Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-12-2007, 06:13 AM   #1
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
TBS to debut cell phone web site for e-books

TBS To Debut Cell Phone Web Site For Electronic Books

TOKYO (Nikkei)--Tokyo Broadcasting System Inc. (9401) will introduce a cellular phone Internet site that sells electronic books related to its television programs, The Nikkei learned Tuesday.

The Web site will be operated with Words Gear Co., an e-books joint venture between Matsushita Electric Industrial Co. (6752) and others. The site will debut Wednesday on the Softbank Mobile Corp. network and on KDDI Corp.'s (9433) au service on Thursday. NTT DoCoMo Inc. (9437) users will have access from Sept. 18.

Initially, the site will market content developed by TBS that will be tied in with six popular TBS shows, including novels by guests appearing on a variety program, as well as photo compilations from its world heritage series.

To increase awareness of the site, TBS will run ads during and after broadcasts. By attracting customers with scripts from dramas and other offerings, TBS hopes to trigger sales of best-sellers and comics. The broadcaster aims to offer around 100 titles.

To purchase the books, users will be required to become members. With three monthly membership options of 315 yen, 525 yen and 1,050 yen, subscribers will be awarded the corresponding number in points, which can be used to purchase the e-books. Most content will cost the equivalent of around 100-300 yen, with users able to buy additional points. Fees will be collected by cell phone service providers together with calling costs.

The broadcaster anticipates 20,000 users in the first year.

(The Nikkei Wednesday morning edition)

http://www.nni.nikkei.co.jp/AC/TNKS/...11D11JFN03.htm (paywall)
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:37 AM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Hope you don't mind me front-paging this, grimo1re, it deserves the highlight.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2007, 11:50 AM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I don't know, I'm quite sure it's far from the first mobile ebook site in Japan. Though this time a major broadcaster is behind it...
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:52 AM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, it's more the implication of it that I thought remarkable.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:45 PM   #5
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Of course I don't mind NatCh. I thought it was quite interesting too with the TV tie-ins plus TBS is quite positive about the site.
Advert
Old 09-12-2007, 12:56 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist

The excellent write up you gave it made it a simple matter to pop it to the front -- you did all the work, I'm just the monkey who flipped the switch.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:12 AM   #7
grimo1re
Geekette

Well I didn't write it up myself...it's a Nikkei piece. Didn't I make that clear enough?
Old 09-13-2007, 12:03 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist

Ah, yeah, I was being unclear: I meant that your post was a substantial enough one that I could just flip the switch without putting together a separate post.