Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-20-2009, 08:26 PM   #1
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Vacation time, and where is 0.1.3?

Ok... so I'm going on a 10-day vacation tomorrow morning. Actually today morning, since it's past 2 AM where I'm sitting. And road trip starts in four hours. Great, I've got some packing to do. Who needs sleep anyway?

Point being, I was planning to release 0.1.3 before going on this trip. And I was toiling away on making View syncing happen, and it worked... finally. After a week of utter torture, it works. Just a few hours ago, it was done.

So I pushed all remaining issues planned for 0.1.3 to 0.1.4 so you could all benefit from this shiny new syncing and the loads of bugfixes and features implemented since the last release. Just look at the changelog! It's pretty full, isn't it?

And so just a few minutes ago I compiled the Windows version. Works great. Linux version? Awesomeness squared. But when it came to building the Mac version... well the build went great. But a massive problem appeared: the Code View isn't repainted properly when switching from Book View. Without giving you screenshots, believe me, that's very bad. It appears to be a consequence of the new sync mechanism. It works great on Win and Lin, but the Mac flakes out.

So the release got cancelled. You'll have to wait 'till I get back and sit down to fix it. I won't be able to work on Sigil during my vacation, and I won't even have Internet access so that's that.

And I skipped over so many things I needed to do today before leaving, all just so I could get this release out of the door. Alas, it was not meant to be.

Life. Amazing, innit?
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:28 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
aww !! how frustrating. of course, maybe us windows and linux users could test drive the new version while you're gone, so it will be really perfect for the mac users...

have a great vacation valloric, some time away from the keyboard will do you good !! where are you going, anyway ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2009, 08:41 PM   #3
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Ok... so I'm going on a 10-day vacation tomorrow morning. Actually today morning, since it's past 2 AM where I'm sitting. And road trip starts in four hours. Great, I've got some packing to do. Who needs sleep anyway?

Point being, I was planning to release 0.1.3 before going on this trip. And I was toiling away on making View syncing happen, and it worked... finally. After a week of utter torture, it works. Just a few hours ago, it was done.

So I pushed all remaining issues planned for 0.1.3 to 0.1.4 so you could all benefit from this shiny new syncing and the loads of bugfixes and features implemented since the last release. Just look at the changelog! It's pretty full, isn't it?

And so just a few minutes ago I compiled the Windows version. Works great. Linux version? Awesomeness squared. But when it came to building the Mac version... well the build went great. But a massive problem appeared: the Code View isn't repainted properly when switching from Book View. Without giving you screenshots, believe me, that's very bad. It appears to be a consequence of the new sync mechanism. It works great on Win and Lin, but the Mac flakes out.

So the release got cancelled. You'll have to wait 'till I get back and sit down to fix it. I won't be able to work on Sigil during my vacation, and I won't even have Internet access so that's that.

And I skipped over so many things I needed to do today before leaving, all just so I could get this release out of the door. Alas, it was not meant to be.

Life. Amazing, innit?
Have a good holiday, don't worry about the release, enjoy yourself, you deserve it for giving us this great piece of software
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:19 AM   #4
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Have a good holiday - you've earned it! We'll manage with 0.1.2 for a few more days
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:19 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
As a Windows user, I'm generously willing to forego the Mac version if you change your mind and decide to release the Windows and Linux versions only .

Have a good holiday - you've earned it!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2009, 04:48 AM   #6
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Ah, too bad.

View syncro is gonna be cool
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:53 AM   #7
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
I can't remember that we okayed your vacation Valloric...

Have a good one and don't worry about it.

He who waits from something good etc etc...
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:38 AM   #8
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
When you get back...can not find file

Sigil works great opening any file created here locally by calibre as well as an epub created by Harry.

BUT it will not open up a file from Google public domain epubs at the Sony Store.

It gives the error:

Can not read file C:/Users/Mike/My Documents/Sigil/scratchpad/Y1878JRAI8:
The system can not find the path specified.

The last element in the path changes each time.

The system is running Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit.

I can see the path being created. But each path is being created as read only.

Running as administrator doesn't help. Changing the permissions doesn't help because the system sets them back.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:53 AM   #9
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm back!

0.1.3 should be out as soon as I fix this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
As a Windows user, I'm generously willing to forego the Mac version if you change your mind and decide to release the Windows and Linux versions only .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
Sigil works great opening any file created here locally by calibre as well as an epub created by Harry.

<snip>
Please create an issue on the tracker.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:43 AM   #10
n643
n643 began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
This is my first post and I have to say you are my absolute hero, you have created my most wanted application.

Thank you for all the time you have invested in this project. I hope that you are well relaxed after your vacation.

For me the current version does everything I want if a bit slow at times. Will new versions be optimized to speed thing up a little?
n643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 12:49 PM   #11
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by n643 View Post
For me the current version does everything I want if a bit slow at times. Will new versions be optimized to speed thing up a little?
From what I've gathered, most performance problems in Sigil have so far been caused by poorly designed EPUB books (see this thread for instance). Unfortunately, Sigil tends to exacerbate this problem because it displays everything as one HTML flow. For a few weeks now I've been thinking about the feasibility of a potential redesign that would make Sigil more flow-oriented. This would speed things up considerably.

But the original issue still stands: poorly written HTML will slow down any browser, and Book View is basically one big integrated browser.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:54 PM   #12
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

woo hoo ! welcome back. i hope you had a great vacation ! not too hot, with that mask and cape ?
Old 08-31-2009, 02:19 PM   #13
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
woo hoo ! welcome back. i hope you had a great vacation ! not too hot, with that mask and cape ?
Maybe it's just been a long day, but I'm drawing a blank on that mask&cape reference.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:20 PM   #14
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Maybe it's just been a long day, but I'm drawing a blank on that mask&cape reference.
i thought all superheroes wore those ?
Old 08-31-2009, 02:35 PM   #15
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i thought all superheroes wore those ?