Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-13-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
mmholt
MrsUndertaker
mmholt began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Tab S2 9.7
Question problem opening files and paths that contain spaces

I'm running Calibre 0.9.14 on Linux Mint 13. I'm not exactly sure when this stopped working correctly, but I can no longer open files or paths from the panel on the right because of the spaces in the names. Opening a path triggers an error message for every word in the path. Opening a text file opens a new file in my text editor for each word in the file name. If I perform the same operations in my file manager or via an Open File dialog, the action is successful.

It seems to me that whatever part of Linux that is responsible for URL encoding/escaping isn't doing its job. Trouble is, I don't know what to look for. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
mmholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
There are (at least) four ways to handle spaces in paths and file names.

Use qoutes:

"~/my path/my file.epub"

Escape the spaces:

~/my\ path/my\ file.epub

Encode the spaces:

~/my\040path/my\x20file.epub

Quote the spaces:

~/my" "path/my" "file.epub

Sometimes, when connecting over ssh for instance, you may have to combine these methods. For instance double-escape the spaces.

Edit: Rereading your question I realise that I don't actually answer your question. Sorry about that.

Last edited by Adoby; 01-13-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
mmholt
MrsUndertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
Rereading your question I realise that I don't actually answer your question. Sorry about that.
No worries. I appreciate the response, and it is still quite useful information, just not for this question
Old 01-13-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Hmm..? That's interesting. I run Ubuntu 10.04 and calibre 0.9.14 and it works fine (with spaces in filenames). Something that Mint changed? Sorry... Still no real help.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:58 PM   #5
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It could be some unintentional profile setting.

Try rebooting and see if things are the same.

Create another user and see if it works better that way.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:38 PM   #6
mmholt
MrsUndertaker

Well, the whole thing is worse than I thought, and I'm sure it is all related to the horrible mess Linux makes of file associations and the like. Since I upgraded Calibre and my plugins yesterday, I can no longer open some file types, like tar or zip, from within Chrome - it launches Calibre. Open the same file from nautilus, no problem.

I think I'm just gonna reinstall my OS and everything this weekend. Thanks to all for suggestions, I did try them without success.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:20 PM   #7
Adoby
Handy Elephant

Well, I am a long time Linux user, mainly Ubuntu, and I have never had any similar problems with file types. Most likely something happened to your user profile. A reinstall, as you plan, should fix it. Slight overkill, but easy enough.