Notices

Old 08-20-2010, 04:55 PM   #16
jashsu
Connoisseur
jashsu doesn't litterjashsu doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
I use my 600 one-handed quite often and turn pages via the physical buttons.

How comfortable it would be to hold and turn pages is specific to each user.
Wish the 600 had side bezel buttons like the Nook. I hold my 600 in my left hand in landscape mode. The page turn buttons are well located in this scheme (although still not large enough to press comfortably)
jashsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:00 PM   #17
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jashsu View Post
The page turn buttons are well located in this scheme (although still not large enough to press comfortably)
Sony has a history of lousy, teeny-tiny slim buttons that dent your finger. When I first saw my PRS-700, I realized they had just (slightly) enlarged the slits they used for the Clie series.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2010, 08:16 PM   #18
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
No idea why so many people are crying for full justification. Justified text is ugly.
I prefer it, personally.

I think justified text with huge blocks of white space...or line after line of hyphenated text...is ugly.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:01 PM   #19
mikij
Connoisseur
mikij doesn't littermikij doesn't litter

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46jimbo View Post
If the new model is touchscreen only, is it possible to turn the page without using two hands?
Although the photo is very blurry, I clearly saw "Reader Pocket Edition" and "Reader Touch Edition" below the two respective models.

If these are the really new models, they'll just use tiny buttons (as PSR-600 currently uses) at the bottom of the screen.
mikij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:03 AM   #20
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
I use my 600 one-handed quite often and turn pages via the physical buttons.

How comfortable it would be to hold and turn pages is specific to each user.
Well, we're talking about the way the blurry image of the PRS-350 looks in the (possibly fake) photos above, not the existing PRS-600. You're right that everyone's different, but if those are buttons set into the lower part of the screen bezel, they do look a little awkward to me.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2010, 09:01 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
True, but considering this has been a really important issue with many owners, myself included, if they offer full justification you would think they would stress that fact.

I still believe there are way too many flags over that article and its blurry photos to take it seriously. I hope Sony does come out with new readers that can compete, but those photos could just be a hoax. Hoaxes were the norm back in the PDA days when people loved to photoshop an image of their dream PDA and then attempt to pass it off as a new model. Until Sony officially makes an announcement or we see sharp photos of new models, or better still sharp video, I'm not going to get excited. At this point it is still very much a rumor.
One thing that does give us hope is that at the bottom of the image it said that the images were simulated. So I am hoping what was on the screen was taken from the screen of a 300. And yes, I know this is all rumor. But given that it's getting close to October, I would have to say Sony is most likely coming out with new readers and I hope the announcement will be in September.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:54 AM   #22
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
ut given that it's getting close to October, I would have to say Sony is most likely coming out with new readers and I hope the announcement will be in September.
Teleread has already reported they have an invite from Sony to a presentation later this month:

http://www.teleread.com/2010/08/16/n...find-out-soon/

So the big question is whether they'll be shipping when they announce, or if we'll be waiting for October anyway (more likely given their history).
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:11 AM   #23
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
No idea why people are satisfied with non-justified rendering. Non-justified rendering is ugly.

Amazing how people can have different ideas about what looks good, eh?

For me, the main reason I haven't upgraded our two 500 models is because of the lack of full justification.

Quote:
No idea why so many people are crying for full justification. Justified text is ugly.
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:47 AM   #24
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkml View Post
No idea why people are satisfied with non-justified rendering. Non-justified rendering is ugly.

Amazing how people can have different ideas about what looks good, eh?

For me, the main reason I haven't upgraded our two 500 models is because of the lack of full justification.
I agree, I love my Sony's but I doubt I will buy the next if they still don't have epub full justification. I only use lrf files on mine as I hate the jagged right edge on epubs and refuse to buy them..........
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:59 PM   #25
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
What does justification mean? The way it looks? I don't know, I convert every book I read into lrf, so I've never read an epub before. I think I tried once and it looked pretty shoddy.
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:43 PM   #26
jonnickell
jonnickell began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge, Sony prs650, Kindle 2 & 3, Reb 1100, Nook Color
No layer on screen.....maybe capacitive instead of resistive?

Personally I had a prs700 ( gave it to my brother ) and currently a prs600 and in neither one did I see a problem with the overlay...especially in bright sunlight...screen always looks great even next to my Kindle2. I love the touch...but disliked very much the light on the 700.
jonnickell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:38 PM   #27
sbtx99
Zealot
sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi; Red PRS-650; iPod Touch; Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by emonti8384 View Post
What does justification mean? The way it looks? I don't know, I convert every book I read into lrf, so I've never read an epub before. I think I tried once and it looked pretty shoddy.
Justification is how the text is aligned. Left justified has text aligned on the left margin (right margin ragged); right justified has text aligned on the right margin (left margin ragged); full justification has text aligned on both margins.

If done correctly, I prefer full justification. The reading apps on my iPod are all set to full justification, but the results are sometimes just as "ugly" as a ragged right margin.

With hyphenation turned off, you might get large white spaces between words. Or with hyphenation, you might get incorrectly hyphenated words...
Real-
ly
An-
ne.
sbtx99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:42 PM   #28
lord_blackfang
Enthusiast
lord_blackfang has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-600
What's all this drama regarding page turn buttons? You can swipe just fine with a thumb even when holding the reader with one hand.
lord_blackfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:45 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyd View Post
I agree, I love my Sony's but I doubt I will buy the next if they still don't have epub full justification. I only use lrf files on mine as I hate the jagged right edge on epubs and refuse to buy them..........
Think of things this way.... When you have a large gap on the right do to a word being too large to fit, that gap is going to be filled in. And to fill it in, there will be large spaces between words in that line. The problem as I see it is that ADE doesn't seem to adjust the spacing of spaces to be able to fit more per line to get less large gaps.

What I am hoping for is that Sony will at least use the same version of ADE that the 900 uses and we'll then have no page numbers in the right margin. Plus it would also also for full justification as well.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-21-2010 at 04:50 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:25 AM   #30
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
Quote:
What's all this drama regarding page turn buttons? You can swipe just fine with a thumb even when holding the reader with one hand.
This is good to know. I was thinking of using my nose!
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote