Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 03-31-2008, 04:20 PM   #1
mcramer
Kiwi reader
mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad, iPhone
Post Review of the cybook on TFOT

Saw this review on The Future of Things and searching the forum didn't throw up the fact that anyone alse had noticed....

http://www.tfot.info/articles/1013/c...ok-review.html
mcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:55 PM   #2
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
It's hard to tell from the answer but this Michael Dahan response from the TFOT interview may not bode well for the much anticipated firmware upgrade:

Q: The current firmware has some bugs and is missing a number of important features, including folder and subfolder support. When should we expect the next firmware version, and what fixes and improvements will you integrate into it?

A: The next firmware will be ready March 31st and will integrate mainly bug fixes. Our main priorities are, of course, folder and subfolder support and more generally the container support (ZIP, etc.). We will stabilize the PDF reader and enhance and accelerate the user interface with a better button events handling. The global idea is to support as many formats as possible with maybe an ePub support in the near future.

------

-Jeff
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2008, 05:01 PM   #3
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I guess that "Other strokes for other folks". Personally, I could care less about the MP3 playing capability. I already have good MP3 players.

I do like their suggestion for user configurable buttons though. In general, a good review.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:23 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I was not aware that EPUB was in Bookeen's near term plans. This is good news, even with the "maybe" in there.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:52 PM   #5
Ralob
Connoisseur
Ralob began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2, PW4
if the new firmware only corrects bugs and does not add folder support, my level of disappointment will be astronomical.
Ralob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2008, 09:19 PM   #6
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
From the Q & A following the review:

"Now it seems obvious to everyone why Cytale has failed, but if you observe the current market, you can see that some of the actors are still going through the same story: closed model, weak catalog, high-priced device."

Hmmm....could he be referring to the Sony?
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:24 PM   #7
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
I wasn't aware that the Sony was closed, expensive and had a small catalogue. Are you referring to the 500/505 models or some other line?
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:05 AM   #8
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
I wasn't aware that the Sony was closed, expensive and had a small catalogue. Are you referring to the 500/505 models or some other line?
Sony is not expensive, but it's pretty much agreed their catalogue leaves much to be desired. By embracing a native format (lrf or BBeB) not compatible with any other device they have closed themselves off to a larger market.

Hey, I love the Sony based on what I have read, and would buy one if my books (mostly prc) could be read on a Sony without conversion.

Mobi seems to be becoming the default file of choice for ebooks used on dedicated ebook reading devices. This has been discussed in other threads, but it's just a fact of life that the average joe consumer is not going to want to do book conversions the way we forum members do in order to get a readable book on his/her device.

Which makes the Sony a niche device in what is already a niche market.
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:21 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingston View Post
From the Q & A following the review:

"Now it seems obvious to everyone why Cytale has failed, but if you observe the current market, you can see that some of the actors are still going through the same story: closed model, weak catalog, high-priced device."

Hmmm....could he be referring to the Sony?
Has to be the Kindle because of mentioning high-priced. The 505 is cheaper then the Gen3 and the Kindle so in that case, it's not high-priced vs the Gen3.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:50 AM   #10
DutchBoy
DutchBoy began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
From the review:

Quote:
Although in some cases it was possible to read the text in landscape mode, in many cases the text on the PDF was way too small to be considered readable.
That's why I convert my PDF documents... You could say I make large A4 pages into two A5 pages and I also trim the margins. Of course this cuts pages in half and doubles the number of pages, but as a result, I'm reading PDFs very comfortably. Fonts still are small but I have very good eyes.
DutchBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:16 AM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Has to be the Kindle because of mentioning high-priced. The 505 is cheaper then the Gen3 and the Kindle so in that case, it's not high-priced vs the Gen3.
The Sony is the cheapest of the "mainstream" E-Ink readers, but it is expensive relative to what many consumers are willing to pay for a dedicated reading device. This is entirely due to the cost of the screen, but the Sony approach would be much more viable for a $150 reader. Without 3rd party conversion software Sony would be out of the e-book business by now, but this software provides enough "openness" for the PRS-505 to be viable.

The Kindle is definitely too expensive, but it has the biggest catalog and it is "open" via mail-in conversion (not my 1st choice of methods, but leveraging a strong network presence).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:23 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I am always somewhat baffled by this "too expensive" business. Personally, I read far more than I watch TV, and yet how many people would regard US$400 as being anything other than amazingly cheap for a TV? If $400 is cheap for a TV, why is it "expensive" for a book reader?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:52 AM   #13
Onemack
Groupie
Onemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle P/W, Kobo Aura, Kobo Libre 2, Boyue likebook P10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If $400 is cheap for a TV, why is it "expensive" for a book reader?
How many people can watch the same TV at once? And how many can read the same Bookreader??
The argument can go both ways. But this is rather like comparing a motorbike to a bus, each has differing functions based on similar technology
A non sequitor I think.

John
Onemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:09 AM   #14
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralob View Post
if the new firmware only corrects bugs and does not add folder support, my level of disappointment will be astronomical.
Mine too. This statement was really worrying.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:13 AM   #15
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onemack View Post
How many people can watch the same TV at once? And how many can read the same Bookreader??
The argument can go both ways. But this is rather like comparing a motorbike to a bus, each has differing functions based on similar technology
A non sequitor I think.
99.9% of the time only one person is using my TV. My problem with the too expensive thinking is that I do not understand how you decide what is too expensive. Is this relative to your income? Is it relative to what other things cost? Is it relative some fair price? Or is it just that it is perceived to be too expensive that is the problem?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote