Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-20-2008, 10:29 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I looked around for readers available for S60 phones and I found support for eReader, MobiPocket, iSilo and so on. So what format is supported on a Windows phone but not on an S60 phone?
I'm afraid I'm not too familiar with readers for Symbian o/s's, Tommy, but I don't think there's a version of Microsoft Reader for them, is there?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:44 AM   #17
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm afraid I'm not too familiar with readers for Symbian o/s's, Tommy, but I don't think there's a version of Microsoft Reader for them, is there?
I couldn't find any when I looked and I suppose that is because of obvious reasons.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2008, 10:48 AM   #18
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Funny, nobody mentioned the iPhone yet
It's screen is amazing, and with Stanza, eReader or Bookshelf I now consider it a perfect ereading device.
Unfortunately, the only iPhone in our house is my wife's

Newer S60 devices (3rd edition) can't run mobipocket. Also, most S60 devices are non-touch-screen, so if you install a dictionary etc. it'll be cumbersome to use.
I love reading on my Sonyericsson P1i, especially the scroll-wheel is a big bonus. Screen-clicking is okay, but not as comfy when reading one-handed.

My personal opinion is to stay away from windows mobile based devices, since all of them that I or my family and friends used had or have major issues with one thing or another. The perfectest, most trouble-free phone is the iPhone, in my experience ... but we're all mac users so maybe that is helpful.
The p1i is a good phone, but it's rather slow when switching from contacts to messages to call list etc, so I can't wait to get the snazzy iPhone.

Did I mention I'd suggest the iPhone

Anyhow, my 2 eurocents.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:01 AM   #19
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Tompe

Yes you are right, my mistake: the pocketpc phone edition, or if you want Windows mobile OS, does not have a reader for Sony drm format.

I think I just do not think Sony drm format, and the Kindle one (even if it’s just most of the time a changed Mobipoket format) for that matter, as really drm formats but more of proprietary formats with restrictions.

I was talking about Microsoft Reader, Mobipocket, eReader and (even if lots of people do not believe it to be a eBook format) PDF (and this one I think one can not read drm PDF’s just password protected ones).

And... some more less known protected formats too.

Last edited by DDHarriman; 12-20-2008 at 11:19 AM.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:05 AM   #20
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
Newer S60 devices (3rd edition) can't run mobipocket. Also, most S60 devices are non-touch-screen, so if you install a dictionary etc.
That is wrong. The MobipocketReader works very well on 3rd edition S60 (I have fp2 but that should not matter). Looking up a word works very fast using the D-pad. The lookup of words in the dictionary works very well using ordinary phone input and the D-pad. And you can do all this with one hand which I have noticed is very good compared to my N810 with touch interface where I have to use two hands.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2008, 08:27 PM   #21
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Hmm, the choice is pretty much going to depend upon what format your existing files are or where you are planning to buy.

Windows mobile as mentioned by others is probably the most flexible choice, with support for the most formats, especially DRM formats (DE, Mobi, eReader, Lit, etc).
One thing to keep in mind is that if you get one from your carrier, it will often be loaded with a ton of bloatware. As I usually buy unlocked phones, its not that much of aproblem, but I'll suggest loading one of the non carrier ROM's if you are technical (XDA Developers is agood site to check out)

An iPhone is also an option, as it does make a good reading device, with Stanza, bookshelf and eReader Apps providing a nice interface. Having said that, getting your own content onto the device can be a pain, especially as you require wifi to get anything onto the device.

Having said that, and currently using both a iPhone and a HTC TyTN 2 (Tilt) both platforms have their benefits, with WM having more flexibility and more user control over the device, while the iPhone provides a much more slicker user interface.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 12:41 AM   #22
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Hmm

I am still using an old Cingular 8125 (HTC Wizard)

If I were to upgrade my phone I would consider an HTC Advantage X7501 They have a large, Crisp screen and can be had for $350 - $450 unlocked.

I plan to go for a UMPC in February, just to be able to do more than read and play music better. Probably a Fujitsu U820 - U810 or an HTC Shift.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 02:40 AM   #23
mpd123
Zealot
mpd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kobo glo / samsung note 10.1
hi all.
i use my htc touch hd mobile phone for reading using either ms reader or mobipocket reader (which i prefer as it allows more customizing)
and have no problems doing this with regards to eye strain.
the screen is large about the same as iphone and can comfortably used to watch movies and it makes calls too.
had a few winmo devices and this is the best one i've used.
cheers,mick
mpd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:45 AM   #24
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
That is wrong. The MobipocketReader works very well on 3rd edition S60 (I have fp2 but that should not matter). Looking up a word works very fast using the D-pad. The lookup of words in the dictionary works very well using ordinary phone input and the D-pad. And you can do all this with one hand which I have noticed is very good compared to my N810 with touch interface where I have to use two hands.
I guess I was misinformed then. The UIQ2 version did not work on UIQ3, I just assumed it was similar with S60. But, I was wrong
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:01 PM   #25
DickyCheung22
Enthusiast
DickyCheung22 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'm using iPhone and think it is okay. I had a HTC before, but it is very slow...
DickyCheung22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook reader, ebook-devices, phone