Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-16-2009, 01:30 PM   #1
macgirl
geeky girl
macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone 3GS, former Kindle owner
Help! Need title/author of old sci-fi book about...

...humans living underground because something had happened to the surface of the Earth. People were told that living on the surface was impossible, but one man thought this was untrue and fights his way to a hatch to the surface. He emerges on the surface at the end of the book and finds empty land that appears to be habitable. Of course, this leads to another book to pick up the story.

I read this book as a teenager (um, a long time ago ) and can't remember for the life of me any more details, the title, or author. Does this vaguely-described plot I provided sound familiar to anyone?
macgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:49 PM   #2
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgirl View Post
...humans living underground because something had happened to the surface of the Earth. People were told that living on the surface was impossible, but one man thought this was untrue and fights his way to a hatch to the surface. He emerges on the surface at the end of the book and finds empty land that appears to be habitable. Of course, this leads to another book to pick up the story.

I read this book as a teenager (um, a long time ago ) and can't remember for the life of me any more details, the title, or author. Does this vaguely-described plot I provided sound familiar to anyone?
Sounds like a possible epitome of "THX1138" but it's a movie....
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:51 PM   #3
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Robert Lieberman "Perfect People" ?
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:51 PM   #4
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Oh, man! there was an exact same (nearly) thread here a few months back! I wish I could remember where it was, because the answer would be there.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:53 PM   #5
InlawBiker
Connoisseur
InlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1.0
Logan's Run?
InlawBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:59 PM   #6
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Oh, man! there was an exact same (nearly) thread here a few months back! I wish I could remember where it was, because the answer would be there.

Was it "Help me place this SciFi!"
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:15 PM   #7
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau?
This Time of Darkness by HM Hoover?

There are also postapocalyptic underground societies in Martel's "The City Underground", Galouye's "Dark Universe", and Clarke's "The City and the Stars"/"Against the Fall of Night" (Or was that a domed city? And there was Norton's "Outside", but I'm pretty sure that was a domed city), but I don't think it's any of those...

Oh, and there's Duende Meadow by Paul Cook and Journey Outside by Mary Q. Steele...I haven't read them though.

Last edited by wayrad; 04-16-2009 at 02:28 PM.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:03 PM   #8
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
heh, so many books with that plot!

Emergence by David Palmer? Sounds like it but I don't think it's kindler'ized or on ebook anywhere.

And unfortunately, not re-released lately. That and the fact it was thought one of the best, most underappreciated post-apoc novels (nominated for hugo) mean that used print paperback copies cost are dear.

Last edited by wayspooled; 04-16-2009 at 03:49 PM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:55 PM   #9
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Emergence has a brief beginning sequence in a bomb shelter, but no underground society.

I'm pretty sure I've seen a very similar query answered elsewhere and it isn't any of the books I can think of now...
Old 04-16-2009, 04:02 PM   #10
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
Emergence has a brief beginning sequence in a bomb shelter, but no underground society.

I'm pretty sure I've seen a very similar query answered elsewhere and it isn't any of the books I can think of now...
Yeah, guess you're right.

There's this short novel I think I read in some Golden Age of Sci-Fi anthology that sounds exactly like it. It was from the 40's I think. Probably not that but I remember tunnels and humanity having been underground for ages and hatches, and someone that had to be fought past.. Either roving gangs (or mutants) in the tunnels outside the (underground) communities
Old 04-16-2009, 04:06 PM   #11
macgirl
geeky girl
macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone 3GS, former Kindle owner
Wow! You guys are good! I'm going to have to check out the ones you've all mentioned to see if there's a match. Thank you!

Looking at that "Help Me Place that SciFi" thread, it's not the same book - I don't recall any robots at all in the one I read.
macgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:15 PM   #12
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
There is excellent Polish movie. A sci-fi comedy called
seksmisia (Sex Mission in english)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088083/
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:15 PM   #13
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark

I have a feeling it's in this list somewhere if you want to peruse it and see if any titles pop out at you. This list http://www.scifi.darkroastedblend.co...-novel_06.html or the post-apoc "novella" list.

off topic note: I noticed thanks to a mobilereader, that first place one is here on Mobileread.com

note 2: I don't necessarily agree with any of their rankings but you don't see too many post-apoc ranked lists so thought I'd share it.

Last edited by wayspooled; 04-16-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:20 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Sounds like the video game Fallout that my kid has been playing all most non-stop since Christmas.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:31 PM   #15
wayrad
Fanatic

It might also be possible to look for overlap between the "After the Apocalypse" and "Subterranean Worlds" themes over at Scifan.com...unfortunately there's no way to do it automatically.