Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-04-2011, 12:13 AM   #1
The Thrall
The Thrall began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950
Sony 950 Periodical format/Calibre

My downloaded news feeds aren't placed in the Periodical folder of my reader.
I'm guessing something isn't set right in Calibre ver. 0.7.47
They're converted to PDF and tagged with News,(name of paper)

They just show up as "Books".

I've searched several threads, and no info other than "Calibre does it automatically".

Somehow the automatic isn't working for me....

Any ideas, other than editing each metadata tag? (which just adds "Periodical" to Collections)

Thank you,
The Thrall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:52 PM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Welcome to MobileRead! It is automatic for me that calibre news feeds show up in the Periodical folder. Here is a setting in calibre that I would recommend that you check. Under Preferences, select Conversion > Common Options. Within the Common Options window, select the tab for Page Setup. For output profile, I have selected Sony Reader 900. Don't forget to click Apply in the upper left corner of the window to save any changes you make it.

I also use the output file format EPUB rather than PDF, but I wouldn't think that should make a difference to your problem.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2011, 06:01 PM   #3
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Aura One
It works for me as well. I also use format
ePub formwhat it is worth.
mcrmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:25 PM   #4
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I also works with epub for me too. If you do find you need to change the tags you can edit them in bulk in Calibre. Just highlight everything you need to change the tags for and click the Edit metadata button and it will add any tags you want to all selected books.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:48 PM   #5
The Thrall
The Thrall began at the beginning.

THANK YOU!!

It was converting to PDF format that made Calibre think the news feed was a book!
I deleted all the news items on my reader, including the tags.
Changed the format from PDF to ePub.
And tada! Periodicals! With working TOC! WoW!

Thank you, new friends!
I'm finally looking forward to reading the news.

Last edited by The Thrall; 03-08-2011 at 12:50 PM.
The Thrall is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2011, 02:40 PM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Great! Thanks for reporting back with the solution. The calibre Fetch News feature is fantastic.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:25 PM   #7
PurpleVikram
PurpleVikram began at the beginning.

I too had this problem, but only some of the time. It seems that when I ask Calibre to send more than one issue of the same periodical to the reader, only one of the issues was recognized as a periodical. The others ended up with the books. Sending them one at a time to the reader fixed the problem.

Last edited by PurpleVikram; 02-19-2012 at 11:28 PM.
PurpleVikram is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
periodical, sony 950