Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-30-2010, 01:28 PM   #1
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Nook, Astak EZ Reader Pocket, iPhone 3g, Droid
Aldiko for Motorala Droid. Other Suggestions?

Has anyone used this application?

It works really well, I downloaded a few books from the app and it runs well, and also has the black background and white text option. Only issue I have had is sometimes a page turn will be delayed, but other than that is is great.

I haven't tried to add books myself yet, but going to try this weekend.

Also anyone else know of any good e-reader applications for the Droid?
rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:49 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Try here...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60484

I'm currently using Aldiko on my Hero. The only time I have a page turning delay is while it goes to the next chapter of a book.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:04 PM   #3
tmgplc
Enthusiast
tmgplc began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, Kindle Fire 7" (2014)
I have been using Aldiko for about 3 months and personally I think it is the best one out there. I have been able to copy any non-DRM epub books to the import directory on my sd card and simply import the books from Aldiko. I really have not had any problems or complaints and I use this program a lot. BTW you can easily convert any non-drm format to epub using Calibre.
tmgplc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:26 AM   #4
victorgoh
victorgoh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, iPad Air, Universal Book Reader Android
I'm using Aldiko on my HTC Legend. It's a great ebook reader.

I also have PDF Viewer that came pre-installed on the HTC Legend. It has a reformat function to make PDF files display better on the small screen. But it doesn't keep track of where I've read until or a bookmark feature. It's frustrating to track where I've read until using the PDF Viewer.
victorgoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:07 AM   #5
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Fortunately, Aldiko is a pretty good app. Unfortunately, it's the only one worth using for ebooks on the Android platform. I think the only one I haven't tried is the eReader app, but I don't like the eReader format.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:32 PM   #6
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I use Aldiko and FBReaderJ on my HTC Desire. Both are very nice, and very easy to use. And blindingly fast on my phone.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:32 AM   #7
victorgoh
victorgoh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, iPad Air, Universal Book Reader Android
I just found out about the iReader app for viewing txt, chm, palm pdb and mobipocket prc files. Now, I can have my collection of technical ebooks in chm format available on my HTC Legend.
victorgoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:20 PM   #8
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
I just started using Aldiko yesterday on my shiny new Droid Incredible. It seems to work well, but does anyone know if there's a way to get rid of the animation when you turn pages? I'm finding it distracting to have the page slide to the left and a new one slide in...I want the next page now, with no delay. I've been unable to find any way to change that in the settings (which doesn't mean it isn't there - I'm still very unfamiliar with the device).

Also, I hope this isn't the wrong place to ask, but I want to try FBreader also. But I can't get it to see any books on my SD card, even though I think I've set up the folder structure according to directions (book inside "Books" folder inside "sdcard" folder). A search indicates that others have had this problem, but I didn't find a solution.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:53 PM   #9
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
does anyone know if there's a way to get rid of the animation when you turn pages? I'm finding it distracting to have the page slide to the left and a new one slide in...I want the next page now, with no delay. I've been unable to find any way to change that in the settings (which doesn't mean it isn't there - I'm still very unfamiliar with the device).
Under Navigation Settings, set the Page Turn Speed to zero.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:33 PM   #10
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Under Navigation Settings, set the Page Turn Speed to zero.
Got it, thanks! The navigation menu kept opening partially scrolled down and I didn't know that option was there. I'm noticing the same behavior with some other menus - not sure if it's Android or just its implementation on this phone.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:16 AM   #11
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
My copy of FBReader defaults to keeping its library on /sdcard/Books

Just make sure that directory exists on your SD Card and plonk your epubs inside it. That's all I had to do to find and read them.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:13 AM   #12
wayrad
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnett View Post
My copy of FBReader defaults to keeping its library on /sdcard/Books

Just make sure that directory exists on your SD Card and plonk your epubs inside it. That's all I had to do to find and read them.
Problem solved! I had tried both /sdcard/Books and /Books, but nothing was working. I also found a post indicating that the problem was with the version at the App Store and the one on the FBReader website would work. It hadn't seemed to do any good when I posted earlier, but last night I noticed a new .FBReader folder inside a top-level Books folder on my card (can't remember if the Books folder had been newly created or if I had just not deleted it after my earlier tests). Anyway, now it's seeing books anywhere in that folder.

PS. I just realized - I downloaded FBReader the first time before I bought the card. Obviously it needed to do some setup on the card during installation!

Last edited by wayrad; 05-06-2010 at 07:18 AM.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:03 AM   #13
brendanl79
brendanl79 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage x2, Onyx BOOX Note 3
I have both Aldiko and FBReader on my Motorola DROID; they are both 'almost perfect' so I switch between the two.

Both are very responsive for actual reading, which is the most important part, and are almost equally customizable. Their respective bookshelf/library functions have different minor annoyances.

FBReader's easy one-step import (copy books into /sdcard/Books) has a cost: it regenerates the library data every time you call up that screen, and the delay can be unbearable as your library approaches 50-100 books or so. Also it is silly that it can't sort by title.

Aldiko makes you copy your books to an import directory, then press the "Import" button inside the program. A little more cumbersome, but it allows Aldiko to rely on its internal database rather than the much slower filesystem scan that FBReader must do, which means Aldiko's bookshelf loads almost instantly, even though it has all that graphical frou-frou. :-)

I don't really care about being able to browse and get/buy books from within my mobile reading app, but for what it's worth they can both do this now (FBReader as of very recently).

Since FBReader is open source I've been working on a patch so that the library rebuild will only happen when the user requests it. This should make the bookshelf screen load very quickly. Then I just have to add sort-by-title and FBReader will be perfect, then I won't need Aldiko anymore! :-D
brendanl79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:18 PM   #14
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I like FBReader, and use it exclusively. Setting it up (colors, fonts, etc.) is a little more “low level”, but once done its great.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:29 AM   #15
doog_smith
doog_smith doesn't litterdoog_smith doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300
Can Alkido display Adobe-DRM protected material downloaded from public libraries?

Hi. I was wondering if Alkido can display Adobe-DRM protected material downloaded from public libraries that use Overdrive?
doog_smith is offline   Reply With Quote