Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-28-2012, 03:35 PM   #31
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
However, speaking for CURRENT Amazon books, there is no 'phoning home' for DRM access, so as long as you don't lose your key or serial number, the books you downloaded up to now can be stripped of DRM at anytime, even if Amazon and it's servers vanish today.
If you have no actual kindle device and only rely on the Kindle for * apps, then there are certainly scenarios where "can be stripped of DRM anytime" is just not true. If Amazon and its servers vanish today (or you simply become locked out of your account), then those DRMed backups of K4PC files can be rendered useless if the original computer's hard drive (or the computer itself) takes a puke and you have to get a new one.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #32
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
If you have no actual kindle device and only rely on the Kindle for * apps, then there are certainly scenarios where "can be stripped of DRM anytime" is just not true. If Amazon and its servers vanish today (or you simply become locked out of your account), then those DRMed backups of K4PC files can be rendered useless if the original computer's hard drive (or the computer itself) takes a puke and you have to get a new one.
I was addressing the DRM technology, and what would happen if you lost your access to Amazon before stripping.

I mean, obviously, even if you back up and strip immediately, if your hard drive fries, and your backup is corrupted....or you can die before telling your heirs where you buried your Calibre library....
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:51 PM   #33
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I was addressing the DRM technology, and what would happen if you lost your access to Amazon before stripping.
So was I.

Quote:
I mean, obviously, even if you back up and strip immediately, if your hard drive fries, and your backup is corrupted....or you can die before telling your heirs where you buried your Calibre library....
No... you're misunderstanding me (and I'm trying to avoid specifics to stay within MR rules). I'm not talking about data-loss or corruption here. I'm saying that the current "methods" for K4PC files requires that the process takes place on the original hardware. And under the original user account. If the original hardware changes... you're out of luck (even if you had good offsite file backups).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-28-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #34
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So was I.

No... you're misunderstanding me (and I'm trying to avoid specifics to stay within MR rules). I'm not talking about data-loss or corruption here. I'm saying that the current "methods" for K4PC files requires that the process takes place on the original hardware. And under the original user account. If the original hardware changes... you're out of luck (even if you had good offsite file backups).
Oh. I thought it was movable, like the device serial number based method, or the ADE keyfile.

My mistake.
(I can't find my Emily Littella 'never mind' pic...)
ApK
Old 02-28-2012, 04:36 PM   #35
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Oh. I thought it was movable, like the device serial number based method, or the ADE keyfile.

My mistake.
(I can't find my Emily Littella 'never mind' pic...)
ApK
For the files downloaded to actual eink devices, yes they're "movable." But not so for files downloaded to K4PC/Mac.

It's an easy mistake to make.
(but important enough for people to take note of, I think)
Old 02-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #36
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
For the files downloaded to actual eink devices, yes they're "movable." But not so for files downloaded to K4PC/Mac.

And if your K4PC deregisters itself, the previous downloaded DRM books will not open. They all have to be redownloaded. I found this out after K4PC 1.7.0 came out last year. 700 books I had to redownload due to a temp file cleaner program I had used for years wasn't compatible with the new version of K4PC. Now my Archive is close 3000 so I backup everything to Calibre!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:03 PM   #37
deannah
Connoisseur
deannah began at the beginning.

Device: KK, KT, KFire, KFire HD, KPaperwhite
Quote:

If I am understanding correctly, then in order to backup my books successfully (correctly) I should download them to a Kindle device and NOT to the K4PC? Prior to saving them via a Calibre library? This is so confusing.
And TIA.
deannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:07 PM   #38
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
"No one in this thread," when you wrote that, only referred to 3 people.

Your post was the 4th one, and mine was the 5th one.

All the other posts were written before that other post that you're referring to.

Don
(Moderator)
Thanks Don. I should have looked more carefully at the dates.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:19 PM   #39
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by deannah View Post
If I am understanding correctly, then in order to backup my books successfully (correctly) I should download them to a Kindle device and NOT to the K4PC? Prior to saving them via a Calibre library? This is so confusing.
And TIA.

To backup your books, successfully - in my opinion - you need to download them, strip the DRM, and save them where you can back them up so they will be usable on other ereaders.

For me, this is a combination of Calibre, and the tools for Calibre that are available when googling Apprentice Alf.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:35 AM   #40
ApK

Quote:
And TIA.
No, the device vs. K4pc issue is merely a comparison of "if you don't strip the DRM right away, how much has to wrong before you no longer can."
Old 02-29-2012, 12:38 PM   #41
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
And TIA.
You can do it whatever way you want, though unless you are using K4PC to manage your collections, I find the easiest thing to do with my Amazon books is to choose to download them for my Kindle but transfer via USB.

That way it's just a case of loading them into Calibre, one button to convert, then I can take a back-up of my Calibre directory. Job done.

I personally then just transfer a dozen or so books from Calibre to my Kindle every now and then. Though if you find it a pain to side-load your books, immediately after loading them into Calibre, you can choose to re-download your books from Amazon but transfer wirelessly.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #42
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
That way it's just a case of loading them into Calibre, one button to convert,
What one button? I just drag them to Calibre. Done. And there'd be no conversion needed for putting Amazon books on a Kindle.

Normally, I use Calibre's email feature to send the books to my various devices, and if needed, conversion is done then automatically.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #43
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Conversion purely for DRM/back-up reasons. I forgot about the email option as an easier alternative to re-downloading it using whispernet, but I prefer to transfer via USB because also gives the battery a wee charge in the process.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:12 PM   #44
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post
I read the old thread (now closed) about amazon banning peoples accounts.
I understand that they seem to have banished a bunch of accounts in one sweep...being an old thread I wondered if anyone knows if they have since changed their policy or if anyone has heard of recent account bannings.

I don't buy very much from amazon, but am a little freaked out that they would do this across the board rather ruthlessly IMO, to at least some who didn't seem to really deserve it.
I've only made a couple returns to amazon but had a string of bad kindles that I had exchanged. The idea that they could suddenly lock me out of my kindle account has me a bit rattled.

The worse thing seems to be that you can't tell if your account is in bad standing or has this changed?
I missed that thread. I did see a thread where one person had numerous accounts and they were all banned but I did not read a thread about numerous people each having an account that was banned.

In the thread I did read, I certainly so no indication that the person didn't deserve it. She protested her innocence much as Bernie Madoff and the folks at Enron did. My opinion is that she knew perfectly well why she was banned and didn't mention it for good reason.

I suppose if I try to buy something and I get a message that says, "You've been banned from doing business with Amazon" then I'll know. Until I get a message like that I won't worry about it because I'm doing nothing unusual, dishonest, unethical, or sneaky.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #45
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I think it's wrong that they can revoke stuff you bought and paid for unless you committed some kind of fraud, like using a stolen credit card. But something like returning too much isnt fraud. Maybe taking advantage, or abuse of the return policy. Okay, they can certainly stop doing business with you for that, but to revoke stuff you bought and paid for legitimately, with no refund? That's an overreach. As they say, two wrongs don't make a right.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, banned, kindle, returns