Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-16-2014, 07:14 AM   #316
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
So what you're saying is that it's cheaper for you to buy online because you break the law by not paying the taxes that you're legally required to?

That strikes me as both morally reprehensible (tax evasion is stealing from everybody) and legally wrong.
Not to mention all the other people in her state who buy taxable stuff online (and don't pay the use tax, when appropriate). Or all the people who travel out of state and buy taxable stuff and bring it back without paying use tax (when appropriate). Or all those people in the state who take a vacation and buy taxable stuff and bring it back without paying use tax (when appropriate.)

That is one state full of morally reprehensible people.

FWIW, I am not a tax expert, so some of the above mentioned people may be less morally reprehensible than others.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:22 AM   #317
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
That is one state full of morally reprehensible people.
Which is worse - a morally reprehensible person or a morally reprehensible monkey?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2014, 07:23 AM   #318
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Are you allowed to 'drop the subject' after calling someone morally reprehensible?
Quote:
That strikes me as both morally reprehensible (tax evasion is stealing from everybody) and legally wrong.
Quote:
But anyway, we're rather straying from the topic here, so let's drop the matter.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:27 AM   #319
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Which is worse - a morally reprehensible person or a morally reprehensible monkey?
I think HarryT is the resident expert on moral reprehensibiliousness.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:45 AM   #320
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
When it comes to monkeys, I think the word you're looking for is prehensile.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2014, 07:50 AM   #321
Sregener
Addict
Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Quote:
My state has no income tax, a very high sales tax, and a use tax. I don't know of anyone who pays use tax for private purchases or non-taxed out-of-state purchases. I'd venture to say that most people don't even know it exists.
I'd venture to say that most people don't wish to spend the time to keep track of such things. Doing taxes takes enough time as it is without having to keep and add up a few hundred receipts.
Sregener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:59 AM   #322
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Not to mention all the other people in her state who buy taxable stuff online (and don't pay the use tax, when appropriate). Or all the people who travel out of state and buy taxable stuff and bring it back without paying use tax (when appropriate). Or all those people in the state who take a vacation and buy taxable stuff and bring it back without paying use tax (when appropriate.)
You may regard tax evasion as a joke. Not everyone shares your views.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:16 AM   #323
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
We give monkeys a big leeway, especially when it comes to taxes.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:35 AM   #324
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
You may regard tax evasion as a joke. Not everyone shares your views.
Big corporations take tax evasion *very* seriously!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Ginny Stroud
Okay guys, one more thing, this summer when you're being inundated with all this American bicentennial Fourth Of July brouhaha, don't forget what you're celebrating, and that's the fact that a bunch of slave-owning, aristocratic, white males didn't want to pay their taxes.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:16 AM   #325
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
You may regard tax evasion as a joke.
I don't.

Quote:
Not everyone shares your views.
thank you for clarifying this.

And not everyone shares your views.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:21 AM   #326
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
For the people that claim ignorance about not paying sales tax, are you also the ones who complain about your income and property taxes going up because you can't figure out where the shortfall came from?

And by the way, ignorance is no excuse. It's just ignorance.

/soapbox

But to be fair, different areas have different rules. In my state, I can spend up to $770 without paying a use tax. I rarely hit that, because I much prefer to buy locally when I can and support my neighbors and community.

Last edited by pl001; 04-16-2014 at 10:23 AM.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:25 AM   #327
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sregener View Post
I'd venture to say that most people don't wish to spend the time to keep track of such things. Doing taxes takes enough time as it is without having to keep and add up a few hundred receipts.
My state allows me to use a chart to estimate the use tax, based on adjusted gross income, if I don't want to track every receipt.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:42 AM   #328
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
For the people that claim ignorance about not paying sales tax, are you also the ones who complain about your income and property taxes going up because you can't figure out where the shortfall came from?
The shortfall is usually the fault of our legislators who reallocate funds for purposes they were never intended for. Use tax shortfall is a drop in the bucket compared to the former.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:43 AM   #329
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
My state allows me to use a chart to estimate the use tax, based on adjusted gross income, if I don't want to track every receipt.
I believe that most, if not all, states offer a similar facility.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:47 AM   #330
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I believe that most, if not all, states offer a similar facility.
Maybe most, but not all. Washington doesn't.