Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which science-fiction book will spark our imaginations in August?
Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke 13 27.08%
A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs 8 16.67%
Lost Horizon by James Hilton 11 22.92%
Surface Detail by Iain M. Banks 15 31.25%
Roadside Picnic by the Strugatskys brothers 15 31.25%
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury 12 25.00%
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card 18 37.50%
Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds 13 27.08%
Solaris by Lem Stanislaw 11 22.92%
Doomsday Book by Connie Willis 19 39.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
August 2013 Book Club Vote

August 2013 MobileRead Book Club Vote

Help us choose a book as the August 2013 eBook for the MobileRead Book Club. The poll will be open for 5 days. There will be no runoff vote unless the voting results a tie, in which case there will be a 3 day run-off poll. This is a visible poll: others can see how you voted. It is multiple-choice: you may cast a vote for each book that appeals to you.

We will start the discussion thread for this book on August 20th. Select from the following Official Choices with three nominations each:

Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke
Amazon US / Barnes & Noble / Kobo / Sony
Spoiler:
Often listed as one of Clarke's finest novels, Rendezvous With Rama has won both the Hugo and the Nebula Awards. A fast-paced and compelling story of an enigmatic encounter with alien technology, Rendezvous With Rama offers both answers and unsolved mysteries that continue to fascinate readers decades after its first publication.

Available at libraries everywhere.

A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs
Patricia Clark Memorial Library: ePub | Kindle / Scott Dutton Design & Illustration: ePub
Spoiler:
A Princess of Mars (1917) is a science fantasy novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs, the first of his Barsoom series. Full of swordplay and daring feats, the novel is considered a classic example of 20th century pulp fiction. It is also a seminal instance of the planetary romance, a sub-genre of science fantasy that became highly popular in the decades following its publication. Its early chapters also contain elements of the Western. The story is set on Mars, imagined as a dying planet with a harsh desert environment. This vision of Mars was based on the work of the astronomer Percival Lowell, whose ideas were widely popularized in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

Lost Horizon by James Hilton
Patricia Clark Memorial Library: ePub | Kindle
Spoiler:
From Goodreads:

While attempting to escape a civil war, four people are kidnapped and transported to the Tibetan mountains. After their plane crashes, they are found by a mysterious Chinese man. He leads them to a monastery hidden in "the valley of the blue moon" -- a land of mystery and matchless beauty where life is lived in tranquil wonder, beyond the grasp of a doomed world.

It is here, in Shangri-La, where destinies will be discovered and the meaning of paradise will be unveiled.

Surface Detail by Iain M. Banks
Amazon UK / Amazon US
Spoiler:
This is the penultimate Culture novel by Banks--written in 2010. In fact, it is our final visit to the Universe of The Culture as it is set later than The Hydrogen Sonata which was his final science-fiction novel.

Surface Detail is regarded as one of the finest books set in that Universe.
It has an epic sweep spanning Real and Virtual worlds. We meet the fascinating Ship minds, a memorable villain, and are submerged in a murder story, Machiavellian politics, a revenge quest and fascinating minor characters all set within four inter-related and integrated plots. The blurb from Amazon reads:

"It begins in the realm of the Real, where matter still matters.
It begins with a murder.
And it will not end until the Culture has gone to war with death itself."

While the culture novels share a common setting, they can be read as stand-alone books.

Roadside Picnic by Arkady & Boris Strugatsky
Amazon US / Barnes & Noble
Spoiler:
From Wikipedia:

The novel is set in a post-visitation world where there are now six Zones known on Earth (each zone is approximately five square miles/kilometers in size) which are still full of unexplained phenomena and where strange happenings have briefly occurred, assumed to have been visitations by aliens. World governments and the UN try to keep tight control over them to prevent leakage of artifacts from the Zones, fearful of unforeseen consequences. A subculture of stalkers, thieves going into the Zones to get the artifacts, evolves around the Zones.

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Amazon US / Kobo

Spoiler:
Ray Bradbury’s internationally acclaimed novel Fahrenheit 451 is a masterwork of twentieth-century literature set in a bleak, dystopian future.

Guy Montag is a fireman. In his world, where television rules and literature is on the brink of extinction, firemen start fires rather than put them out. His job is to destroy the most illegal of commodities, the printed book, along with the houses in which they are hidden.

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
Amazon Canada / Amazon UK / Amazon US / Barnes & Noble US / Bookworld Australia
Spoiler:
From Amazon:

Winner of the Hugo and Nebula Awards

In order to develop a secure defense against a hostile alien race's next attack, government agencies breed child geniuses and train them as soldiers. A brilliant young boy, Andrew "Ender" Wiggin lives with his kind but distant parents, his sadistic brother Peter, and the person he loves more than anyone else, his sister Valentine. Peter and Valentine were candidates for the soldier-training program but didn't make the cut—young Ender is the Wiggin drafted to the orbiting Battle School for rigorous military training.

Ender's skills make him a leader in school and respected in the Battle Room, where children play at mock battles in zero gravity. Yet growing up in an artificial community of young soldiers Ender suffers greatly from isolation, rivalry from his peers, pressure from the adult teachers, and an unsettling fear of the alien invaders. His psychological battles include loneliness, fear that he is becoming like the cruel brother he remembers, and fanning the flames of devotion to his beloved sister.

Is Ender the general Earth needs? But Ender is not the only result of the genetic experiments. The war with the Buggers has been raging for a hundred years, and the quest for the perfect general has been underway for almost as long. Ender's two older siblings are every bit as unusual as he is, but in very different ways. Between the three of them lie the abilities to remake a world. If, that is, the world survives.

Ender's Game is the winner of the 1985 Nebula Award for Best Novel and the 1986 Hugo Award for Best Novel.

Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds
Amazon Canada / Amazon UK / Amazon US / Barnes & Noble / Kobo / Sony Reader Store
Spoiler:
Alastair Reynolds's critically acclaimed debut has redefined the space opera with a staggering journey across vast gulfs of time and space to confront the very nature of reality itself.
Available at libraries everywhere!

Amazon.com Review:

Alastair Reynolds's first novel is "hard" SF on an epic scale, crammed with technological marvels and immensities. Its events take place over a relatively short period, but have roots a billion years old--when the Dawn War ravaged our galaxy.

Sylveste is the only man ever to return alive and sane from a Shroud, an enclave in space protected by awesome gravity-warping defenses: "a folding a billion times less severe should have required more energy than was stored in the entire rest-mass of the galaxy." Now an intuition he doesn't understand makes him explore the dead world Resurgam, whose birdlike natives long ago tripped some booby trap that made their own sun erupt in a deadly flare.

Meanwhile, the vast, decaying lightship Nostalgia for Infinity is coming for Sylveste, whose dead father (in AI simulation) could perhaps help the Captain, frozen near absolute zero yet still suffering monstrous transformation by nanotech plague. Most of Infinity's tiny crew have hidden agendas--Khouri the reluctant contract assassin believes she must kill Sylveste to save humanity--and there are two bodiless stowaways, one no longer human and one never human. Shocking truths emerge from bluff, betrayal, and ingenious lies.

The trail leads to a neutron star where an orbiting alien construct has defenses to challenge the Infinity's planet-wrecking superweapons.

At the heart of this artifact, the final revelations detonate--most satisfyingly. Dense with information and incident, this longish novel has no surplus fat and seems almost too short. A sparkling SF debut. --David Langford, Amazon.co.uk --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

Solaris by Lem Stanislaw
Amazon UK / Amazon US / B&N (US) / Diesel / Google Play (AUS)
Spoiler:
From Wikipedia:

The book is about the ultimate inadequacy of communication between human and non-human species.

In probing and examining the oceanic surface of the planet Solaris from a hovering research station the human scientists are, in turn, being studied by the sentient planet itself, which probes for and examines the thoughts of the human beings who are analyzing it. Solaris has the ability to manifest their secret, guilty concerns in human form, for each scientist to personally confront.

Solaris is one of Lem’s philosophic explorations of man’s anthropomorphic limitations.]

Doomsday Book by Connie Willis
Amazon Canada / Amazon UK / Amazon US / Barnes & Noble US / Bookworld Australia / Nook UK / Kobo UK
Spoiler:
From Amazon:

Winner of both the Hugo Award for Best Novel and the Nebula Award for Best Novel.

For Kivrin, preparing an on-site study of one of the deadliest eras in humanity's history was as simple as receiving inoculations against the diseases of the fourteenth century and inventing an alibi for a woman traveling alone. For her instructors in the twenty-first century, it meant painstaking calculations and careful monitoring of the rendezvous location where Kivrin would be received.

But a crisis strangely linking past and future strands Kivrin in a bygone age as her fellows try desperately to rescue her. In a time of superstition and fear, Kivrin -- barely of age herself -- finds she has become an unlikely angel of hope during one of history's darkest hours.

Five years in the writing by one of science fiction's most honored authors, Doomsday Book is a storytelling triumph. Connie Willis draws upon her understanding of the universalities of human nature to explore the ageless issues of evil, suffering and the indomitable will of the human spirit.

From Publishers Weekly:

This new book by Hugo- and Nebula-award-winning author Willis ( Lincoln's Dreams ) is an intelligent and satisfying blend of classic science fiction and historical reconstruction. Kivrin, a history student at Oxford in 2048, travels back in time to a 14th-century English village, despite a host of misgivings on the part of her unofficial tutor. When the technician responsible for the procedure falls prey to a 21st-century epidemic, he accidentally sends Kivrin back not to 1320 but to 1348--right into the path of the Black Death. Unaware at first of the error, Kivrin becomes deeply involved in the life of the family that takes her in. But before long she learns the truth and comes face to face with the horrible, unending suffering of the plague that would wipe out half the population of Europe. Meanwhile, back in the future, modern science shows itself infinitely superior in its response to epidemics, but human nature evidences no similar evolution, and scapegoating is still alive and well in a campaign against "infected foreigners."p. 204 This book finds villains and heroes in all ages, and love, too, which Kivrin hears in the revealing and quietly touching deathbed confession of a village priest.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 07-23-2013 at 07:57 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I voted for the ones I could get hold of, having learned my lesson from the other club after failing to check my library catalogue before voting!

Last edited by Bookpossum; 07-23-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2013, 03:41 AM   #3
Stephjk
Cruiser
Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, samsung galaxy tab note
Sci fi is really not my thing so I've voted for the books that seem not quite so far-fetched! Next month will be another session of broadening my horizons.
Stephjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:02 AM   #4
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Doomsday Book is going well in this vote. This is one of my favourite books, but I didn't vote for it. I still have Blackout and All Clear to read before I even think about re-reading any of Connie Willis' books.

I'm pushing for Roadside Picnic because it's on my TBR list for this year anyway.

"Go, you good thing, go!"
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:10 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've voted for three modern SF books that I haven't read yet. I hope Kobo coupon codes work on them!

[Not on the Connie Willis. But then, only £2.99]

Last edited by pdurrant; 07-23-2013 at 07:19 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2013, 07:39 AM   #6
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephjk View Post
Sci fi is really not my thing so I've voted for the books that seem not quite so far-fetched! Next month will be another session of broadening my horizons.
My life in 2013 would have seemed far-fetched to me in 1963. The idea that I could have instant access to information on any subject or that I would be communicating with people from around the world in real time would have been mind-blowing.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:38 AM   #7
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Doomsday Book is going well in this vote. This is one of my favourite books, but I didn't vote for it. I still have Blackout and All Clear to read before I even think about re-reading any of Connie Willis' books.
I thought All Clear was so ridiculously bad that I abandoned it and am under a moral compulsion never to read another word Wills has written!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:12 AM   #8
Stephjk
Cruiser
Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, samsung galaxy tab note
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
My life in 2013 would have seemed far-fetched to me in 1963. The idea that I could have instant access to information on any subject or that I would be communicating with people from around the world in real time would have been mind-blowing.
Very true, things have moved so far in the last few decades.
Stephjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #9
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I thought All Clear was so ridiculously bad that I abandoned it and am under a moral compulsion never to read another word Wills has written!
Of the 15,668 people who rated Doomsday Book on Goodreads, 94% liked it. That's nothing to sneeze at. Then again, dogs and cats are nothing to sneeze at either, although they think nothing of sneezing in our faces, but that's beside the point.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #10
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephjk View Post
Very true, things have moved so far in the last few decades.
In this context, I often think of my grandmother. She was born in the horse and buggy days and lived to see men walk on the moon.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:33 AM   #11
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Of the 15,668 people who rated Doomsday Book on Goodreads, 94% liked it. That's nothing to sneeze at. Then again, dogs and cats are nothing to sneeze at either, although they think nothing of sneezing in our faces, but that's beside the point.
All Clear has a 94% rating, too, and it was dreadful. So I'm grabbing a hanky.

Adding that I know this is just moi, and that Wills is highly popular.

Coincidentally, I recently posted my objection to All Clear, if anyone who's read it is curious. Spoilery for those who haven't.

Last edited by issybird; 07-23-2013 at 09:39 AM. Reason: add link
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #12
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Coincidentally, I recently posted my objection to All Clear, if anyone who's read it is curious. Spoilery for those who haven't.
Was about to read it until I saw the spoiler warning.

I've loved everything from Willis I've read, so I'm guessing I will like All Clear. I know my mother loved it and she and I tend to like the same books.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #13
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Hmmmm - second place Ender's Game. Another favourite of mine, but another one I'm not looking to re-read at the moment.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #14
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I've read three of these and there is only one of the others I'd be interested in reading (Rendezvous with Rama). I voted for that and Fahrenheit 451 since it would make for a good discussion.

Doomsday Book
seemed more historical fiction than science fiction to me. Since neither are favourite genres, the book dragged for me.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #15
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
All Clear has a 94% rating, too, and it was dreadful. So I'm grabbing a hanky.
(...)
Ahhh, Enders Game has a good chance of winning.

I read a lot of sci-fi when I was starting my working days, but most of the nominations I didn't read. I'm alright with all, save for the too abstract ones.

It supprises me how soon two favorites are chosen, time and time again. Perhaps a hidden vote (or do I touch a worn out subject here?) and yet, it is nice to see which ones have many votes and to deliberate on this.

Anyway; I keep all nominations (as a lot of the others; I think my TBR has now exceeded my life span ) on a seperate list under MR on my iPad.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote