Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-31-2010, 06:37 PM   #1
atmom
atmom began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Nook Covers - Alternatives?

I went to purchase a cover for my Nook at my local B&N store. I was a little surprised at the cost $39.99 and up for most of them. Does anyone have an alternative that they have chosen that they feel is of good quality?

Thanks in advance!

MS
atmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:13 PM   #2
lisajjb
Enthusiast
lisajjb began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre, Nook Color, Samsung Galaxy 10"
I got mine off ebay for $22. Its a traditional cover with magnetic snap but instead of only holding at the corners it covers the entire outer edge. It has openings for all the buttons and ports. I really like it, feel it is secure. I also like that it is fairly inconspicuous when closed it looks like its just a dayplanner.
lisajjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
jedifarfy
Zealot
jedifarfy doesn't litterjedifarfy doesn't litter

Device: rooted nook color, nook wifi 1st edition
I'm cheap and have a strong desire to be crafty, so I made mine. My first was a journal that matched this: http://milo.com/2011-weekly-planner-...ement-calendar

I learned a lot from that. Today I'm making one from this journal: http://milo.com/chinese-peony-lined-journal-65x9

Despite the site listed differently, they're the same size. I have a wifi but a color fits there too. I used directions from how to make a book safe to do it. I'll be sure to make cuts on the bottom and top for ports and such this time. I jumped in a bit too quickly the first time.
jedifarfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:10 PM   #4
atmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisajjb View Post
I got mine off ebay for $22. Its a traditional cover with magnetic snap but instead of only holding at the corners it covers the entire outer edge. It has openings for all the buttons and ports. I really like it, feel it is secure. I also like that it is fairly inconspicuous when closed it looks like its just a dayplanner.
Do you have a link to the one that you purchased?
Old 12-31-2010, 10:59 PM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
This is counterintuitive, but check Amazon. I got a couple there for cheap.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:51 AM   #6
miklizro
Enthusiast
miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S3 running Aldiko and Kindle and Kindle 3 keyboard
I bought a gorgeous little bag/cover from Etsy

From a little shop called Borsa Bella
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BorsaBella?section_id=5190224
miklizro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:35 AM   #7
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I recently bought a case for the regular Nook from Overstock.com:
http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...3/product.html

They seem to have a lot of these "silicone" cases, all with different prices. The one I got is one of the least expensive ($7.99), but reading the reviews it seems like it might be one of the best. Some reviews of other cases there say that they are flimsy and/or not well made. But the one I got (product #13088267) is very sturdy and thick, so it gives you a lot of protection (on the sides and back - the front is open), and it is nicely finished and smooth to the touch.

The silicone case covers the side buttons and the top on/off plate (the speakers and recharge plugin on the bottom are not covered), but it has raised buttons on it and is quite flexible, so when you push down the buttons below activate very nicely. In fact, the side buttons seem easier to push with this cover over them. I was worried that the top on/off switch might be operated by the cover even when you didn't want it to, but that has never happened. It works perfectly.

The one negative about this silicone case is that it is kind of heavy (much heavier than the flimsy "silicone" cases B&N sells for $20).

Last edited by RAH; 01-01-2011 at 09:37 AM.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:23 AM   #8
atmom

Deleted.....

Last edited by atmom; 01-01-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:26 AM   #9
atmom

Sorry for my rant against issybird. That post just rubbed me the wrong way.

To all others, thanks for your suggestions. I just have a problem paying $45 for a cover and $15 for a screen cover from my B&N store. There are quite a few listed on Amazon and other sites, but you can't feel or look at them in person (obviously). That is why I wanted suggestions.

Again, thanks for your help.

MS
Old 01-01-2011, 10:50 AM   #10
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Wow. I think he meant it was counterintuitive because Amazon is the land of the Kindle, so people might think you cannot get Nook accessories there. I think it is kind of counterintuitive.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:50 AM   #11
jedifarfy
Zealot
jedifarfy doesn't litterjedifarfy doesn't litter

Device: rooted nook color, nook wifi 1st edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmom View Post
What is counter intuitive? Your post?

I was actually looking for recommendations outside the B&N store that people like. Unless you have something positive to add, please don't reply to my posts in the future.

I never thought of Amazon.... Duh!
I think you miss read the post and missed the point. It's "counter-intuitive" to check a B&N competitor for covers, skins, and such, NOT to post about wanting non-B&N made covers for B&N products. There are a lot available on Amazon for a variety of devices. They were actually being nice and leading you to another possible market.

For the record, I've found great items on there for all sorts of readers at good prices.

JF
jedifarfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:47 PM   #12
lisajjb
Enthusiast
lisajjb began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre, Nook Color, Samsung Galaxy 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmom View Post
Do you have a link to the one that you purchased?
This is the same seller I got mine from.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_1488wt_962
lisajjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #13
drv
Enthusiast
drv doesn't litterdrv doesn't litter

I found a pretty nice NC cover at casecrown.com.
drv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:57 PM   #14
swallman
Enthusiast
swallman began at the beginning.

When reading/using my NC, I like to use it "naked", but I wanted something to put it in to throw in my bag. Found this item over at Wally World - the NC fits nice and snug and it has a ton of padding. I think I could throw it around the room and it would be safe!

Only $ 15.

http://www.bodyglovemobile.com/produ...eve,133,13.htm
swallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:30 PM   #15
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
I guess they're out of stock right at the moment, but I ordered this, for about 11 bucks:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

It is a neoprene sleeve WITHOUT zipper, so no scratching the screen. I was also able to put on the rubber (or gel?) frame from B&N for 20 bucks, and I can still pop it into the neoprene without too much trouble.
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote