Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-13-2013, 08:16 PM   #1
Quelch
Groupie
Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch and iPad 4 hers, Samsung Galaxy S 8.4 mine !
Which eReader app for iPad 4

Bought an iPad 4 refurbished, 32GB, cellular, black
Arrives tomorrow
My first Apple product
Currently use Nexus 7 for eBooks, mostly ePubs but a few mobi

What eReader apps work well on the iPad ?
Quelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Marvin for your ePubs, and Calibre to convert your .mobi to ePub (and to then manage the collection which will surely grow, like Topsy.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2013, 08:34 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Marvin for your ePubs, and Calibre to convert your .mobi to ePub.
Just remember, in order to use Marvin, the ePub has to be without DRM or have had the DRM removed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Just remember, in order to use Marvin, the ePub has to be without DRM or have had the DRM removed.
Whoops, yeah. And the mobis also.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:48 PM   #5
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Marvin is by far my favorite ereader app on the iPad. Very customizable, great user interface, and the developer is a nice guy who's very responsive to people on MobileRead.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2013, 05:00 AM   #6
Quelch
Groupie
Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How do I get Marvin ?

Can I just download it from the internet ?

I'm experienced with Windows and Android but this is my first Apple product
Old 11-14-2013, 05:48 AM   #7
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Search for it on the ipad app store, it's there.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:42 AM   #8
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Here's a link to Marvin's website, with App Store links included.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:38 PM   #9
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Marvin has become my "go to" reader for non-DRM'd content. Finally a worthy successor to Stanza (may it rest in peace).

I like the iBooks app as well. I really do appreciate the fact that it looks like a book. I know...cutesy and trite but it does something for my psyche. Marvin's "finger drag to adjust brightness" is probably the deciding factor for me. I really like fine tuning brightness. Ever since you could click an epub on a web site and "open in" any app, the "connected to servers" aspect of Stanza/Marvin are no longer such big deals.

Kindle app for reading kindle books when I'm too lazy to break the DRM and read them elsewhere.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #10
Quelch
Groupie

Thanks everyone
Now have Marvin on the iPad after battling Apples 'authentifying' and 'veryfying' dramas
Can the Kindle app be downloaded in the same way, I'm used to 'Kindle for PC' on my desktop and laptop computers
Old 11-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #11
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
You can read your epubs in iBooks and any Kindle books in the Kindle app, both apps are free and I'd recommend you try those first before you start paying out for apps.

I do have Marvin but I much prefer to use iBooks and Kindle myself.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #12
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quelch View Post
Thanks everyone
Now have Marvin on the iPad after battling Apples 'authentifying' and 'veryfying' dramas
Can the Kindle app be downloaded in the same way, I'm used to 'Kindle for PC' on my desktop and laptop computers
Yes, download Kindle direct from the App Store and register it to your account at Amazon, the same account you use for Kindle for PC. Then any books you have in your Amazon library will be shown in the Kindle app under Cloud, you just click on each one to download them direct to your ipad.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:52 AM   #13
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I like the iBooks app as well. I really do appreciate the fact that it looks like a book.
Not anymore! See today's update. Now it's 100% distilled ugliness there for ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I do have Marvin but I much prefer to use iBooks and Kindle myself.
I find both Kindle and iBooks lame in terms of functionality, and ugly, too (iBooks being ultra-ugly following today's update). It's Marvin for me all the way, Stanza in previous years.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:43 AM   #14
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Not anymore! See today's update. Now it's 100% distilled ugliness there for ya.
I agree. It's horrible. Lost ALL the charm of the original. The book-look should be a configurable option. It's just a image of a book that the text displays over. No reason they can't support that look.

The one advantage iBooks has is a PC version. Like with the kindle app. Marvin has no such companion. It's a small thing, not a deal breaker.

I had pretty much made the switch to Marvin already. RIP beloved book skuemorphism.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:03 AM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I agree. It's horrible. Lost ALL the charm of the original. The book-look should be a configurable option. It's just a image of a book that the text displays over. No reason they can't support that look.

The one advantage iBooks has is a PC version. Like with the kindle app. Marvin has no such companion. It's a small thing, not a deal breaker.

I had pretty much made the switch to Marvin already. RIP beloved book skuemorphism.
What PC version? Did you mean a mac version?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote