Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-16-2010, 07:50 PM   #1
Painterskip
Painterskip began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
program freezes

Apologies if this has been cover previously. I searched the FAQ and forum but didn't find anything...

I've downloaded and installed, twice. Each time, the program starts up just fine and the first time I was able to open an ePub file I downloaded from Google Books. The first problem was when I tried to read that file (Great Expectations).

It opened the reader window and I could view the cover but then couldn't do anything else but close. When I returned to the main program window, nothing seemed to work. I closed the program, rebooted and tried again. This time I got to page two and then nothing.

I uninstalled, re-downloaded and re-installed. I was able to delete the aforementioned book. But as soon as I click on one of the buttons up top, the program ceases to respond. In this case, I thought that I would try to check the news feeds. Nothing. It simply wouldn't respond....

I'm running the program on a 3.2 ghz PC running XP (sp2) with 2 gigs of ram.

Originally I thought that maybe resources were low since I had Photoshop, Picaboo, an image viewer and Firefox with a bunch of windows, all open and running. But it didn't seem to matter.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Painterskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:20 PM   #2
Painterskip

So no one has any ideas as to why this program won't run for me?

I just tried launching the stand alone reader by itself and have the exact same problem....none of the icons work, so therefore, that doesn't work either.

I don't get it. I've not had this happen with any other program and believe me, I have many on my PC.
Advert
Old 12-17-2010, 12:55 PM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
It might be worth setting up your anti-virus/firewall software to allow calibre to run unhindered in case that is what is interfering with it?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:18 PM   #4
Painterskip

Thanks for the reply. I tried turning off my virus program while locking down my connection, to no avail. I use Avast and Zone Alarm and in the many years I've used them, they never interfered with any program.

I found it odd that very few people have had the same problem.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:14 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Painterskip View Post
I found it odd that very few people have had the same problem.
It does seem to be unique to your machine. A new version came out today. Uninstall the current version, reboot your machine and install the new version.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2010, 09:00 PM   #6
Painterskip

Grrrr. I uninstalled my last installation. Just to be sure, I ran CCleaner to make sure that it didn't leave unwanted files anywhere. It did. So I deleted all instances of leftover Calibre files I could find and then downloaded and installed the latest version. This was the first time I was able to actually choose which folder I wanted to use for my library. During the first two installs, I would see that window but it wouldn't accept any mouse clicks. This was also the first time I was given the option of what eReader I would be using. So far, so good.

The main screen appeared. I clicked on the preferences tab and it froze. But it came back a few minutes later. I was then able to open the manual, but those buttons wouldn't work for at least 2 minutes. Then I was able to turn pages, but only a few...then it stopped again. I closed the reader window and tried the prefs button again and this time, it opened. I was able to open the 'Tweaks' window but it would not allow me to scroll either of the two windows there....strange. I closed that and back to the main window and all I can do is open the manual but then I can't turn it's pages....

This is frustrating. Oh...I was checking the CPU usage as I was doing all that and it seemed fine.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:24 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Are you using a wacom tablet by any chance?
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:32 PM   #8
Painterskip

Yes! I am. I use the mouse it came with...have been for years. That was going to be one of my next questions, whether it would/could be the problem given that it's the mouse clicks that are the problem.

My other concern, after search past forum posts again, was my fonts. I probably have too many and could possibly have some that Calibre doesn't like...apparently this was a problem for someone else.

I tried running Calibre from the command line. It seemed to pop up rather quickly and didn't freeze the first time I clicked on the prefs tab...but then it froze within a few clicks.

Should I try a different mouse?

Skip
Old 12-17-2010, 09:37 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
yes, there is an incompatibility between wacom mice and the graphics toolkit calibre uses.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:37 PM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Painterskip View Post
Yes! I am. Should I try a different mouse
A simple google search would have help you out. Try the pen instead of the mouse.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:42 PM   #11
Painterskip

Kovid,

That did the trick...I plugged in a USB mouse and all is fine. First time I ever had problems with it though. Thank you!

Walt...
So what would I have done a Google Search for, exactly? Since the Wacom mouse never interfered with any other program..ever, I never gave it a thought.

Skip