Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-14-2011, 04:59 PM   #16
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Great advice. That's what I settled on when I first got mine, after trying Sepia.
I love sepia, it's my favorite
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:01 AM   #17
G.I.Joel
G.I.Joel began at the beginning.

Device: Nook or Kobo
Producerism, can you update me on your Nook Colour purchase? How do you like it after a few weeks? I see how you changed your mind from the Kobo, to the Nook, to the Nook colour. I wonder how you're finding it to run Android apps. I am Canadian and have no intention to ever buy a Barnes & Noble e-book. Kobo is associated with Chapters/Indigo (our version of B & N) which gives it a plus for me. However, I very much want to be able to check my GMail, Google Maps, and Evernote. Evernote is particularly important for me. Added to that, I use a dictionary and want to be able to highlight everything. Lastly, the eye strain issue of a backlit display is crucial for me. I stare at a laptop all day and the thought of reading from more backlit displays in the evening seems a minus in my books. How are you finding the eye strain? Were you able to get Evernote working? Can you read NY Times and other news sites?
G.I.Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2011, 11:51 PM   #18
joQ
joQ is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs 350
I'm also comparing rooted nook touch with the Kobo touch. Mainly, I want great pdf support (which kobo lacks, and the rooted nook may offer through apps) and good web browsing for reading blogs and forums (something both lack in their normal modes as kobo doesn't allow landscape reading).
Could someone who has some experience with the rooted nook touch please help out with this comparison??

Also, is it possible to convert a 2 column pdf to a 1 column pdf or an epub without garbling everything up??
joQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:22 AM   #19
producerism
producerism began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.I.Joel View Post
Producerism, can you update me on your Nook Colour purchase? How do you like it after a few weeks?
I'm really happy with my Nook Color, and am very glad I didn't get the Nook Touch or Kobo Touch. Main reason is that I have been loving the android experience in full color with all the apps/games/browsing I can handle. None of that would be possible with the Kobo/Nook Touch. Yes, the Nook Touch can run Android, but it's still in eInk with that slow refresh, so I can't imagine the experience being very good.

The ONLY reasons I could imagine getting a Kobo/Nook Touch over the NC would be either weight, or battery life. I thought both of those would be the deciding factors, but in the end the color screen and no-refresh are what sold me.

The Nook Color can run just about any Android app I throw at it, especially since the latest CM7 update (I think I'm on nightly #177). Websites load up just fine.

I am also using Evernote extensively.. mostly to take notes when reading in Moon Reader, Mantano or Repligo.

Eye strain isn't much of an issue - although the most I ever read at one time is for an hour or two. Reading full-color comics at nighttime (in a dark room) can strain my eyes a little after an hour, but lowering the brightness usually helps. Then again, if you had to read an eInk device at night... you need a reading light.
producerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:50 AM   #20
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by joQ View Post
I'm also comparing rooted nook touch with the Kobo touch. Mainly, I want great pdf support (which kobo lacks, and the rooted nook may offer through apps) and good web browsing for reading blogs and forums (something both lack in their normal modes as kobo doesn't allow landscape reading).
Could someone who has some experience with the rooted nook touch please help out with this comparison??

Also, is it possible to convert a 2 column pdf to a 1 column pdf or an epub without garbling everything up??
Since you already have a Sony device, you might want to consider holding off a little bit to see how the new Sony Reader Wifi turns out.

There is some speculation that it also runs on Android, and if it does rooting is a possibility. Potential is greater than Nook STR rooted since the Sony Reader has all the hardware buttons required for Android, as well still being able to support the page turn buttons.

From the videos from IFA 2011 it seems it might work well with PDFs since they support multiple columns feature and pinch zoom.

I'm on the fence myself, but since the T1 has been officially confirmed by Sony I figured I can at least wait another month to see.
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2011, 10:10 PM   #21
joQ
joQ is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs 350
@ log: Thanks for the reply, and I appreciate the heads up about the new Sony.

@ everyone: Which has a better browser for blogs and forums, the Kobo or the rooted Nook? I find my Kobo's brower often doesn't respond when I input url's and the page is not scaled to the size of the browser. This is a big thing for a heavy blog reader such as myself.
joQ is offline   Reply With Quote