Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-21-2012, 04:40 AM   #61
pstjmack
Connoisseur
pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Android tablet
Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series - 20 titles' worth of total historical immersion. I can't believe that no one else mentioned these already in this thread. It's rated as one of the great novel cycles in any genre.

Also, Ford Madox Ford's The Fifth Queen trilogy about Katharine Howard and Henry VIII - available now for free courtesy of Gutenberg. Ford's Parade's End series is also a great take on life just before and during World War I - "possibly the greatest 20th-century novel in English", says one critic.
pstjmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:29 AM   #62
KrowNB
Enthusiast
KrowNB began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstjmack View Post
Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series - 20 titles' worth of total historical immersion. I can't believe that no one else mentioned these already in this thread. It's rated as one of the great novel cycles in any genre.

<SNIP>.
I did!!!! Post 35. I was so disappointed when I got to the last book, 'Blue at the Mizzen'. After the marathon of reading all 20 books of the series back to back, knowing that book was to be the end due to Mr. O'Brian's death, I did not finish the last few chapters. I guess I just didn't want it to be over! That was a couple of years ago and that book is still sitting with the bookmark in it where I left it.

I'm presently reading the second book in Follet's Century Trilogy, 'Winter of the World'. I'm totally wrapped up in this story!

After reading through this thread, I think I might try Giles Kristian's Raven series next. I hope he will present the historical background as well as O'Brian, Cornwell, Iggulden, and Follet.
KrowNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2012, 04:11 PM   #63
ClareK
Connoisseur
ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Laser
KrowNB, I felt exactly the same about the Aubrey/Maturin series. I read the books, one after the other - bought what I couldn't borrow - until it came to the last one. I've never been able to bring myself to read it.
ClareK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:08 AM   #64
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Well you can always buy the cookbook "Lobscouse and spotted dog" http://www.amazon.com/Lobscouse-Spot.../dp/0393320944
owly is offline   Reply With Quote