Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 03-18-2011, 12:30 AM   #1
JustinD
JustinD began at the beginning.

Device: iPad mini, iPhone, Kindle
Financial Times recipe Vs Kindle version

I am considering signing up to FT so that I can digitally obtain the paper. I notice that the Kindle version is the same price as the standard digital access. Because of this I am unsure which would be best.

Currently I get the WSJ through my digital online subscription with calibre creating the kindle version. The calibre recipe is virtually indistinguishable from the Amazon kindle purchased version. The only thing it doesn't do is put you in the same place when you back out of an article (small issue), but you then also get the web access, which you don't get with the Kindle version.

Could anyone who uses the Calibre recipe for FT please comment on whether it is the same as the Amazon kindle FT?

thanks,
Justin
JustinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:31 PM   #2
JustinD
JustinD began at the beginning.

Device: iPad mini, iPhone, Kindle
Since I didn't hear anything back from anyone, I went ahead and purchased the online subscription for the FT. I then tried the various recipes. The main FT recipe didn't include much of the paper compared to the kindle version. I then tried the UK print version and that was excellent. That said I am in Australia, so I simply changed the region to the Asia edition, which was extremely simple to do (even for my non-existant abilities).
Now the only difference is the inability for the Kindle to remember the articles section when hitting the back key. With the purchased Kindle version it remembers where it is in the paper. Hopefully this can be fixed soon
JustinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2013, 11:16 PM   #3
dax_money
dax_money began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi JustinD,
Just coming to this thread now. I too have had good luck with the recipe for the FT - UK edition, but as I'm in the US I'd like to change it to that edition. Mind sharing how you were able to that? Thanks.
dax_money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
mapex
mapex began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T2
The FT UK recipe contains the following line:
INDEX = 'http://www.ft.com/uk-edition'

You can change this URL to one of the other editions. The redesigned FT website is buggy at the moment, normally you can find the correct links under http://www.ft.com/intl/uk-edition. I have already reported this to FT support and hopefully they will fix it soon.
mapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:16 PM   #5
dax_money
dax_money began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thank you, this is very helpful.

I too have been having trouble with the FT website lately. Let's hope they fix it soon!
dax_money is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2014, 06:30 AM   #6
mjm001
mjm001 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Hi JustinD. Thanks for your post.

Just wanted to check - Are you downloading the ePaper edition here: http://privilege.ft.com and using Calibre to convert for Kindle use?

I previously had the online subscription and enjoyed using the WebApp. Now I am considering the Kindle option. I have encountered some poorly rendered conversions from Calibre before when converting from .pdf.

But it seems that it is working well for you. Would you reccommend this as the best option?
mjm001 is offline   Reply With Quote