Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-20-2009, 09:20 AM   #1
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
Looking for somebody new

I am looking for somebody new to read. I love my light hearted comedy books and somtime that is just what I need to pick me up after a dull day at work.

In general, my favourite comedy writers are (in no particular order)
Tom Holt
Terry Pratchet
Robert Rankin

Can anybody recommend some similar authors? While I love most of the works of the above, I have read everything they have all done. So, while I wait for the next book to be released, I would love to try somebody new

Many thanks,
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:25 AM   #2
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Christopher Moore
Douglas Adams
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:46 AM   #3
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Christopher Moore
Douglas Adams
I've read most of his Douglas Adams's work (all HHGTTG and Both Dirk Gently). Not heard of Christopher Moore so I'll look him up. Thank you
Old 03-20-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Hal Spacejock by Simon Haynes
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:58 AM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hmm... this thread seems familiar.

Anyway, How about Robert Asprin's Myth books?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:43 PM   #6
PieOPah
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Hmm... this thread seems familiar.

Anyway, How about Robert Asprin's Myth books?

BOb
Thank you. Another Author to look up

Definately gives me something to chew on for a while

Thank you all for the various suggestions
Old 03-20-2009, 02:36 PM   #7
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Try Darrell Bain's "Bigfoot Crazy".
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:56 PM   #8
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Harry Harrison's Bill the Galactic Hero.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:21 PM   #9
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
I agree Robert Asprin might suit. Perhaps Lawrence Watt-Evans (The Misenchanted Sword) or Diane Duane (So You Want To Be A Wizard?) or Grant Naylor (Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers). I also like my light-hearted books.

If you want something not necessarily sci-fi/fantasy, you might try George MacDonald Fraser's Flashman books.

M.A.S.H. and M.A.S.H Goes to Maine, the book(s) that the M.A.S.H. television series was made from by Richard Hooker were very funny. There were a lot of those MASH books written but only the first couple were written by Hooker and the others were pretty bad.

A modern contemporary fiction author that has quite a bit of humor in his writing is Richard Ford. Independence Day and The Sportswriter are excellent.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:06 PM   #10
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Carl Hiaasen.

I do not say one could put into the comic writers group, but he is delirious sarcastic, and thus (for me at least) very funny.

Best,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote