Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-03-2008, 12:53 PM   #46
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
(So... did you know that < and > are called waka, and ! is bang, etc.?!!)
Yes, I did. I'm also aware of such curiosities as the interrobang.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:58 PM   #47
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Yes, I did. I'm also aware of such curiosities as the interrobang.
______
Dennis
i sincerely don't know how we get by without incorporating the interrobang into standard charsets. i would have use for that punctuation mark daily. maybe we could get that as a smiley, as well (after the :ironymark: of course).
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 05:13 PM   #48
JayCeeEll
Connoisseur
JayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
Can't believe no one has posted this one yet!

There are 10 types of people on planet earth...

those who understand binary and those who don't!
JayCeeEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 05:21 PM   #49
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCeeEll View Post

oh sheesh, i can't believe *I* didn't post that one yet !! that's one of my favorite jokes (because i am a big geek too).

nice catch !
Old 08-03-2008, 07:10 PM   #50
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCeeEll View Post

We were waiting for you to post it.

At Zelda's request:
Reindex brain
0 records reeindexed.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:50 PM   #51
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i sincerely don't know how we get by without incorporating the interrobang into standard charsets. i would have use for that punctuation mark daily. maybe we could get that as a smiley, as well (after the :ironymark: of course).
Well, the interrobang is part of Unicode so on the modern Web we can use it at will. Yes‽ Yes!

The irony mark unfortunately isn't part of Unicode؟
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:01 PM   #52
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram View Post
Well, the interrobang is part of Unicode so on the modern Web we can use it at will. Yes Yes!
YES !!!

(but, um, how ? other than copy / pasting yours every time... i checked in my "table of characters" and didn't see it. maybe i was looking in the wrong place ?)

Quote:
The irony mark unfortunately isn't part of Unicode؟
...but it should be. who do we have to write to about that

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 08-03-2008 at 09:27 PM. Reason: using interrobang in a sentence.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:22 PM   #53
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
YES !!!

(but, um, how ? other than copy / pasting yours every time... i checked in my "table of characters" and didn't see it. maybe i was looking in the wrong place ?)
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interrobang

Quote:
Although most fonts do not include the interrobang, it has not disappeared: Microsoft provides several versions of the interrobang character as part of the Wingdings 2 character set ( on the }/] and the ~/` keys) available with Microsoft Office.[4] It was accepted into Unicode and is present in several fonts, including Lucida Sans Unicode, Arial Unicode MS, and Calibri, the default font in the new Office 2007 suite. [5]
Quote:
The interrobang is not a standard punctuation mark. Few modern typefaces or fonts include a glyph for the interrobang character. It is at Unicode code point U+203D. It can be used in HTML documents with ‽ or &#x203D;, although the second form has poor support in common web browsers. The Interrobang can be used in some word processors with the alt code ALT+8253 when working in a font that supports the interrobang, or using an operating system that performs font substitution.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:24 PM   #54
zelda_pinwheel

thanks dennis !

(pfff. should have thought to check in wingdings...)
Old 08-03-2008, 09:31 PM   #55
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Most OSes have some way which will let you type in arbitrary Unicode characters by their codepoint. Try googling for something like "<your OS> type unicode characters." Once you've got that, the interrobang is Unicode code point U+203D.

Quote:
...but it should be. who do we have to write to about that ???
Ah, that one worked out less well. Your very Wikipedia link informed me that Unicode has "Arabic Question Mark" at U+061F which resembles the irony mark. So I was trying to irony mark the sentence . I actually see it in both my post and yours, but apparently your browser's Unicode support / your available fonts don't render it for you.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:40 PM   #56
zelda_pinwheel

no no, i see it as well ; i know about the arabic question mark too but i remember reading it can cause problems when used in a left-to-right language, since it is a right-to-left character.

strictly speaking the arabic question mark is not quite the irony mark but it's the closest thing we have for the moment. but i still want the REAL irony mark ; and that is what i was talking about.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:53 PM   #57
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
this whole discussion is a testament to your collective extreme geekiness. i think your geek cards may need to be upgraded to platinum, if they haven't been already.
Actually, mine is set at Carbon Nanofibre currently...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:56 PM   #58
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Actually, mine is set at Carbon Nanofibre currently...
of course it is. tch. silly of me.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:57 PM   #59
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
this whole discussion is a testament to your collective extreme geekiness. i think your geek cards may need to be upgraded to platinum, if they haven't been already.

I upgraded mine to scrith.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:58 PM   #60
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Mine is dialed up to scrith.
mine will probably be revoked if i admit i had to look that up.

Tags
unutterable silliness