Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-29-2008, 02:01 PM   #1
derekstevensx
derekstevensx began at the beginning.

Device: undecided
Need an opinion from experienced users

Hi, I'm considering the purchase of an e-book reader. I've done a fair bit of research and it seemed like to me that Sony's PRS-505 offered the most value
for the price. I was wondering if anyone had any experience using this reader (or possibly another) to view academic journal articles? Most of the articles are available as PDF files and there seems to be readability issues with these file types often with most e-readers. I usually have to read a great deal of these, and printing them all out would be expensive and wasteful, and sitting at a laptop for hours isn't much fun either. If the articles read easily on the reader that would be great. I understand the margins can usually be edited with acrobat to fit the reader better as well. There just isn't any way that I can see how well this works in practice without spending a lot of cash, and opinions seem to vary on this a lot. If anyone can share some experience with this I'd appreciate it very much.

I'm not dead set on the Sony reader and would welcome additional
suggestions if another option is comparable in price (around $300 US).

Thanks

I should add most of the articles are in psychology so they are mostly text.

Last edited by derekstevensx; 03-29-2008 at 02:23 PM.
derekstevensx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 03:00 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekstevensx View Post
Most of the articles are available as PDF files and there seems to be readability issues with these file types often with most e-readers.
This has been discussed alot NO reader is going to display a readable PDF if the PDF is formated for 8.5x11 document, excepting perhaps the iRex Iliad.

Generally you will need to convert them to text. If the documents are mostly text you should be ok. If there are alot of graphics, it doesn't work very well.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2008, 05:44 PM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
There are several programs that can split 2-column PDF text files and render them for the Sony. It is an option but not one that I would base a purchase decision on. What it does is to widen the character stems and loops making them a bit more bold. It is still often a hard slug to read a whole book or paper that way.

Any 6" screen is going to have a hard time rendering a document formatted in an 8-1/2" by 11" frame. Add to that the normal white space around it (which can be removed with the available tools) and you still have a tough read.

If you can convert the PDFs to text these can be loaded to the Reader as a TXT, DOC or (through conversion) as an LRF file. I have converted many for my own use and the process is painless. (Well, almost painless.) Thankfully what I have converted has had few if any graphics because, as pilotbob said, these may not convert well (full page graphics in particular.)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote