Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-17-2011, 11:17 AM   #1
landed
landed began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Question I have an epub file check out all but in lulu

It looks like lulu want to make a lot of money from people who cant get their files to validate.
Forums and the contributers like this help combat such so I'm thankful for any help.
I have an epub which checks out in flight anhd three press

I get lulu to say that the following errors are observed

ERROR: Invalid file permissions: mimetype
ERROR: Invalid directory permissions: META-INF/
ERROR: Invalid file permissions: META-INF/container.xml

Not quite sure what to check with these, or even how. Thanks
landed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:27 AM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
My understanding is the ZIP format doesn't retain permissons... Every decompressed file will get the same permissons.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
I don't know for sure on this, but I'm wondering if it might, perhaps, be something to do with those files being "read only"? I'd unzip the EPUB and see if that's the case - if it is, you could try setting those files to not be "read only", then re-form the EPUB and try again.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:59 PM   #4
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I have seen epub files (from commercial publishers!) with zero permissions - you can't even read them... obviously a problem. Unzip the file into a new folder and then check the file permissions.
Also, zip may try to include extra directory attributes unless you tell it not to. Here is what I use to zip up and epub file:

Quote:
zip book-file.epub -DX0 mimetype
zip book-file.epub -rDX9 *
The D option tells zip to leave out any extra directory attributes.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:43 AM   #5
landed

the file isn't read only nor do I understand where you think its being zipped. The file extension is .epub not .zip
Old 03-18-2011, 06:23 AM   #6
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Hi landed - an EPUB file is simply a ZIP file that is then given the extension .epub.

You can verify this for yourself very quickly and easily - make a copy of your EPUB file, and change the file extension on the copy to .zip. You'll then be able to open it up using WinZip (or your preferred zip file manager), and examine the files contained inside it.

The files and directories referred to in the error messages you reported in your original post, above, are files and directories contained inside the EPUB/zip file. This is why I suggested unzipping it to see if the files inside have been set as "read only".
Old 03-25-2011, 07:01 AM   #7
landed

Thanks Donna for that. Why on earth they need a new file extension for cosmetic reasons perhaps...ok so I checked the archive and it has one folder that has a META-INF folder with a readonly value the file inside isnt read only nor can I no matter what make it not read only. This you may know can be a massive pain for windows users even though I have taken ownership of the file. I tried creating a new folder and it always go to read only for some reason.
Is this file needed, the xml inside seems a bit redundant.
thanks
Old 03-25-2011, 09:21 PM   #8
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by landed View Post
Thanks Donna for that. Why on earth they need a new file extension for cosmetic reasons perhaps...ok so I checked the archive and it has one folder that has a META-INF folder with a readonly value the file inside isnt read only nor can I no matter what make it not read only. This you may know can be a massive pain for windows users even though I have taken ownership of the file. I tried creating a new folder and it always go to read only for some reason.
Is this file needed, the xml inside seems a bit redundant.
thanks
Oh, yes, the META-INF folder and its contents are definitely required.

I wonder... have you tried to take your epub, load it into Sigil, use the built-in epub checker ( which is a little more thorough than epubcheck, but compatible with it) and then save it again with a different filename? Perhaps that will fix the permission problems, and certain other problems as well, if present.

Sigil is an epub editor that is available as free and open software, from here:

http://code.google.com/p/sigil/downloads/list

Please also visit the Sigil forum on this board for lots of friendly help and information!
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:48 AM   #9
landed

I tried sigil, but im not really any good with command line stuff so i tried instead flight checker and the file checks out to be fine there. This is what is so infuriating with lulu. Its now been 2 months and I would consider using a different website if there are others less problematic.

If it looks like sigil is better than flight checker then I might have to learn a new thing , what are peoples thougts about that ?
Old 03-28-2011, 09:12 AM   #10
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind

Sigil isn't a command line application, landed. It's an EPUB editor with a "proper" GUI. Not sure why you thought it was command line only, if you tried it? FlightCrew is an EPUB checker/validator which integrates with Sigil (since it was written by the same guy), and can be invoked from within Sigil when you have an EPUB open in Sigil, as far as I know.

The problem with getting an EPUB through Lulu and into Apple's iBookstore is that Apple have some (undocumented!) requirements that go beyond the EPUB specification. Such as no spaces in the filenames of the files inside the EPUB.

BTW, one reason for having a .epub file extension is that it makes it possible for an operating system to associate EPUB files with an EPUB reader, rather than a ZIP file manager. If the .zip extension was retained, there'd be no way of telling the difference between an EPUB file that conforms to the EPUB standards, and a straightforward ZIP file, which could contain anything.