Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-11-2010, 09:37 PM   #1
mamasue
Zealot
mamasue began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
How do I do upgrade with SD card?

Hi everyone - it's me, the serial pest, back again. I have really appreciated your support & am calling on your help and patience once more.

A very kind member lent me an SD card with the .4 upgrade on it.

My Kobo had frozen on the loading page (the one where the blocks in the bottom right corner show loading progress) and I could not turn it off. Nor could I access any functions.

I thought I'd try the SD card anyhow - what the hell the thing's worthless to me as it is??!!!

"some" things happened ...

* I can now turn it on and off
* I can access the free pre-loaded books, but all my purchased books have been stripped
* I still have an "I'm reading" list and I can move between 'home', 'display' etc and I can page turn.

HOWEVER, when I checked the settings I see the version is still 1.0
It is not showing 1.4

Should I try again?

If so, can some kind person please step me through the process as if you were explaining to a child - detailed, with simple language used, in dot point.

My tech knowledge is not at a high level, (which I am a bit embarrassed to admit here) so the K.I.S.S. principle works well for me in this area.

I appreciate any and all responses.

Bottom line? My Kobo appears to be working again, but I do not believe I managed to successfully complete the .4 upgrade - otherwise this would be showing in the settings as such.

If you would sooner communicate via Message or email, please let me know.

TIA from a very grateful Aussie

edited to add - I have read through the upgrade stickies and the language & words there make my head hurt! I do not understand very much of what has been said there at all

Last edited by mamasue; 10-11-2010 at 09:40 PM.
mamasue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:10 PM   #2
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Place the SD card into your Kobo. Hold the dpad button down and press the on/off button. Hold the combination down until 5 squares appear on the boot up progress screen, then release both buttons.

The Kobo should go into firmware update mode. Just let the update do it's thing which will take about 15 minutes more or less. Wait until your screen reads "Firmware Update Process Complete" and then take the SD card out.

Power your Kobo up and change date/time

You will need to upload all your ebooks again.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2010, 10:15 PM   #3
mamasue
Zealot

thank you sabredog - I was aware that "all was not lost" re the purchased books - they are all sitting in ADE just waiting for me!

thanks also for the SD directions - sounds so easy that even a dummy like me might just succeed!

will let y'alls know how I go
Old 10-11-2010, 11:05 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Remember to reset your date and time. The oddest things go wonky if you don't do that.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:57 PM   #5
mamasue
Zealot

OK ~ all done .. fingers crossed it seems all AOK.

the first screen which came up after the install was finished - was the date/time reset prompt - so that's done.

having a few leetle probs now with synching & trying to figure that part out, but I am quietly hopeful.
Advert
Old 10-12-2010, 12:29 AM   #6
sabredog
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sounds good. Hopefully fixed up the issues you have been having.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:47 AM   #7
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

One poster mentioned 1.5 and go-to and faster start-up. I'm not
sure if I will go after it, since it all fails to meet my panic. The very
complaint is that manufacturer avoids any device handling except
default one, aka "plug usb, dowhatever, unplug, send to us...". Some
guys ask why kobo has no "hacks". My impression is that they want
to go from first device as fast as possible. I'm fine with reader and
feel no hurry to change it for version 2, 3, 4...
For things possible on ereader, go to kindle forum. Larger community,
more separate projects. The missing pebble is epub support, for my
taste.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:49 AM   #8
mamasue
Zealot

yep, fingers crossed.

while I was waiting in a Borders in Melb Central yesterday, I had a play with a new Sony (can't recall the model number) ... oh boy, it sure was soooooooo tempting!

if my Kobo breaks again, they said they'd do me a deal ...
Old 10-12-2010, 12:51 AM   #9
sabredog

The new Sony's are rather nice. I have the PRS-300, which has just been superseded by the PRS-350. It has only a 5" screen though.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:42 AM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
The very complaint is that manufacturer avoids any device handling except default one, aka "plug usb, dowhatever, unplug, send to us...".
I "get" that, at least on some level. It seems to me that many, many Kobo buyers have limited experience with making user adjustments to technology. A lot, perhaps the majority, of the folks who hang out here have gotten fairly comfortable with things like replacing the sqlite Db. The same cannot be said, for example, about people who only go to Facebook with their problems.

From one perspective an eReader is like an appliance--it should just work when you plug it in and follow the directions. When an update process doesn't work properly or when a badly formed ePUB fails to load using ADE (but has landed in the Db) and then seems to screw with things like which books appear first in the 'I'm Reading" list, people can feel as if their appliance is broken. And it is. The fact that more experienced users can take care of these problems themselves is irrelevant to people who either cannot do it, or do not feel as if they should have to go that far.

<rant on>There is another group of folks, those who have done something weird, or maybe even dodgy, and just aren't going to come clean about it when posting on a BB or talking to Kobo help. I have reached out to more than a few people (not here) who have done such things. They may yell loudly about their "broken" Kobo, but do not come clean with what they have done to break them. One example comes to mind--a person who was very non-specific about how their machine went wonky, but eventually revealed that she had locked content. Privately she told me that she was using a friend's account associated with a different ADE account from her own. She never came onto the public board and admitted that her own behaviour had caused the problem. </rant off>
Old 10-12-2010, 10:35 AM   #11
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post

<rant on>There is another group of folks, those who have done something weird, or maybe even dodgy, and just aren't going to come clean about it when posting on a BB or talking to Kobo help. I have reached out to more than a few people (not here) who have done such things. They may yell loudly about their "broken" Kobo, but do not come clean with what they have done to break them. One example comes to mind--a person who was very non-specific about how their machine went wonky, but eventually revealed that she had locked content. Privately she told me that she was using a friend's account associated with a different ADE account from her own. She never came onto the public board and admitted that her own behaviour had caused the problem. </rant off>
Yep, happens from time to time. Reading prior doing is the best advice to
one, who goes that way. Reviews, forums, mailing lists...
If boot loader stays in place, it could be repaired. Jtag mobo is very
convenient after shooting own foot. I have one in sheevaplug. If I do
stupid thing, it saves nerves.
Regarding previous, I think SD card refresh cures all aches.
Best regards.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:34 PM   #12
mamasue
Zealot

Quote:
I "get" that, at least on some level. It seems to me that many, many Kobo buyers have limited experience with making user adjustments to technology. A lot, perhaps the majority, of the folks who hang out here have gotten fairly comfortable with things like replacing the sqlite Db
I sure am hoping I don't have to do this ~ I don't think I could ever 'get comfortable' with doing so :shudder:

Quote:
The same cannot be said, for example, about people who only go to Facebook with their problems.
I think quite a few of the FB people (myself included) have come to mobileread looking for answers.
I put off doing so myself because I'd been a stalker for a while & really could not understand a lot of the techno speak.

Of course, I've found since that many of you are very helpful & supportive people, which has been very much appreciated

Quote:
From one perspective an eReader is like an appliance--it should just work when you plug it in and follow the directions. When an update process doesn't work properly or when a badly formed ePUB fails to load using ADE (but has landed in the Db) and then seems to screw with things like which books appear first in the 'I'm Reading" list, people can feel as if their appliance is broken. And it is. The fact that more experienced users can take care of these problems themselves is irrelevant to people who either cannot do it, or do not feel as if they should have to go that far.
This is DEF me. If I buy an 'appliance' I expect it to do the job for which it was designed and for which it was intended, without fault.
Consumer protection legislation in Oz means I can fall back on my expectations and be backed up 'legally'.
I don't want to buy an applaince which then requires me to be able to keep it maintain it/keep it functioning.

I don't buy a car with the expectation I will have to maintain myself - and a car is, after all, just another appliance.

Kobo have been exceptional with the customer support, but if their appliance had been further advanced in its development prior to its release, there would have been many less people suffering from Kobo-itis IMO.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:07 PM   #13
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I have close friends and family members who are very much like you, mamasue. I beg them not to buy version 1.0 of ANYTHING. At least in Canada we had (generally) amazing customer support--including the ability to bring our readers into a bricks and mortar establishment for flashing/replacement and very fast turnarounds (in general) if we returned the readers to Kobo in Toronto.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:46 PM   #14
mamasue
Zealot

Quote:
I beg them not to buy version 1.0 of ANYTHING.
this is good advice & I would usually follow it myself ... but I was soooooooo taken by the ereaders I saw people using in various airports during my recent visit to the US ... I simple HAD to have one!

I read 2-3 books per week, often even more.

I seriously spent 5 days reading as much as I could about the brands I had access to and went with the Kobo.

I have learned so much - by default!! LOL - I just wish Kobo had got the bugs ironed out a bit more before their reader was released.

Last edited by mamasue; 10-13-2010 at 05:02 AM. Reason: to change 'work' to 'week' .. stoopid me!
Old 10-13-2010, 12:38 AM   #15
zoran
himself

Quote:
I have close friends and family members who are very much like you, mamasue. I beg them not to buy version 1.0 of ANYTHING.
He-he! Sooner or later one has to do something stupid and go wild!
Seriously, it could be great risk or not risk at all. Buying kobo I was
sure I could not find better solution. If I was waiting a bit? In that
case I'd stay at reading on my desktop for a year or so. Or after 6
months get kindle 3. Instead of making epub files I'd make mobi files.
I was concerned about screen quality at first place. Card adapter
proved to be a trouble maker. What stays is the simplicity of design.
For everything else people run after k3.
I never feel sorry for kobo early adopter version buy. Further, it took
me a loot of effort and cash to get it. So, it is just money and not a
big sum of it for a pleasure of reading the way I like.