Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 09:16 AM   #1
casperpearl
Enthusiast
casperpearl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!casperpearl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!casperpearl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!casperpearl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!casperpearl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!casperpearl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!casperpearl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!casperpearl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!casperpearl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!casperpearl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!casperpearl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: none
Call for "The Memory Eater" Anthology Submissions

Hello everyone,

I would like to extend an invitation for all authors to submit a short story for an anthology I'm putting together called "The Memory Eater". Information below:

“Have a cheating ex you can’t stop thinking about? How about a past failure which now defines you? Do you wish you could forget about the time you walked in on your parents making your brother or sister?

“Yes? Well then today’s your lucky day. Introducing the brand new Memory Eater—an orb-like device that fits neatly around your head like a diver’s helmet with the ability to locate and destroy any memory in the human mind.

“Victims of rape no longer need to fear dating. Drunk drivers don’t have to regret getting back on the road. And for those who have lost loved ones, you no longer need to mourn.

“Today is a new day. Today is your day. Start it off by deleting the past so you can save your future.”

And so reads the advertisement for the Memory Eater. Performed by licensed technicians, the process is fairly simple. Go to a Memory Eater store and let a licensed technician enter your mind for five minutes. After a simple search and destroy command, followed by a mind defragmentation, the selected memory will be gone from the customer’s memory forever.

But be warned, for sometimes memories are strung together. Like an ex-husband and children. Or drugs and a $50,000 college education. And if a licensed technician makes a mistake (only 3% error rate), you may forget how to walk, or how to talk, or how to go to the bathroom.

There have also been reports of “subject tampering”. For instance, a man went in to have his nagging wife deleted, but it turns out his wife paid the technician more money to wipe video games, beer and sports from his mind. Now the man apparently watches The Notebook every night while eating bonbons with his wife.

But such is the case with any new technology. There are always pros and cons, glitches and total catastrophes.

Anthology Information:

· Submissions will be open from March 15, 2011 to TBA. They will close two weeks after I announce last call.
· Writers will split an equal amount of the profits.

Guidelines for your story:

· While the backdrop of the story must relate somehow to the Memory Eater, a character does not necessarily have to have a memory erased. A character may think they had a memory erased, when in fact they didn't. Or perhaps you can take this idea in a different direction.
· Every genre is acceptable.
· I'm looking for 25-30 stories total, ranging from humorous to thought-provoking to emotional. I want to see how this technology goes wrong. How it goes right. What effect it has on our future.
· Above all else, these stories should be entertaining.
· There is no word count or limit on submissions.

Guidelines for sending your story:

· Email your stories to: anthologies2011@gmail.com
· Please paste your story in the body of the email. I won't open attachments.
· You do not need to include a cover letter or qualifications.

Feel free to email me with any questions. I'm a pretty laid back guy, so don't be shy.

I want to thank you in advance for participating, and I look forward to reading your stories.

C. P.

Last edited by casperpearl; 07-12-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So... Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind?
Old 03-24-2011, 03:03 PM   #3
casperpearl
Enthusiast
casperpearl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!casperpearl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!casperpearl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!casperpearl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!casperpearl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!casperpearl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!casperpearl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!casperpearl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!casperpearl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!casperpearl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!casperpearl is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
I never saw the movie, but I looked it up after someone else mentioned it. So yeah, same idea, but more about the possibilites, not just focusing on two people.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:59 PM   #4
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
FAQ is available at http://anthologies2011.blogspot.com/...ip-of-day.html

Relevant bits (from my perspective):
Q: ... what rights the author retains.
A:
While the contract I'm creating is still in early development, I'm most likely going to ask authors for exclusivity for 6 months, non-exclusive Electronic and Audio Rights, World English-Language Anthology Rights and First Foreign-Language Rights.

Q: "Is this something you're doing as a physical book, or ebook?"
A:
I'm aiming to release this anthology as print-on-demand through CreateSpace and sell it on Amazon. Next I plan to release the anthology as an ebook through Kindle and other formats.

After the book has been available for a few weeks, I also plan to release it as a free PDF file. The point of this is to generate buzz/readers. So for every person who reads it for free, you hope they bring in two or more potential customers.

Q: Who is financially responsible for the editing, proofreading, etc? Who will be listed as the publisher? (I assume you since you are the one running this?)
A:
The profits will be split by the total number of published stories(less cover artist)/individual author's total number of published stories. The editor will be counted as a published author, sharing in the profits as well. I will be listed as the publisher.

Q: What is the timeframe from submission to selection and then selection to publication?
A:
I will have selected the final stories 6-8 weeks after June 15, 2011. Then I will take 2-4 weeks to compile and edit. One week for a workshop/plan of action meeting. 2-4 weeks to release the POD version. That's aiming for an October 2011 release.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:23 PM   #5
casperpearl
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
FAQ is available at http://anthologies2011.blogspot.com/...ip-of-day.html

Relevant bits (from my perspective):
Q: ... what rights the author retains.
A:
While the contract I'm creating is still in early development, I'm most likely going to ask authors for exclusivity for 6 months, non-exclusive Electronic and Audio Rights, World English-Language Anthology Rights and First Foreign-Language Rights.

Q: "Is this something you're doing as a physical book, or ebook?"
A:
I'm aiming to release this anthology as print-on-demand through CreateSpace and sell it on Amazon. Next I plan to release the anthology as an ebook through Kindle and other formats.

After the book has been available for a few weeks, I also plan to release it as a free PDF file. The point of this is to generate buzz/readers. So for every person who reads it for free, you hope they bring in two or more potential customers.

Q: Who is financially responsible for the editing, proofreading, etc? Who will be listed as the publisher? (I assume you since you are the one running this?)
A:
The profits will be split by the total number of published stories(less cover artist)/individual author's total number of published stories. The editor will be counted as a published author, sharing in the profits as well. I will be listed as the publisher.

Q: What is the timeframe from submission to selection and then selection to publication?
A:
I will have selected the final stories 6-8 weeks after June 15, 2011. Then I will take 2-4 weeks to compile and edit. One week for a workshop/plan of action meeting. 2-4 weeks to release the POD version. That's aiming for an October 2011 release.
Thank you for posting this elf.

Also, if anyone is having a hard time coming up with ideas, feel free to email. I have a running list of plots that would work great.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:38 PM   #6
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
Old 04-25-2011, 08:17 AM   #7
casperpearl
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Old 05-02-2011, 07:41 PM   #8
casperpearl
Enthusiast

Just a friendly reminder--we're halfway to the deadline!
Old 05-03-2011, 05:49 AM   #9
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Is the "memory eater" a franchise, a corporation, a single installation or what?

My immediate thought is for a janitor with suspicions that he used to be the CEO of the Memory Eater corporation, or indeed one of a line of CEOs who've been out-witted by ambitious rivals.

Or what if someone desperately wants to get a memory back, but there's a policy that it isn't allowed, or a policy that it's stored as a backup and they lose the backup, or the backup is stolen, or the backup is being shared as entertainment on the blackmarket - people's shameful memories for sale.

How do you reconcile all this without a more robust framework? Writers are going to be tripping over each other's ideas.

But, neat idea for an anthology even if Spotless Mind did get there before you - it wasn't exactly the original memory manipulation story. Look at "We Can Remember You Wholesale" by PKD, which became "Total Recall".
Old 05-03-2011, 08:50 AM   #10
casperpearl
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
Is the "memory eater" a franchise, a corporation, a single installation or what?

My immediate thought is for a janitor with suspicions that he used to be the CEO of the Memory Eater corporation, or indeed one of a line of CEOs who've been out-witted by ambitious rivals.

Or what if someone desperately wants to get a memory back, but there's a policy that it isn't allowed, or a policy that it's stored as a backup and they lose the backup, or the backup is stolen, or the backup is being shared as entertainment on the blackmarket - people's shameful memories for sale.

How do you reconcile all this without a more robust framework? Writers are going to be tripping over each other's ideas.

But, neat idea for an anthology even if Spotless Mind did get there before you - it wasn't exactly the original memory manipulation story. Look at "We Can Remember You Wholesale" by PKD, which became "Total Recall".

The memory eater was invented by a company. Think Red Box. As long as you don’t live out in the sticks, there’s probably one nearby.

There can be rivals or knockoffs. One author even used stolen memories in her story. The problem I didn’t want to run into was being too specific. I want to give authors as many options as possible, and I think if you work under the guidelines I’ve listed, everything will run smoothly.

“My immediate thought is for a janitor with suspicions that he used to be the CEO of the Memory Eater corporation, or indeed one of a line of CEOs who've been out-witted by ambitious rivals.

“Or what if someone desperately wants to get a memory back, but there's a policy that it isn't allowed, or a policy that it's stored as a backup and they lose the backup, or the backup is stolen, or the backup is being shared as entertainment on the blackmarket - people's shameful memories for sale.”

Both of these plots sound interesting and are ideas I haven’t seen done yet. I especially like the idea of taking backups to use for shared entertainment.

The collective of artists out there think of ideas I never would have, because I’m just one person. And perhaps, if I made the framework very specific, this idea wouldn’t have popped up.

Machine of Death used a similar set of vague guidelines, and as I was rereading it the other day, I realized how many more voices/plots they churned out because of that.

So far, with the entries I received, everything is working out perfectly. However, if you do have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask, and I’ll try and answer them as best as I can.

But on a side note, great thinking with the black-market and shared memories. I’d love to see a story based on this idea.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #11
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casperpearl View Post
But on a side note, great thinking with the black-market and shared memories. I’d love to see a story based on this idea.
Anybody wants it, they can have it. I'm already rolling around an idea involving the mob (what better way to deal with inconvenient witnesses?), a greeting cards store-owner who has dedicated his life to helping people remember birthdays and anniversaries, and a teenage girl who's desperate to have a memory worth erasing.

Nothing will come of it. I started a re-write on an old story about a week ago. Managed a paragraph so far.

I'll just finish this Peter Hamilton novel and get right on it. Ah, sweet procrastination...

Last edited by dadioflex; 05-03-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:48 AM   #12
casperpearl
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
Anybody wants it, they can have it. I'm already rolling around an idea involving the mob (what better way to deal with inconvenient witnesses?), a greeting cards store-owner who has dedicated his life to helping people remember birthdays and anniversaries, and a teenage girl who's desperate to have a memory worth erasing.

Nothing will come of it. I started a re-write on an old story about a week ago. Managed a paragraph so far.

I'll just finish this Peter Hamilton novel and get right on it. Ah, sweet procrastination...
I'll add the black market idea to the list. A greeting card store owner coupled with the mob sounds very unique.

Usually when I can't write, I force myself to. Sometimes my best work manifests during these forced sessions. But some of my worst work also comes from here.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:01 PM   #13
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count

So I'm actually about 700 words into a story set in 14th Century Italy. I may have veered a little outside the guidelines but there is a memory eater involved. He's French. I can give him an "orb" if necessary.

How do you feel about sexual themes (nothing lurid) and cursing? In the anthology, I mean. That wasn't a come-on.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:08 PM   #14
casperpearl
Enthusiast

As long as the Memory Eater is involved and serves a purpose, your story will meet the requirements. After that, I'm looking for great storytelling/unique ideas.

I'm fine with sexual themes/cursing as long as they benefit the plot. I'm not, however, a fan of things thrown in there just for shock value.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:48 AM   #15
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count

Naw, I'm all about the innuendo, as the Italians would say.
Closed Thread

Tags
anthology, author, contest, publish, write