Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-30-2007, 10:41 AM   #31
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
There are a few issues. They are fans of certain writers/series. They buy books in the series ASAP when one is published and discuss it and re-read it. They would be deprived of this if they move to ebook reader.
I think it has more to do with the kind of readers they are, rather than their age. It's not an uncommon attitude among voracious genre readers. That's part of why Harlequin went e early on. Heck, Baen even makes ARCs available in digital form.

Since fantasy is huge right now, maybe the fantasy publishers are more reluctant to try something new. ("But it ain't broke!")
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 11:54 AM   #32
Fallen angel
Time Vortex Manipulator
Fallen angel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I'm half way down 30 and I got a Sony Reader during last August, but I don't consider myself being part of an odd group. I think the reason there aren't many young people with such devices is that they either don't know anything about ebook readers or the don't know about the eink technology and consider they'll getting eye strain. Otherwise, when people see my reader (after explaining what this "thing" is), they usually get excited about it. Of course I'm also getting the "it's a waste of money" reactions, but these usually come from people that seldom read even paperbacks, let alone ebooks.
Fallen angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:30 AM   #33
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
I'm 23 and I just ordered a Cybook. Most people I know don't know about e-readers let alone e-ink, but I'm sure there are a lot of people who would be interested. I don't remember how I came across the e-ink technology, but as soon as I had read about it, I knew I'd want one of those devices.

It's a pity though that there are so few German e-books ...

Last edited by IceHand; 12-02-2007 at 09:33 AM.
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:39 AM   #34
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I've been thinking about the original premise of this thread, and the more I do, the more astonished I am that anyone would suggest that only people over 30 would be interested in any "new-fangled, e-lec-tron-ic de-vice" -- the irony of the claim is really thick.

Or maybe the gal thinks that "Under 30" is the new "Over 60."
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:26 AM   #35
mflood
Enthusiast
mflood began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I'm 21, and recently bought an e-reader. I bought it after seeing a friend of mine (who's currently 19) with one, about six months ago. First gen Sony.

You guys have covered the arguments pretty well already, but as one of the younger ones in the crowd (seemingly, judging by the other ages in this thread) I thought I'd throw my weight into the mix.
mflood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:50 AM   #36
McDoof
McDoof is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Wha?

Just so you know, I'm a 36-year-old fossil myself...

But I have to question the validity of the original statement (apart from the obvious response: "Who cares what under 30's are doing. What's that got to do with me?").

Anyway, is the super-tech-savvy young woman REALLY a good representative of the market she's supposed to represent?

And what's her reasoning anyway (just curious)? Why WON'T the youngsters want ebook readers? Because we have 'em?

I'm sure that by the time the kiddies get a little older they won't need ebook readers as we know them. There'll be something even cooler (and I'll be the oldest guy in line to get it).

McDoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:58 AM   #37
Loopy65
Groupie
Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3; iPad & iPhone 4
I'm thinking that most people don't 'want' a reader because they know nothing bout them! .. or even that they exist in a lot of cases ..
My 6 year old LOVES hubby's iRex! .. She always wanted to read mine when I had it and has strongly expressed a desire to have one! lol .. by the time she's 'all grown up' I can't even begin to imagine where we'll be at with the whole 'e-reader experience' ..
Think someone voiced it really well when they suggested that there's not much reading of any kind goes on with most people! .. my brother only ever reads a magazine or a newspaper .. nothing where you stop, sit and read for any length of time ..
Loopy
Loopy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:15 PM   #38
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDoof View Post
Anyway, is the super-tech-savvy young woman REALLY a good representative of the market she's supposed to represent?
I think you might be on to something here. I'm of that category, and I know my tastes aren't representative of an entire category of the human race. I've been an ebook nerd since I was 22, and the only reason I waited until I was nearly 29 to buy a dedicated device is that I wanted the e-ink technology to mature a bit before diving in. I have a friend who is also a pretty heavy reader, and also quite a nerd, but I suspect she would never want a dedicated reader when she can use her tablet PC to read anything she wants. Another geeky girlfriend of mine loves reading ebooks on her PDA. To each her own, I say!
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:08 AM   #39
Anthuzad
Jester
Anthuzad began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS 700
I'm 20 an I bought mine for about 300 Euros (225 without the taxes). Guess what that says about how much I like the device? Very
Anthuzad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:34 AM   #40
McDoof

oops.

Last edited by McDoof; 12-04-2007 at 11:34 AM. Reason: I double posted.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:41 AM   #41
McDoof

Shampoo

While I think that the original statement from the young woman is an unfair generalization about her generation, I also think it's unfair to say that under-30's only read mangas and shampoo bottles.

Personally, I'm over 30 and I can't get enough shampoo-bottle content for my Sony Reader.

If you're like me, check out:

www.shampoo-labels.com/Head&ShouldersVol1.lrf

SPOILER: The last line is "Repeat"
Old 12-04-2007, 11:12 AM   #42
Boris
Enthusiast
Boris began at the beginning.

Device: Tablet PC, a broken Iliad V2
I'm 25 and love the Iliad. My laptop is great, but even with 2 batteries it's limited to 7 hours away from a plug socket. With the Iliad I can read for 15hours without straining my eyes or burning my lap. I don't disturb other people with fan noise every few minutes and I can read in peace (except for people wanting to have a look at it) I have the choice of hundreds of books, my notes, manuals and reasearch with me at all times. If I worked in an office with mains power and rarely travelled to visit friends, relatives etc then maybe I wouldn't see the point, perhaps this is the case with this young lady?
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:40 AM   #43
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
The problem is that a lot of young people don´t care about written stuff (=books) at all.

As long as their mobile phone or ipod works it´s all right ...

But this hasn´t changed the last centuries. There was always a reading minority ...

btw: @McDoof: Whats interesting about shampoo bottles?
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:49 AM   #44
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
And I have to admit, I´m 31.

BUT ... ... I´m waiting for a good e-book reader for almost all my life. It´s not my fault that the technological development sucks =)
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:24 PM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't think we should take her statement too literally. Saying NOBODY does <whatever> is just a figure of speech; it doesn't literally mean that not one single person does whatever the thing is, merely that the majority of people (in the speaker's experience) don't. When it comes to buying e-Book readers, this is very definitely true - the majority of people in any population sample would probably not buy one at current prices.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote