Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-14-2010, 09:19 AM   #1
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
does anyone use Pandora?

I've been listening for the last 2 days and am thinking about officially signing up and paying. I'm really impressed with the mix I have gotten thus far. has anyone had any bad experiences?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:23 AM   #2
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I've been using Pandora for about 6 months now and am generally pleased. One problem with Pandora is that the mix it provides is sometimes right on target and other times way off target, and there is no way to control the mix. But overall, for the $36 I paid for a year's ad-free subscription, it has been a bargain and very good. My wife uses it as well, much more so than I do, and really enjoys it.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2010, 09:24 AM   #3
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
I used to use it and was not impressed, although that was over a year ago so maybe they've gotten better or my tastes are so strange as to defy definition

Maybe I'll give it another shot.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:24 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've not heard of Pandora. What is it? A "Spotify"-like service for on-line music?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:31 AM   #5
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've not heard of Pandora. What is it? A "Spotify"-like service for on-line music?
I don't know what Spotify is, but it is a customer designed online radio station sort of deal
Advert
Old 12-14-2010, 10:23 AM   #6
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
I played with the free droid version and it seemed pretty cool. I havent been able to check it out for any real amount of time yet.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:49 AM   #7
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I use the free version sometimes, though not enough yet to warrent paying for a subscription.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:01 PM   #8
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Harry, Pandora lets you "create" stations of music that fits your taste and you can have any number of stations. For example, I like Cecilia Bartoli so I created a station called Cecelia Bartoli and Pandora provides performances from her and other similar opera singers. You can tell Pandora that you like or dislike certain songs and it then tries to find others that you like and avoid those similar to what you dislike.

I have stations that run the gamut of my taste, for example, Placido Domingo, Dmitri Shostakovitch, Dave Brubeck, Miles Davis, Tchaikovsky, B.B. King, and Iron Butterfly. (I've got a bunch of others as well, along with the stations my wife created.)

Pandora offers a free and a paid version. I opted for the paid version because it is cheap enough ($36/year) and ad free. The free version interrupts the music with audio ads, which I found very annoying.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:05 PM   #9
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
I used to listen to it regularly, but a couple of years ago they closed it down - except for listeners in the US. They said they hope to re-open it soon, but as far as I know they never did.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:02 PM   #10
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
I use the pianobar command line Pandora client, which gives me ad-free unlimited listening without a paid subscription. I'm not exactly sure how or why you get that with pianobar, but it sure beats having to have a browser open all the time or paying!

There's another such client with a limited GUI for linux called pithos.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:54 PM   #11
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I like it, but I'm not sure how the music gets chosen and it is frustrating me. I sometimes use it for the 10 minute commute to daycare. My station is "Spongebob Squarepants", which quickly morphed into "The Chipmunk Christmas song channel". (That's when I found out about the six skip limit.) After I started giving thumbs downs to anything Chipmunk, it switched to the Disney soundtrack channel.

I would get a Spongebob song about once a week, and that's what I didn't like about it. I named it Spongebob because I wanted a high ratio of Spongebob with some other songs filled in. (If I wanted 100% Spongebob, I'd just play the CD. )

I haven't used it in a while, but after another round of changing thumbs ups to thumbs downs, it is now becoming the kids songs channel, which is better, but still not what I had wanted.

I'm thinking of paying for the service just to get past the skip limit.

I'm playing Christmas music now (not by Pandora) but I'll probably pick it up again over the holidays and see if I can figure out how to make it do what I want. Some (not all) of my other stations play lots of songs by my named artists and I don't know why it choses the songs that it does.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:45 PM   #12
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Chris uses it on his Droid X. Seems to like it, as far as I can tell, he said something about considering upgrading as well, once. I think I'd like the paid version, myself.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:51 PM   #13
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Love Pandora and use it almost daily
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:29 AM   #14
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I like vibes players, particularly Cal Tjader. Unfortunately, Pandora thinks that anyone who likes Cal Tjader wants latin music, so it keeps giving me Tito Puente and Poncho Sanchez.

I continue to get latin even after removing Cal Tjader from my list of vibes players.

So it's been a while since I've listened to Pandora.

My favorite was lala.com, but Steve Jobs and Apple bought it and shut it down, so my favorite now is grooveshark.com.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:30 AM   #15
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

well I just took the plunge and paid for a subscription ;o)