Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-06-2012, 06:29 PM   #436
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Actually Bezos did mention it but I don't think it really sank in until now....
He said you would be presented with ads about products relating to the app you were using. The example was some action figure of some character in some game.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #437
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Kindle Fire HD
  • 7" 16GB = $199
  • 7" 32GB = $249
  • 8.9" WF 16GB = $299
  • 8.9" WF 32GB = $369
  • 8.9" 4G 32GB = $499
  • 8.9" 4G 64GB = $599
64GB with no WiFi only model? bah!
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #438
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Oops! My mistake. But it is still another layer on top of the screen.
Yes, but Amazon is laminating the capacitance layer.
Sony's problem was air between the layers.
Display manufacturing tech has improved a lot in the past few years under prodding of the smartphone wars. And it is accelerating; things that were unthinkable a couple years ago are headed our way.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #439
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Amazon never mentioned a WiFi only 32GB model during the presentation. Bad Amazon.
Back to normal, I see.

The presentation ran 90 minutes and skipped a lot of things that will take days to filter out. The natives were getting restless even so; reporters are not known for their attention spans...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #440
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I wouldn't put too much stock in that. I bet the new screen is still as gray without the light on.

It's like those before and after pictures. In the before, the model has disheveled hair, no makeup, and is the picture of gloom, like somebody just ran over her dog. In the after, she's all made up and smiling like a lottery winner.
I was thinking the same thing based on my experience with my 650. Shine a light on the 650 and the screen is a lot lighter. When the light is not directly on the screen, it is greyer.

As for the before and after photos, notice that the contrast and/or lighting it better in the after.
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 06:40 PM   #441
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Back to normal, I see.

The presentation ran 90 minutes and skipped a lot of things that will take days to filter out. The natives were getting restless even so; reporters are not known for their attention spans...
I was listening to CNet's commentators and looking at Gizmodo's feed. So it's not that it wasn't reported by the two sites. It wasn't mentioned by Bezos. Also, the 64GB 4G LTE only model was also skipped over.

From what I am reading after the event, there does seem to be a lot left out. One thing left out that I would have wanted to know is how the display is without the light and how the battery is without the light. I would hope the light can be turned off.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:41 PM   #442
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Looks like the Nexus 7 is still the best bet for me. Google Play is a must and I don't want to hack my tablet to get it. I'll keep using my six-month-old Nook Tablet until I can afford a Nexus or Google comes out with something better.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #443
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
That's how grey my K4 screen is.
Oddly I had to turn mine on to the open page and it is not that dark grey. I only bought mine less than one month ago, though.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #444
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Well that is a swing and a miss on their uk offerings, the ones that offered something interesting for their price were the larger fire and the paperwhite, so of course the ones they offer from the outset are the bog-standard eink and the 7" tablets that really aren't that compelling an option with the nexus 7 already being widely available, it is like they are going out of their way to avoid sales.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #445
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I watched/read coverage of this morning's press conference on CNet as the announcements were being made. That was fun!

Although I'm not too interested in the Kindle Fires since I already have two tablets, I have been admiring the Kindle Paperwhite. I can't justify buying one right now since my Kindle Keyboard 3G still works fine, but I am very tempted.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #446
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
Oddly I had to turn mine on to the open page and it is not that dark grey. I only bought mine less than one month ago, though.
It varies. I got mine when they came out from Amazon. I had to exchange it once due to the background being even darker than the pic. The one I have now is like the pic. I use a modified font that is bolder than the default fonts. It works okay for me.

I have been in so many debates over my K4 screen to the point people have told me it's an illusion but many K4 and some KT users got a screen like mine. One person told me it's the bezel so I bought a black skin which made it look green. *sigh* I've grown use to it but I would love to try the new improved one with the black bezel and new font technology.

I found the best advice came from GeekMaster. The warmer the unit the better the display. This does help out alot.

I can wait to try the Paperwhite!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #447
Feedmonk
Feedmonk shares his or her toysFeedmonk shares his or her toysFeedmonk shares his or her toysFeedmonk shares his or her toysFeedmonk shares his or her toysFeedmonk shares his or her toysFeedmonk shares his or her toysFeedmonk shares his or her toysFeedmonk shares his or her toysFeedmonk shares his or her toysFeedmonk shares his or her toys

Device: Nexus 7
[QUOTE=tubemonkey;2210607]Thanks for the link. I really appreciate it. I added feeds from your listing to my list. I've also bookmarked your website for future use.

Awesome! I built feedmonk to help people just like you are with this forum! We should have a bookmarklet built with in the next couple of days to make it easier to get blogs listed on feedmonk.

Thanks again and would love some feedback for www.feedmonk.com
Feedmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:43 PM   #448
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
I like the grey screen on my 4 month old K4.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #449
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
I watched/read coverage of this morning's press conference on CNet as the announcements were being made. That was fun!
Glad you liked it.

Stay tuned, because we're gonna do this all over again next Wed (12 Sep) for Apple's press event. I plan on setting up another thread like this one with links to live blogs. Again, CNET will be the one I'll be watching.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:59 PM   #450
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feedmonk View Post
Awesome! I built feedmonk to help people just like you are with this forum! We should have a bookmarklet built with in the next couple of days to make it easier to get blogs listed on feedmonk.

Thanks again and would love some feedback for www.feedmonk.com
Thank you; and I plan to hit your site next week for Apple's big show. Will give some feedback after that event. Keep up the good work.