Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-23-2011, 05:37 PM   #1
Alda
Zealot
Alda began at the beginning.

Device: none
So much code for each section - is this normal?

Hello,

I'm testing out Sigil and trying to figure everything out. It's going reasonably well, but I'm puzzled by the huge amount of code for each section. I've got around 50 sections in my eBook and for each one there's around 2,000 lines of code before I actually get to the body text.

Is this normal? Or does it have something to do with the text being created in Word and saved as html??

Thanks!

Alda
Alda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:43 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Word creates 1000's of lines of kruft.
Try filtered HTML

You might try Open Office and writer2epub (next forum down)
I have converted DOC to EPUB with little touch-up
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:08 AM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I agree, it is not the fault of Sigil, but of your source file. BTW, most of the crap can be removed without much problems. That will result in much cleaner files.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:13 AM   #4
Alda
Zealot

Thanks.

Yes, I figured most of the gunk would come from Word.

So can I go ahead and clean that out without all my hard work in Sigil going down the toilet?
Old 01-24-2011, 10:26 AM   #5
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alda View Post
Thanks.

Yes, I figured most of the gunk would come from Word.

So can I go ahead and clean that out without all my hard work in Sigil going down the toilet?
probably - but a wise man makes a backup before deleting what he thinks is irrelevant junk!
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:24 PM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Oh, everything will work. But perhaps not as you would like. If you have special formatting in mind, you need either a CSS stylesheet or do some makeup in the book view of Sigil. Keep a good look on the span tags, they can usually be removed without much problems.

The font part you can delete without problems. I would recommend getting Liz Castro's book, EPUB straight to the point. It is intended for iPad, but there are some good things in there. There is a chapter of how to create a nice epub from the Word junk.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:47 PM   #7
Alda
Zealot

Thank you. Actually I uploaded a different version of the book, exported from InDesign, and it's MUCH cleaner. So I working with that now.

Best - Alda
Old 01-25-2011, 04:22 PM   #8
Carl314
Enthusiast
Carl314 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Motorola Droid with Aldiko
You've solved your problem, but one thing I find works well is an epub to epub conversion in calibre - it removes all of that unused css in each file and consolidates what is used into one stylesheet.
Carl314 is offline   Reply With Quote