Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 08-01-2011, 09:52 AM   #1
Scully
Scully began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Newsfeed Posts Not Working...But They Are!

When I stumbled on the newsfeeds section of Calibre, and saw that they had all 4 major newsfeeds from Ireland, I just had to try it out and see if it would work.

The results are a bit confusing. Calibre (and the Kindle, if it's plugged into my PC) says that the downloads failed...yet there they are, on my PC and my Kindle! Curiously, I'm only getting certain sections...things like the Entertainment section aren't showing up. That's not especially a problem, but I was curious why some of it (the most important parts) are coming through, but some aren't...and I keep getting error messages that say it didn't work at all, but it did.

Thanks!!
Scully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:28 AM   #2
Scully

I had to wait until today to post the actual error message. I'm good at html, but I don't understand javascript...hopefully someone else will.

The error message says it failed...yet there it is on my Calibre program, and there it is on my Kindle. Strange...

----------------------------

Failed: Email The Irish Times to [e-mail.]

calibre, version 0.8.12
ERROR: Failed to email book: <b>Failed</b>: Email The Irish Times to [email]

Starting job: Email The Irish Times to [email]

Sending failed...

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 37, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 112, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 91, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 83, in sendmail_direct
IOError: Failed to send mail: SMTPServerDisconnected('Connection unexpectedly closed',)

Retrying in 1 seconds...

Sending failed...

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 37, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 112, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 91, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 83, in sendmail_direct
IOError: Failed to send mail: SMTPServerDisconnected('Connection unexpectedly closed',)

Job: "Email The Irish Times to [email]" failed with error:
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\threaded_jobs.py", line 83, in start_work
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 92, in __call__

Called with args: (u'c:\\docume~1\\scully\\locals~1\\temp\\calibre_0 .8.12_tmp_wvpnmu\\calibre_0.8.12_wveypscaltmpfmt.m obi', u'The Irish Times.mobi', u'[email]', u'News: The Irish Times', u'Attached is the The Irish Times periodical downloaded by calibre.') {u'notifications': <Queue.Queue instance at 0x08476800>, u'abort': <threading._Event object at 0x075C82D0>, u'log': <calibre.utils.logging.GUILog object at 0x075C80D0>}
Advert
Old 08-02-2011, 02:16 PM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
That looks like an email failure. What happens when you manually run the recipe? If it appears in Calibre, and there's no failure message, then you probably want to ask this question in another of the Calibre forums. The recipe forum is less well traveled than others.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:18 PM   #4
Scully

If you mean, click the red "Fetch News" button at the top, that's where the error message came from.

Last edited by Scully; 08-02-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:27 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Go to preferences->email and remove the email address you setup there.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2011, 05:33 PM   #6
Scully

You're the boss! But I have to admit, I'm a little baffled. Won't I need an e-mail address entered to collect news feeds, or upload documents to my Kindle? And what if I want to send a document to a friend's Kindle?
Old 08-05-2011, 05:35 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Since your email setup is not correct, you wont be able to do any of those things. But you can just disable auto sending of news via email in that same preferences location, instead of removing the email addresses.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:55 PM   #8
Scully

Is there a way (in plain English, I'm good with html but NO good with the scripting above) that I can correct my e-mail setup, so that I can do those things?
Old 08-05-2011, 06:44 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I'm afraid I only write in Esperanto, not plain English

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....ails-using-app
Old 08-15-2011, 10:55 AM   #10
Scully

Okay, thanks! I'll read through it again...maybe it'll make more sense this time, since now I have a little more familiarity with the program.