Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-19-2011, 10:43 AM   #16
Honf
Enthusiast
Honf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanga View Post
I wasn't running it wine, just running the pwf script. Never used wine - I'd give it a go, but I'm hunting up canti now instead.

I attached a .exe program compiled to run under windows. How did you even open it in Ubunto without using either Wine or some sort of VM machine?
Honf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:57 PM   #17
luistfe
luistfe began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
Fantastic. Good sharpness. The best software.
Thank you very much.
Greetings from Spain (Saludos desde España)
luistfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:41 PM   #18
twotools
twotools began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Wow! That was fast!

Pleased to report that it works really nicely, no problems at all with conversion. Plus lightning quick compared to my old imagemagick workflow, though the best feature is still the removal of rows and columns.
twotools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:52 PM   #19
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

Hmm - personally I would rather the rows and columns removal were optional. I am willing to risk a little eyestrain to get the original look of the page =).

EDIT: Downloaded the source and ran that - lol - no wonder it didn't work very well. The pwf script did work though - but I'm guessing that's why none of the other stuff worked. Just downloaded the windows.exe and tried to run it in wine - no luck. Anyone else get this working in linux?

EDIT2: http://foosoft.net/mangle/ says running the mangle script is what I needed to do in ubuntu (further down the page).

Either way's fine - the other software sucks all my resources, so if I can get this working I'd be thankful.

Last edited by Tanga; 03-19-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Tanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:49 PM   #20
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

OK, so I got it running, but still have the problem with all my jpgs being all over the place. =(

The numbers of the jpgs are intuitive - eg 001 to 360 or so (hence why I don't want to reorder them all by hand) - the only one I'd have to move would be the cover if they appeared in order. Any chance of a button to make them appear in order of naming, or to have the program do that automatically?

Last edited by Tanga; 03-19-2011 at 10:52 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:43 AM   #21
Honf
Enthusiast

Mangle has nothing to do with my program. (you did download the attachment in the OP? Just to be sure )

The program should already automatically order images. To be safe I'll put in a automatic check. Check OP for new version and changelog.

Last edited by Honf; 03-20-2011 at 03:50 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:11 AM   #22
Tanga
Zealot

Oh, no, I didn't *blush*. I must have gotten my threads mixed up, sorry. I did try yours. It only partially runs under wine so far (it shutdown when I pressed 'convert'). What processes does it call to do that? Might give me an idea of why it fails in wine.

Last edited by Tanga; 03-20-2011 at 04:13 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:38 AM   #23
Honf
Enthusiast

If you don't select the pngcrush option is a self contained program. I'll try to check it out using Wine since I have no idea why it doesn't work (could be a filesystem browsing error or image loading problem if it crashes immediately).

This is the only bad point of C++ (and other low level) programs. They need to be recompiled/ported per OS.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:40 AM   #24
twotools

Bug report: Mangsize 0.23 terminates after converting the first few pictures from a folder. I searched for a dump log but couldn't find one. Funnily though Mangsize 0.22 doesn't have the same problem so I went back to using it.

Also I have another small request - is it possible to enable the minimize button, or even to minimise to system tray? That would be helpful for leaving it on and forgetting about it while I do other things.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #25
Honf
Enthusiast

Yea sorry. No logs here, when it crashes it crashed hard

Strange though, I converted 2 volumes today without a problem, could you PM me the images? Also does the path to the images contain any strange characters, program doesn't support unicode characters so it might crash when loading from strange paths.

Last edited by Honf; 03-20-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:59 PM   #26
twotools

PMed. Hopefully they help
Old 03-20-2011, 03:23 PM   #27
Honf
Enthusiast

Ah, thank you. Found the problem in under a minute.
New version attached in OP.

Edit:
Twotools if you read in landscape mode use the settings you sent me, but don't change the target resolution (unless you want some whitespace on the sides?). When you toggle landscape output it will do it automatically for you

Last edited by Honf; 03-20-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:30 PM   #28
twotools

Confirmed as fixed. Cheers!

Edit: I have been reading more in portrait recently due to the ability to not pan too much, as opposed to landscape where there's essentially no option to pan. For instance in portrait a 600 x 1000 file essentially allows you to see an 'overlap' of 600 pixels in the middle, which is really helpful when reading non-standard panel layouts (eg small panel on top, big panel at bottom). This is as opposed to landscape, which, if you read a 800 x 1200 file, essentially you get no 'overlap' between the two presses of the page down button, which means that if you have odd panel sizing/big dialogue boxes you'll need to flip between the two halves of the page which gets incredibly annoying.

Ah, it also occured to me that English runs horizontally, whereas Japanese and Chinese run vertically. As I read mainly non-english manga this compounds the 'overlap' problem for me.

Hence mangize is a lifesaver for me - I get to output my manga in 600 x height, and be able to pan downwards with overlap between top and bottom panels, enabling me to read dialogues that run vertically downwards for half a page.

Last edited by twotools; 03-20-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:01 PM   #29
Honf
Enthusiast

A heads up for what is coming in a few days.

-Multithreading (pngcrush is already working nicely and its fast on a 3 core system, need to make picture processing parallel too )
- Hiden pngcrush windows (no more annoying pop ups)
- Minimize control
- Actual, quite detailed, settings

This program will process like a rocket if you have a multi core system (the more the merrier)
Old 03-21-2011, 09:36 PM   #30
glennrp
glennrp began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honf View Post
Kindle didn't like a few things pngcrush did to the images. Compression is now down to ~10%. Will look into using gifs.
Could you be more specific about what pngcrush did to the images? It should not have changed their appearance.
glennrp is offline   Reply With Quote