Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-20-2013, 02:14 PM   #16
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Your point being? Most jurists that I've spoken to seem to share that initial assessment.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:23 PM   #17
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Curious about the technical aspects... the site loads *very* fast for me. They are using a geo-DNS routed content delivery network, so ping times are excellent no matter where you're located. IP owner is the Internet Registry for Africa.
Thank you for providing this info Alexander.

It's made me realise that I haven't got a clue as to the similar technicalities being used by Sugar Sync, Dropbox, Box, Google Drive etc.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2013, 03:25 PM   #18
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Curious about the technical aspects... the site loads *very* fast for me. They are using a geo-DNS routed content delivery network, so ping times are excellent no matter where you're located. IP owner is the Internet Registry for Africa.
Interesting info.... but does the site still load ok for you, doesn't load at all for me, I just get a "This web page is not available" error message.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #19
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
The new service has nothing to do with legality. It is about hiding the data from the service provider, so that they can deny knowledge of illegal activities, and making it difficult for law enforcement to collect evidence.
I'm keeping an open mind. It's very early days re this company and Mr Dotcom's activities have been heavily 'perused' for quite some time.

One presumes that the New Zealand Government has not found fault with the use of the '.nz' or else the site wouldn't be able to use it; nor with other aspects of the new business under it's aegis.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #20
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Interesting info.... but does the site still load ok for you, doesn't load at all for me, I just get a "This web page is not available" error message.
Oops. Overload, I believe.

Try: http://154.53.224.130/
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2013, 03:57 PM   #21
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool, that works (how come?). Not that I plan to sign up or anything, just wanted to be nosy. Also, how does the way its hosted compare to sites like Dropbox etc?
Old 01-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #22
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Cool, that works (how come?). Not that I plan to sign up or anything, just wanted to be nosy. Also, how does the way its hosted compare to sites like Dropbox etc?
I've got 2.25 GB space with free Dropbox, so 50 MB isn't a lot from Mega.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #23
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre

It's 50Gb you get with Mega. I might sign up for it and use it for storing photos. An extra back-up is always handy.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #24
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
It's 50 gig, actually ...
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:34 PM   #25
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Oooops ..... I should've realised that when I was writing it!!!
Old 01-20-2013, 04:36 PM   #26
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Excerpt from the MEGA LIMITED TERMS OF SERVICE ("TERMS")

"What you can't do

17.5 use our website or a service, including, without limitation, any communication tools available through the website, or any forum, chat room or message centre that we provide:

17.5.1 to store, use, download, upload or otherwise transmit, data in violation of any law (including to breach copyright or other intellectual property held by us or anyone else);

17.5.2 to send unwelcome communications of any kind (including but not limited to unlawful unsolicited commercial communications) to anyone (e.g. spam or chain letters);

17.5.3 to abuse, defame, threaten, stalk or harass anyone;

17.5.4 to store, use, download, upload or otherwise transmit, unsuitable, offensive, obscene or discriminatory information of any kind;

17.5.5 to run any network scanning software, spiders, spyware, robots, open relay software or similar software;

17.5.6 to upload anything or otherwise introduce any spyware, viruses, worms, trojan horses, time bombs or bots or any other damaging items which could interfere with our, or anyone else's, network or computer system;

17.5.7 to use any software or device which may hinder the services (like mail bombs, war dialing, pinging etc.); "

http://154.53.224.130/#terms

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 01-20-2013 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Add the link
Old 01-20-2013, 04:42 PM   #27
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Anyone want to speculate what this means: (I'm referring in particular why the US is mentioned)

"Export Control

26. You may not use, export, re-export, import, or transfer any software or code suplied as part of your use of the website or our services: (a) into any United States or New Zealand embargoed countries ; or (b) to anyone listed as a specifically prohibited recipient by the United States Government or New Zealand Government. By using the website and our services, you represent and warrant that you are not located in any such country or on any such list. You also will not use the websiteor our services for any purpose prohibited by United States, New Zealand or any other law, including, without limitation, the development, design, manufacture or production of missiles, nuclear, chemical or biological weapons."

http://154.53.224.130/#terms

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 01-20-2013 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Add the link + clarify that it's the US I'm referring to
Old 01-20-2013, 04:48 PM   #28
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
As Kim Schmitz has some kind of "history": would you trust him any files/data that are important for you? Or don't you have any considerations in this direction?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:53 PM   #29
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
It seemed fast until I tried to upload something. Tried a putting up a 6 MB file as an experiment - it got to 9% and seems to have stopped.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm having trouble registering. I think Mega is mega overloaded.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote