Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #121
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I re-read the original poster's message. Why would you ignore recommendations from others? Some of the BEST books I have ever read were recommended by other people, some outside of my usual genres as well. I would NEVER have read a western if someone didn't insist that I read this Zane Grey novel he had just finished.
I ignore recommendations from others. I have my own tastes, and am not really interested in what others like or dislike. I never lack for books to read, and am never concerned that some book that someone would have recommended to me if I had only listened might be the one book that changed my life.

I never discuss books with other people; my reading is something that, while not exactly "private', is something that is entirely and solely mine.

But, then again, I'm kind of odd.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:08 PM   #122
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrosvit View Post
I ignore recommendations from others. I have my own tastes, and am not really interested in what others like or dislike.
How do you find books to read?

If it's not based on recs, what does that leave--Keyword searches alone? (The snarky answer is "cover art," but I'm presuming that's not what you use.) Bestselling status? (Crowdsourced recommendations.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2012, 06:30 PM   #123
Nilotikus
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by uebyn View Post
I'm wondering: why did you switch to ebooks? Have you forgotten the pleasure of books browsing, or is the e-book experience comparable to that of the old-school experience? Or has convenience displaced experience?
Taken me years to work up to my first e-reader mainly because they've mostly been pretty crap in the past. They're not much better now but I gave up on waiting and bought a Kobo Glo a few weeks ago. At least the price has come down a bit and it was less than £100.

Over the past years much of my book browsing has been online. The choice on almost any subject is far greater. I like to read people's reviews of books and these days you can even preview them, all from the comfort of my own home any time of day or night.

This doesn't, however, stop me from browsing in book shops too when I have the time and certainly intend to buy more paper books, particularly those of a graphical nature.

I switched simply because I knew there was a huge range of books out there for free and I tend not to read books on my PC. So far I've not been disappointed and I've recouped the price of my e-reader many times over already.

The e-book experience is better in some ways, worse in others. Worse is that you can't just flip through the pages of a whole book like you can with paper.

Better is that you can change the font size, font face, line spacing to your liking. Your pages are automatically book marked when you close the book and you can put other book marks or highlight text even write notes and delete them.

You can look up words in the dictionary with just one touch and you can carry hundreds or even thousands of book around with you for no extra weight. I could never decide which books to take out with me, usually took a bunch which weighed a ton. Now I can take all of them in my pocket.

My reader also has chess and Sudoku included should I not feel like reading. You can browse the web. And if they'd made it with a proper OS (Android or Linux), a bigger screen, and a headphone jack then it's functionality would have been greatly expanded.

E-books use virtually no resources compared to their paper counterparts which appeals to my environmental conscience.

I see E-books as the future, the latest step in the information technology revolution. I think the take up so far has been down to the gross overpricing of e-books but that's something I think will change in the near future.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:36 PM   #124
Nilotikus
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrosvit View Post
I never discuss books with other people; my reading is something that, while not exactly "private', is something that is entirely and solely mine.

But, then again, I'm kind of odd.
Well, aside from gauging the worth of a book by reviews on Amazon that pretty much describes my reading habits too. Never thought of it as odd though. And it works just as well with e-books as paper.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:01 PM   #125
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
How do you find books to read?

If it's not based on recs, what does that leave--Keyword searches alone? (The snarky answer is "cover art," but I'm presuming that's not what you use.) Bestselling status? (Crowdsourced recommendations.)
There are several authors whose works I buy the moment they are released; probably 12-15 books per year. And I browse genres I like at the various book sellers' sites, and gauge my interest based on the synopsis. But I don't read the reviews. I also browse at B&M stores, although I don't remember the last time I bought a pbook (scratch that; I do - it was last year in an airport when I picked up a paperback copy of Dennis Lehane's "Moonlight Mile" after losing my Nook Color while on a trip). I haven't bought more than 5 or 6 pbooks since I bought my first ereader. I guess in theory I am somewhat influenced by the books the B&Ms choose to stick up front, as I see those first when browsing. But my purchases are based on the synopsis or the author, and not any review.

I also heavily re-read. That is the most compelling feature of the ereader to me; I can carry all my favorite books by all my favorite authors with me at all times, and jump back into one on a whim. I realize I am probably missing endless numbers of absolute gems by doing this, but I don't really care; I read for enjoyment, and I enjoy my favorites. But this probably explains why there are some popular authors that I avoid like the plague, even though they are very prolific in the genres I enjoy; I have sampled their work and think they write like 8th graders. Who would want to re-read that terrible prose over and over?

I guess you could sum up my reading habits by saying that you could hand me an ereader containing the books of my favorite 4 or 5 authors, and tell me I could read nothing else for the next several years, and I would happily read them over and over.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert