Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-07-2012, 12:50 AM   #16
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Yes, so I discovered via Google
My first small clue was the title of this thread.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:16 AM   #17
bettyruthe
Enthusiast
bettyruthe began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
I don't know the specs on your Thrive, but if you don't have 2G of RAM I would not worry about the processor.
There may be a reason that it came with XP and not Vista (assuming it was made in that era)
Thrive is the tablet. You do not say what your computer is
Linux may be an option (requires lots less computing power/RAM) It all depends on what other tasks you do.
Ducks, I have an AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual core processor 6000+, 3.01 Ghz, 1.87 GB of RAM. I use WordPerfect more than anything -- I do legal transcriptions -- and so Linux couldn't be used for that.
bettyruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:24 AM   #18
bettyruthe
Enthusiast

DoctorOhh, the reason I asked about changing to ePub is because that's what it says in the info in http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....kindle-fire-hd. Why does it say to change it?
Old 11-07-2012, 01:45 AM   #19
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyruthe View Post
DoctorOhh, the reason I asked about changing to ePub is because that's what it says in the info in http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....kindle-fire-hd. Why does it say to change it?
That section is talking about the Content Server not Calibre Companion. But the content server works fine with mobi files so I'm guessing that section may be a little out of date.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:19 AM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Ducks, I have an AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual core processor 6000+, 3.01 Ghz, 1.87 GB of RAM. I use WordPerfect more than anything -- I do legal transcriptions -- and so Linux couldn't be used for that.
That hardware should run W7. A little more RAM would never hurt

WP 8 had a Linux edition, but I can't remember if it was available in the Legal edition.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #21
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
W7 on a lowly P4? (Just like XP runs on a P3 with 256M )
Sure, why not? The machine I'm typing this on is a 3.2Ghz P4 running Win7 Enterprise. Works at least as well on it as XP, which it used to run before.

It does have 4GB RAM, though.
mbovenka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #22
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Sure, why not? The machine I'm typing this on is a 3.2Ghz P4 running Win7 Enterprise. Works at least as well on it as XP, which it used to run before.

It does have 4GB RAM, though.
IIRC A 32 bit Windows OS on P4 (32-bit) can't use most of that last GB of RAM

Nice to know that it need less CPU power than Vista did
I wonder why all the systems being sold, all have way more crunch power than a P4? (Gamers dominating the consumer market? Nah! They build Monster Systems that dim lights during game play )
Old 11-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #23
bettyruthe
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
That section is talking about the Content Server not Calibre Companion. But the content server works fine with mobi files so I'm guessing that section may be a little out of date.
Oh, okay. Thanks. It didn't make sense to me.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #24
bettyruthe
Enthusiast

Quote:
That hardware should run W7. A little more RAM would never hurt

WP 8 had a Linux edition, but I can't remember if it was available in the Legal edition.
I'm still working on WP6. I need to upgrade that too. What is a good price for 2G of RAM?

Oh, BTW, I like your kitty. I have 6.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #25
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I'm still working on WP6. I need to upgrade that too. What is a good price for 2G of RAM?

Oh, BTW, I like your kitty. I have 6.
Where (in the world) are you?
Which type (DDR,DDR2...)?

We have Fry's down the street (used to have a Microcentre a few miles away), 32G (quad)of DDR3 1866 is $159, 16G DDR3 (dual)1600 is $69
Old 11-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #26
bettyruthe
Enthusiast

Quote:
Where (in the world) are you?
Which type (DDR,DDR2...)?

We have Fry's down the street (used to have a Microcentre a few miles away), 32G (quad)of DDR3 1866 is $159, 16G DDR3 (dual)1600 is $69
I live in Pensacola, FL, and I have DDR2 memory. I've heard of Fry's, never heard of Microcentre, but we don't have either here. I was just wondering what a good price would be. I'm sure I could find something online. Thank you for the info.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:48 PM   #27
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I live in Pensacola, FL, and I have DDR2 memory. I've heard of Fry's, never heard of Microcentre, but we don't have either here. I was just wondering what a good price would be. I'm sure I could find something online. Thank you for the info.
There are 2 in Georgia, The only California one left is in So Calif.
Fry's is West Coast
Old 11-08-2012, 02:03 AM   #28
bettyruthe
Enthusiast

I have a new question. How do I tell calibre where to find my ebooks on my Kindle app? I'd like to move some of my books I already have to the calibre library. If I go to the View Device, all I see are the books I have moved from calibre to Kindle, not the other books I have.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:05 AM   #29
bettyruthe
Enthusiast

Quote:
I have a new question. How do I tell calibre where to find my ebooks on my Kindle app? I'd like to move some of my books I already have to the calibre library. If I go to the View Device, all I see are the books I have moved from calibre to Kindle, not the other books I have.
I'm sorry. I forgot something. I could move the books to my hard drive, but I can't figure out how to know which book it is because Kindle changes the names of the files to some jibberish.