Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 03-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #16
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Vox
I finally have to agree with Reader Paradice. The Kobo Dev's don't seem to care at all about the horrible SOD, GPU acceleration is still not working, the system is still slowing down suddenly without any apparent reason, there is still no CPU scaling which means the battery drains uselessly.
Instead, they shovel nonsense around. It's madness.

The product has never been finished and since they don't care, it won't ever work as it should. Churn out the extra 100$ right away, otherwise you'll pay 300$ more after three months.
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #17
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
When I bought the vox in november, I was comforted by stories of how kobo continued to improve their past models through firmware upgrades. How naive I was...
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #18
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Vox
mr_nobody: We were also told that they would supply source codes and be open to modding. Turns out they infringe open source licenses and kill rooting.
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:44 PM   #19
Kboland
Zealot
Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy Nexus
It's actually amazing that since the March 2nd update, I've maybe used my Kobo for about 10 minutes (all of which made me mad), considering that I used it for about 3 hours a day prior to the update going through. Makes you wonder if the company that bought Kobo out last summer plans to keep the brand running for much longer.

Last edited by Kboland; 03-03-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Kboland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #20
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kboland View Post
It's actually amazing that since the March 2nd update, I've maybe used my Kobo for about 10 minutes (all of which made me mad), considering that I used it for about 3 hours a day prior to the update going through. Makes you wonder if the company that bought Kobo out last summer plans to keep the brand running for much longer.
Rakuten (the company that bought Kobo) definitely is keeping the brand running. In fact, Rakuten had their own e-reader in the Japanese market, and that's apparently being rebranded and rolled into Kobo.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2012, 12:46 AM   #21
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Yeap, the marketing focus on the updates is a huge disappointment. That is especially true when you consider that the ereading experience is woefully incomplete if you use books from other sources. The lack of support for Adobe's DRM (e.g. for library books) and PDF out of the box is terrible, both from the perspective of novices who don't know how to install 3rd party apps and from the perspective of readers who want a single collection rather than a separate collection for each app.

That being said, I don't think that the update makes the Vox any worse. The advertising laden widget can be removed or replaced with one of the two other widgets that Kobo provides and you can opt out of the "social reading" experience. If worse comes to worse, you can also use third-party reader software.