Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-02-2007, 10:47 AM   #31
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Ummm... I emailed them and asked for samples?!?
Heh, I thought it would be all complicated.

Thanks!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:34 AM   #32
Rob Hudson
Rob Hudson began at the beginning.

Device: ETI-2
Post Backlit eBook devices aren't going away

Great conversation. I have an interesting take on this topic, since my company is heavily invested in the use of backlit eBook devices.

Recently, I spoke with eBook Technologies Inc, the maker of the ETI-2 (eBookWise) device, and they assured me that their long-term manufacturing plans of the backlit units have not changed. They have E-Ink devices in development, but the ETI-2 backlit devices are here for the long term.

I don’t think the backlit units are going away any time soon. There are too many commercial applications for them.

For example, we use the ETI-2 backlit ebook readers for the newspaper carriers who use our software. Instead of delivering newspapers using paper route lists with the dome light on, they have a backlit eBook device mounted to the windshield. It is immensely safer to use while driving than any paper system.

In demonstrating the necessity of backlighting, these pictures say it all:
eBook Devices used for night time newspaper delivery

In addition, I have yet to see an E-Ink device that is as rugged as the ETI-2. Many commercial environments require a rugged eBook device.

Lastly, since the E-Ink is monochrome only, and many commercial uses of eBook technology require color, E-Ink will not supplant color eBooks for many applications.

eBook devices are gaining popularity in commercial applications. Aside from our software for the newspaper industry, these devices are also in use in the military and in other government applications. Most commercial users will not justify the price difference between the ETI-2 and E-Ink devices.

E-Ink, while promising, will be unsuitable for commercial use until:
1) Its price comes down
2) There is a backlight or integrated frontlight option
3) There is a color option

This is good news for the consumer users who prefer backlit devices. You’ll continue to have backlit devices to choose from for some time to come.

Rob Hudson
rob@mydistrict.net
MyDistrict.Net - Newspaper Circulation Software

Last edited by Rob Hudson; 12-04-2007 at 07:39 AM.
Rob Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:35 AM   #33
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Hudson View Post
Recently, I spoke with eBook Technologies Inc, the maker of the ETI-2 (eBookWise) device, and they assured me that their long-term manufacturing plans of the backlit units have not changed. They have E-Ink devices in development, but the ETI-2 backlit devices are here for the long term.
Hold the phone there, Rob!

Actually I should remember my manners and first welcome you to the community.

What you said there is of particular interest at the moment, I wonder if you had this conversation with ETI in any documented format (like e-mail) that you could share with us, it might resolve some questions we've had kicking around the place for a while.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:09 PM   #34
Rob Hudson
Rob Hudson began at the beginning.

Device: ETI-2
Hey NatCh,

It was a telephone conversation, and I'm not certain which details they would want me to share. Detailed questions should be directed to Garth, who I'm sure will be glad to help. I did not realize until after I posted this that Garth is a contributor to the forums.

Basically, the gist that I can share is that we asked eBook specifically about long-term plans because we were going to need ETI-2 units in significant quantity for a long time to come. They assured us that there was sufficient supply to meet demand, and that we are only a small part of the commercial market.

I hope this helps...

Rob Hudson
rob@mydistrict.net
MyDistrict.Net - Newspaper Circulation Software

Last edited by Rob Hudson; 12-04-2007 at 04:11 PM.
Rob Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:30 PM   #35
NatCh
Gizmologist

Even that's still good to know, Rob. We've been having a discussion recently (don't know if you've noticed it yet or not) about whether the eBookwise device qualifies as a "legacy" device or not, that's why I'm particularly interested in what you had to say on the matter.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:42 PM   #36
jmorton
Connoisseur
jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
One possible solution to the dilemma may be in the design of the One Laptop Per Child computers. The screens are ordinary backlit LCD screens until you turn the brightness all the way down. Then they go to a gray scale that is very much like ePaper. The battery last longer in this mode and they can be read in bright sunlight. Has anybody here fooled around with one of these yet?
jmorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 02:02 PM   #37
zinj
Connoisseur
zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Irex DR800SG, Kyobo Mirasol Reader, 2 Pocketbook Ultras
Motorola e paper phone has a light

Hey folks. There already is an e paper device on the market with a lit screen. My Motorola F3 Motofone has an e paper display fron E Ink and it is side lit. There is a small slit beheath the screen and a small LED is used to provide minimal illumination. It's not as effective as a backlit LCD but it's still readable.
zinj is offline   Reply With Quote