, this:

made me think that you didn't get that ~ actually is /tmp/root.
Your are correct -

The quote you made was from my post #53
The information on root's home directory was provided in your post #54

I admit that my crystal ball was off-line which prevented me from knowing what you would post __after__ I made my post.

Perhaps you could post a link to what you have in mind to write the next time you make a post, then I could take into consideration what you have not (yet) but will in the future, write.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #58
ixtab
(offline)

Well, I thought that it was pretty much crystal clear for anyone familiar with how SSH works from post #51 already that /tmp/root was root's home directory.

I also misunderstood your "Yes, I see that from your post." in post #55 as referring to post #51 (instead of #54, which you obviously meant), which is why I posted reply #56. Maybe "Yes, I now see that from your new post" would have been clearer.

Anyway, let's both stop the nitpicking and post-counting and return to actual problems
Old 02-18-2012, 02:30 AM   #59
sjheiss
Connoisseur
sjheiss began at the beginning.

Device: K3G, KF2
So, on Oneiric Ocelot I can't get usbnet to work via telnet or SSH. If I try to telnet, it says that all directories under /mnt/ do not exist (didn't check others, but /mnt/us/ access is a necessity), and if I try SSH/SFTP, it asks for a password, even though for most intents and purposes there is not a password. Has anyone else had this problem?

I'd love to be able to use my Kindle on Linux. Thanks for any help provided.
sjheiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:40 AM   #60
ixtab
(offline)

???

Sorry, I don't get your post. When does telnet complain about anything relating to "/mnt/" directories (and why does it do so)? And of course there is a password required to SSH/SFTP to the device. Check the documentation of the usbnetwork package for your device, I'm sure there is something in there relating to passwords.
Finally, your device does not behave any differently whether your are accessing it from Windows or Linux. So your last sentence is also somewhat mysterious to me

Maybe it's best to copy/paste some terminal output of what you did (and what went wrong).