Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 01-07-2015, 05:47 PM   #16
pegasi&prefects
Eleanor Beresford
pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pegasi&prefects ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Looks like I mistook the 'J' for a 'T'.

Oh, me too!

I actually like both covers quite a lot. I think they are very attractive. I agree with everything said about cold and bleak vs warm and hopeful, so it depends on the feel you are trying to project.

BUT, I think that J is a problem. I think the font looks great onscreen, but... I really did think the book was called The Test.
pegasi&prefects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:31 PM   #17
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Thanks!
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:25 AM   #18
magicmonster
Groupie
magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color, & Dell Axim X50v
First looks like it could be a murder mystery. Second a fluff, romance or chicken lit.
magicmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:25 AM   #19
magicmonster
Groupie
magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color, & Dell Axim X50v
Chick lit.... darn auto correct
magicmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:47 AM   #20
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Now I want to read some chicken lit.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:37 AM   #21
burnafterreading
Groupie
burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Arc7HD/10HD, smartphones
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Now I want to read some chicken lit.
ask and ye shall receive. of course, the first 8-9 results from google are chick lit, but if you persists, you get...

http://chickenlitlibrarian.blogspot.ca/

burnafterreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:20 PM   #22
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I may be a little late to the party with this but ...

After many many many... years of doing design work there is an issue with the title text that, small as it is, shouts "cheap DIY cover art" to my sensitive eyes. I also agree with the consensus here that the "T" need fixing.

The irritant for me is the straight-out-of-the-box text usage that shows the small flaws that are always present in script fonts. In natural handwriting the out bound stroke of one character flows perfectly into the inbound stroke on the next. When using computer fonts these don't always align since the font designer can't make the flow perfect for all letter combinations. This is seen in the cover in the connection between the "e" and the "s" and again in the connection between the "s" and the "t". Similar "fixes" may be desirable on the small "the" also, I can't really tell in the low resolution original.

What should be done is that the text should be set in a vector drawing program (e.g. Adobe Illustrator, Corel DRAW, ...) and converted to outlines/paths and those vector paths should then be edited to produce the proper flow. This "used to be text but is now vector art" object can then be positioned in the final program used to composite the complete cover (e.g. Photoshop, ...). While editing the vector paths, the "T" can be trimmed of its excessive loop.

I've attached two JPEGs, the left with the "flaws" are highlighted in green and the right with my suggested fixes. (This was a quick-and-dirty Photoshop edit rather than a proper reconstruction)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TheTest_flaws.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	133585   Click image for larger version

Name:	TheTest_fixes.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	133586  

Last edited by dwig; 01-09-2015 at 12:24 PM.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:48 PM   #23
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
I may be a little late to the party with this but ...

After many many many... years of doing design work there is an issue with the title text that, small as it is, shouts "cheap DIY cover art" to my sensitive eyes. I also agree with the consensus here that the "T" need fixing.

The irritant for me is the straight-out-of-the-box text usage that shows the small flaws that are always present in script fonts. In natural handwriting the out bound stroke of one character flows perfectly into the inbound stroke on the next. When using computer fonts these don't always align since the font designer can't make the flow perfect for all letter combinations. This is seen in the cover in the connection between the "e" and the "s" and again in the connection between the "s" and the "t". Similar "fixes" may be desirable on the small "the" also, I can't really tell in the low resolution original.

What should be done is that the text should be set in a vector drawing program (e.g. Adobe Illustrator, Corel DRAW, ...) and converted to outlines/paths and those vector paths should then be edited to produce the proper flow. This "used to be text but is now vector art" object can then be positioned in the final program used to composite the complete cover (e.g. Photoshop, ...). While editing the vector paths, the "T" can be trimmed of its excessive loop.

I've attached two JPEGs, the left with the "flaws" are highlighted in green and the right with my suggested fixes. (This was a quick-and-dirty Photoshop edit rather than a proper reconstruction)
Insightful comment. Your "T" does look better and never noticed the consonant-to-consonant burrs. Appreciate it.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote