Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

View Poll Results: Will the new Kindle(s) touch change your mind about getting a Nook Touch?
Yes 27 24.32%
No 73 65.77%
I don't know yet 11 9.91%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-11-2011, 07:10 PM   #91
Ubermensch
Connoisseur
Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
Are you sure the e-ink Kindles will have apps? I was under the impression only the Fire would have access to the app store. Is the touch running some form of Android?
It isn't specified on the Kindle official page, so I don't think there will be apps. In this case the point 2 doesn't go in favour of the Kindle, and point 1 goes as much for the Nook as for the Kindle. So I think it will be a question of personal preference.
Ubermensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:37 PM   #92
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
Are you sure the e-ink Kindles will have apps? I was under the impression only the Fire would have access to the app store. Is the touch running some form of Android?
Some Kindle apps do run on K4, unmodified. I read somewhere that a new KDK (Kindle Developer SDK) will come out soon, and let the apps target K4/KTouch. With a touch interface, some of them might even be usable.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-11-2011 at 07:48 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2011, 09:00 PM   #93
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
One reason my Nook Touch sits unused today is that it is now so much easier to get library ebooks on my Kindle. There are even a couple of workarounds that make it possible to browse and download from the library web site using the Kindle browser (a few rough edges to smooth out there), though using a computer browser is usually more efficient. And I like the full integration with the Kindle platform. When I can't finish a book and need to check it out again, it picks up with the reading position and any highlights I may have created previously. I can also download the books to my iPod or Xoom and view illustrations in color there (with zoom and pan). Library ebooks are a significant part of my 'diet' of late.

Amazon is rolling out some changes for handling of 'Personal Documents' that will extend Kindle platform services (cloud storage, sync, annotation backup) to content you convert or send via email to your Kindle. 5Gb of free storage for each account.

It's things like this that make me prefer Kindle to B&N platform. B&N seems too overwhelmed right now to even deliver a couple of simple updates for Nook Touch that would be very appreciated.

And yes, I'm looking forward to the $99 Touch 'SO' model. I think it will overwhelmingly outsell the non-SO, especially since it seems there will be an opt-out option (at least K4 has one). Sony Reader is much more feature rich and only $10 more as well. So yes, they need to reduce the Nook price.

In comparing Nook and Kindle platforms, a couple of other things bear consideration: 'lock-in', and format.

The former is clearly in B&N's favor: you can purchase content at B&N and you can read it on any compliant reading system, and there are many such systems (not including Sony that is). With Kindle, that reading system has to be one from Amazon. What if you don't like their software, or if they start churning out crap hardware? What if they go out of business, or you just don't want to do business with them any more for whatever reason? These are valid concerns.

In theory, "ePub is better than Kindle format," and that should weigh in B&N's favor as well. However, Nook STR may not be the best showcase for the format. Some books look better with Publisher Defaults, some decidedly not, the text options don't interact properly with each other, text size is not stable between books, etc., and so switching between books often means a trip to the text options panel to fix things (and some books can't be fixed). It's annoying, and goes beyond the usual typos and conversion artifacts common in ebooks everywhere. But Nook is by no means alone in having ineffectual yet necessary text layout options for ePub rendering. Publishers can hardly avoid creating ebooks that look bad on some ePub rendering systems (we've been through this with web browsers, and only recently have things smoothed out). The only real solution is to make the settings book-specific (and effective where possible), but hardly any ePub reading systems offer this. Say what you will about .mobi format not being expressive enough, but it's more predictable, and I almost never have to adjust text settings unless I just want a change of scenery.

So for me at least, there's no great advantage to ePub right now, and in some ways Kindle is better (while neither is totally great as things stand).

That said, my hope is that Amazon will adopt ePub3 in a year or two. it will take that long for any platform other than iBooks or the non-DRM Ibis Reader to support it meaningfully, so there's no rush. They also need to offer export-to-Adobe DRM files so you can use your choice of compliant reading systems (I assume that DRM is not going away any time soon, and that most people are not prepared to remove DRM). Maybe publishers will actually figure out how to format eBooks by then, too, so there aren't so many issues overall. mobi is old and crusty, and Amazon knows it, and knows publishers don't like dealing with it. They also know that there are many potential customers who will not enter their walled garden—however pleasant it may appear—without a key for the exit door.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-11-2011 at 09:10 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:13 AM   #94
dbeman
Enthusiast
dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook ST
Well I already own a nook ST, so I would need to go back in time and not purchase that in order to answer this question.

From my perspective most e-readers are pretty much the same; nook does some things better than Kindle; Kindle does some things better than nook. The new Kobo and Sony e-readers have their pros & cons as well.

So how did I make my choice?

I have a Barnes & Noble credit card; and through their rewards program I receive a $25.00 gift card every couple of months. Prior to my Barnes & Noble card I did have an Amazon card but was treated poorly by Chase Bank representatives when attempting to resolve an issue with my account, so I closed my account. Had that never happened I'd probably be waiting for my Kindle Touch to arrive as I type these words.
dbeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #95
tom e
tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubermensch View Post
It isn't specified on the Kindle official page, so I don't think there will be apps. In this case the point 2 doesn't go in favour of the Kindle, and point 1 goes as much for the Nook as for the Kindle. So I think it will be a question of personal preference.
Talking about really basic apps like this one, works on current model kindles, so I can't imagine it wouldn't on the new ones yeah? Look at the screen shots, they are all e-ink.

Whenever I say apps, I think people get the wrong idea of what I'm looking for. I've never wanted anything very 'powerful' or distracting. Just a few places to take notes and jot down appointments. I'm without a cell phone and don't want one, so it's really nice to me to have this additional function. Can't write a book on it, but I wouldn't on a cell phone anyway..

Here's the link, lots of other apps there are in e-ink and reviewed currently by folks who use them- couldn't be fire, as nobody has it yet. http://www.amazon.com/Calendar/dp/B0...f=pd_cp_kinc_1

Also when you read the comparison sheets of the kindles, under content it says 'Millions of books, newspapers, magazines, games, and docs'.. This is even on the nontouch model. Checkers chess and other non moving games are bought in the same store currently for current kindles, so I believe that this 'store' will be supported.

Truly not for everyone, but I drive a long way to school, and end up staying there for hours between classes. I will bring whatever reader I buy. So these functions might be kind of redundant for someone who uses it at home (calendar on my computer is WAY more functional) but it still beats writing dates on little slips of paper that get lost in the shuffle when I'm out with it.

Last edited by tom e; 10-12-2011 at 02:47 PM.
tom e is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert