Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-31-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
fiver22
fiver22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fiver22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fiver22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fiver22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fiver22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fiver22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fiver22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fiver22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fiver22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fiver22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fiver22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, pc, kindle, stanza, shubook, hp touchpad , moon+
From a Stanza lover: I've switched to ShuBook

I'm writing this for anyone in the same boat that I've been in since Amazon bought Stanza:
So, I received an ipod touch 5th gen for christmas and I was TERRIFIED that, because it was preloaded with iOS6, Stanza wouldn't work. Luckily it did (for the most part). One thing that was slightly annoying was that it couldn't use the full screen width and the icons looked pretty 'meh' on the new display.
Then I got a notification to update to iOS6.0.1 -no fool is fiver22, and no update is worth risking Stanza's death ...but still, I had been wondering what might replace Stanza for me since Amazon bought it to drown it. I've tried many readers for the iphone/ipod touch (both on my old 3rd gen and this new 5th gen) and tried quite a few for android (mostly on a HP Touchpad running CM9) -I can't tell you how frustrating it has been to find time and time again that nothing, NOTHING compared to Stanza.
A few days ago I bought the paid version of ShuBook. I didn't use it right away, I bought it on the recommendation of a fellow Stanza lover but couldn't bring myself to even try it. Yesterday, instead of launching Stanza, I launched ShuBook. I'm sold.
It took me a few minutes of poking around and looking at the FAQ, but I'm a believer.
There are things that could be improved but the bottom line is that it works in all the major ways I need it to. I suspect that what could be improved will be improved as the devs seem keen on feedback.
iBooks, Bluefire, Kindle App., etc have nothing on it. The only thing I worry about now is some massive .mobi pusher buying it and letting it die.
(as an aside if anyone is friendly with the devs you should push them to open source it so we never have another Amazon/Stanza fiasco.)

tl;dr: As a lover of Stanza I decided to try ShuBooks SE (the paid version outside of in app purchase) and I love it.
fiver22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Have you tried Marvin? Launched last month. See the neighbouring thread with lots of rave reviews from former Stanza users. Marvin is the new Stanza for me, and no doubt about it -- it's already better than Stanza. I found ShuBook lacking both in terms of features and the way it displayed the books (formatting issues, etc.).

PS: Marvin version for iPhone/iPod Touch coming up.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #3
Dreamnine
Enthusiast
Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, iPod Touch 5
I played around with Shubook but found nothing to like, really.

I muddle along with iBooks and Bluefire.
Dreamnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ShuBook is, indeed, a Stanza replacement. Even the interface is quite familiar.

I'm on an iPhone 4, however, and still running iOS 5, so what ShuBook has replaced is eReader. I shuffle between Stanza and ShuBook as I am typically reading two books at a time and it is easier to switch readers than switch books!

Dreamnine, I'm surprised that you found "nothing" to like in ShuBook! I can think of two things right off the bat that make it much better the iBooks: customizable color themes of text and background-- and NO animation on page turning. There are plenty more, but those are just two of the biggies.
robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:58 AM   #5
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

fiver22, agree 100% on ShuBook.

Wanted to ask you-- how did you like Stanza on the iPod Touch 5? I found both it and eReader troublesome because of the taller screen. They ended up putting the status bar much further down--and thus couldn't take advantage of the full screen.

That also mean that the time showed up--which I avoid with black tape on my iPhone 4! I don't like knowing what time it is in the middle of the night! Hence, I put a strategically place piece of black tape right at the top of the screen covering the time. With an IPT, that trick won't work with older apps!
robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2013, 09:38 AM   #6
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Exclamation

ShuBook has trouble getting basic formatting right, and is therefore, unfortunately, no Stanza replacement.

Try loading this basic EPUB test file in ShuBook:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10440809/mi...alic-bold.epub
(credit goes to whoever posted it first in these MobileRead forums)

When ShuBook displays this test file properly, then we can talk.

I'm still on Stanza on my iPhone, and I'm keeping my iPhone on iOS 5, so that Stanza more or less works properly.

I already know what Stanza's replacement on the iPhone will be, though: Marvin. Check it out here:

http://marvinapp.com
http://marvinapp.com/whatsnew.html

I can pretty much guarantee Marvin will knock your socks off. The iPhone version is due to arrive within the next few months.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:42 AM   #7
fiver22
fiver22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fiver22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fiver22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fiver22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fiver22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fiver22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fiver22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fiver22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fiver22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fiver22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fiver22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Glad you asked: what I liked: I COULD read on it. What I disliked -settings sometimes did strange things. My biggest gripe ws that stanza on 5 looked odd whith the massive borders -icons also showed up lookin quite pixleated.
Lemma say again: Stanza was/is beautiful. I will never forgive Amazon. Never will I buy a book from them, never will I buy hatdware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinson View Post
fiver22, agree 100% on ShuBook.

Wanted to ask you-- how did you like Stanza on the iPod Touch 5? I found both it and eReader troublesome because of the taller screen. They ended up putting the status bar much further down--and thus couldn't take advantage of the full screen.

That also mean that the time showed up--which I avoid with black tape on my iPhone 4! I don't like knowing what time it is in the middle of the night! Hence, I put a strategically place piece of black tape right at the top of the screen covering the time. With an IPT, that trick won't work with older apps!
Old 01-21-2013, 01:44 AM   #8
fiver22

I HAVE since noticed s few issues displaying text on Shubook -this is something that, in my excitement, I had missed. It has not stopped me from using it and my main reader but it is DEFINITELY something that requires work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
ShuBook has trouble getting basic formatting right, and is therefore, unfortunately, no Stanza replacement.

Try loading this basic EPUB test file in ShuBook:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10440809/mi...alic-bold.epub
(credit goes to whoever posted it first in these MobileRead forums)

When ShuBook displays this test file properly, then we can talk.

I'm still on Stanza on my iPhone, and I'm keeping my iPhone on iOS 5, so that Stanza more or less works properly.

I already know what Stanza's replacement on the iPhone will be, though: Marvin. Check it out here:

http://marvinapp.com
http://marvinapp.com/whatsnew.html

I can pretty much guarantee Marvin will knock your socks off. The iPhone version is due to arrive within the next few months.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:46 AM   #9
fiver22

To each her or his own -I totally respect that. I, personally found iBooks and Blufire almost offensive to use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
I played around with Shubook but found nothing to like, really.

I muddle along with iBooks and Bluefire.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:49 AM   #10
fiver22

I have not -nor had I heard of it until you mentioned it. I VERY much look forward to an ipod touch version. i will drop any app for something better. I felt ...protective of Stanza but that was because it surprised me and did exactly wehat I wanted it too. I HOPE to find an app that makes me feel the same way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Have you tried Marvin? Launched last month. See the neighbouring thread with lots of rave reviews from former Stanza users. Marvin is the new Stanza for me, and no doubt about it -- it's already better than Stanza. I found ShuBook lacking both in terms of features and the way it displayed the books (formatting issues, etc.).

PS: Marvin version for iPhone/iPod Touch coming up.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:04 AM   #11
Shell30Bell
Avid Reader
Shell30Bell began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, iPhone
I've been happily using ShuBook for 6 months now - have tried Marvin, but at this stage still prefer ShuBook.
Shell30Bell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
io6, shubook, stanza