Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-01-2013, 08:29 AM   #121
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
@paola The issue with the dictionnary happened with a kobofied sideloaded ebook. But so far I can't replicate it with an epub or a kepub. I should have highlighted the specific words
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:37 AM   #122
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
OK, I tried to find a word where this is happening, and it appears that a lookup for word "temporary" has one of the lines cut of at the right boundary.Tried in two separate side loaded epubs, the same result.
I just tried looking up 'temporary' on both my Glo and AuraHD. It is fw 2.5.1 and the same sideloaded standard epub in both cases.

I don't see a right boundary cut off on either device On the Glo the final word of the second definition, 'summer', is on page 2, but that's not what you meant is it?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2013, 08:36 PM   #123
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I just tried looking up 'temporary' on both my Glo and AuraHD. It is fw 2.5.1 and the same sideloaded standard epub in both cases.

I don't see a right boundary cut off on either device On the Glo the final word of the second definition, 'summer', is on page 2, but that's not what you meant is it?
Kobo Touch here. Only one page (page 1 of 1), what I see is "adding several temporaries as typists during th" and there is half of "e" after that.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #124
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Publisher contractual terms may be at work here. They identify a title, and expect it to be used/seen in the way they have specified.
I tried the series sort thing in 2.4x and it didn't alter the display of the title. The series info was printed on a separate line with the title being at the top.

Frankly I find it hard to believe that a publisher cares primarily about how the title is displayed and on Kobo readers when there are so many ereaders out there dsiplaying books in different ways. Maybe they care about how margins, spacing, indents etc.are, but if they don't care about embedded custom faults, why would they care about the rest. More likely they care about selling books.

And why would a publisher pick on Kobo and force them to display certain books with double or triple line spacing that can't be changed, when Sony or Kindle etc. are allowed to display them nicely? Just doesn't seem logical.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:36 PM   #125
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
And why would a publisher pick on Kobo and force them to display certain books with double or triple line spacing that can't be changed, when Sony or Kindle etc. are allowed to display them nicely? Just doesn't seem logical.

Helen
For the most part, what I've found opening ebooks and looking at the contents is that Kobo respects the styling of the ebook. If the ebook specifies a line spacing, your Kobo will not override it. If a margin is specified, the widest setting of the margin slider will show that margin (you can increase the margin but not decrease it). There are arguments on both sides though I tend to the side that says most of the ebooks out today have layouts that are range from poor to total crap and I would prefer to be able to override the styling. On the other hand, that's why Sigil was programmed.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2013, 11:16 PM   #126
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I think that the whole point of customization on an ereader is to meet the desires/needs of the reader. I'd greatly prefer that when I change settings Kobo use them to override the original document settings. Otherwise, what is the point of offering settings?
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:23 AM   #127
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
I think the best solution is to offer a text zoom. Look at a browser for example: you can set the default font size, but if a page has explicitly set the font size, default setting is ignored. If you want to change the font size, you can zoom the text.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:41 PM   #128
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Something has changed, Italics and bullet lists no longer work in synopses. Italics appear as normal text. Each item in a bullet list appears as a simple paragraph, no bullet or indent. They worked in 2.4.0 (haven't tried 2.5.0).
As of 2.10.0, this is still mostly true. Boldface works, paragraphs work (but without a blank line between them, unless there's an actual linefeed between the end-paragraph and start-paragraph tags in the synopsis element), but italics (whether using EM or I) do not work. I have not tested bullet lists.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote