Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-07-2009, 03:31 AM   #31
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Great news for Amazon and internationals like me in .au - lousy news for Sony. Which is a shame because everything I've heard pegs Sony devices as being better than the Kindle.
But maybe that's Sony's fault for not moving fast enough.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:32 AM   #32
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforce View Post
Simple math says that international "Bestseller" readers are going to pay 40% more (at a minimum) than USA "Bestseller" readers---for the same Kindle-version books (including the $1.99 surcharge).

Wow...
Considering I often have to pay over twice the Amazon price for books sold in Australia, I'll take what Amazon can offer.

Some good news is that you can change your country on the "Manage Your Kindle" page. You will probably need a US credit card or to use the gift certificate trick to buy the American selection at US prices. The curious question will be whether books are still wirelessly delivered regardless of which country you are in. Since the international Kindles are designed for travelling overseas, I doubt they will require customers to change their location whenever they cross a border.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:36 AM   #33
sforce
Connoisseur
sforce doesn't littersforce doesn't litter

Device: Plastic Logic (?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Kindle View Post
A couple interesting points gleaned from your comprehensive list:

1. Despite what the Kindle International homepage says about $9.99 NYT bestsellers for international readers, NONE of NTY Bestsellers to any other country than the US appear to be under $11.99 (with some over). And then is added the $1.99 international surcharge.

2. Only about half of the counties listed have wireless downloads available.

"Low Book Prices: New York Times Best Sellers and New Releases are $9.99, unless marked otherwise. When traveling abroad, you can download books wirelessly from the Kindle Store or your Archived Items for a fee of $1.99"

Last edited by sforce; 10-07-2009 at 04:24 AM.
sforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:49 AM   #34
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieClarken View Post
Considering I often have to pay over twice the Amazon price for books sold in Australia, I'll take what Amazon can offer.
I've just looke for a book now in Kindle for Spain. 9,75$ (7.99$ en pb and 4.07 in paperback at my home at bookdepository), so...
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:53 AM   #35
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Thanks for that, BK. Quite fascinating.

I live in France where 'Kindling' is unlikely to spark a bonfire because relatively few ebooks are available in the French language. I'm a Brit, though, so it's interesting to see that Amazon justifies the two dollar hike in best seller prices there by claiming 'includes VAT'. As has been correctly pointed out in another thread here, ebook downloads are merely 'licences'. This means they are 'services' rather than 'purchases', thus carrying 6% VAT and not the 19% which the price increase reflects. Where's the extra buck and a half going?

By the way, I'm a partner in a small indie publishing house in Europe (BeWrite Books). The ebook versions of our paperback titles and those of scores of others were dropped by Amazon when they opened their own Kindle-specific store because publishers had to have an 'official' US presence. As far as I can see, publishers (and self-publishers) without registered US offices and/or US tax and social security numbers are still excluded.

Cheers. Neil (who's quite happy with the freedoms offered by his Sony PRS-505 and would prefer a small box of good Havanas for Christmas to a Kindle -- and not just because Cuban cigars are one of the very few things left that we can buy and Americans can't).
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:56 AM   #36
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Someting bugs me, the UK website say amazon meant to do an "uk-centrer kindle experience. And no such thing on the fr website.
And while I might have considered it to get access to the books on amazon, the no ePub support kills it. Given that European publishers uses only ePub...
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:20 AM   #37
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
It will not be a real international and localized Kindle, but a US centric device that will be able to do roaming in other country.

You will only be able to get (for now) US books, and maybe less if there is region lockout, you will have to pay in US dollars even if it's not your local money, so you will be charged for money conversion, etc.

It's not even sure that the service will stay free of charges...
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:23 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforce View Post
Wow, a full 20% international surcharge added to Amazon's $9.99 bestsellers seems outrageous, don't you think???
Not really. Have you looked at the "roaming" charges for data on GSM networks? And don't forget that, in the EU, eBooks are liable for the full rate of VAT, which is anywhere from about 15% to 25%.

Last edited by HarryT; 10-07-2009 at 04:25 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:28 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
It will not be a real international and localized Kindle, but a US centric device that will be able to do roaming in other country.

You will only be able to get (for now) US books, and maybe less if there is region lockout, you will have to pay in US dollars even if it's not your local money, so you will be charged for money conversion, etc.
True, but the Amazon UK announcement says:

Quote:
In the future, we plan to introduce a UK-centric Kindle experience, enabling you to purchase Kindle and Kindle books in sterling from our Amazon.co.uk site.
so hopefully this is just a "stopgap" measure.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:36 AM   #40
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
What about existing US Kindles in Europe?

Sorry for asking a naive question:
Lots of us have ordered US Kindles.
It has been okay to use them via USB and not having had Whispernet so far.
But of course, with the international units approaching, it would be nice to switch.

Will the international units be "hard coded", i. e. fixed SIM card for the respective country? What if someone with the "German Kindle" travels to, let's say, UK. Can he download there without additional fees?
If so, theoretically this should be possible with the "old" US units as well? Or is it only possible with the "international" ones?
So, will all units be working everywhere (as long as there's coverage)? And will this apply to the "old" US units as well?

Last edited by mgmueller; 10-07-2009 at 04:39 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:39 AM   #41
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
The old units probably only have a cdma radio in them and thus still won't work outside the usa.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:42 AM   #42
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
While this news is a useful first step to try and shake up some of the international markets, with their claimed figures for books being 280 (UK/AUS), 290k (NL/DE) compared with 350k for the states, I think the sensible approach will be to sit back and let other people see just how bad the geographic restrictions turn out to be in practice rather than theory.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:44 AM   #43
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
The old units probably only have a cdma radio in them and thus still won't work outside the usa.
I fear so as well.
Performance wouldn't be that important to me. Whether it's EDGE or whatever.
But being able to download via Whispernet (or whatever the name will be in Europe) would be nice.
Maybe just switch providers via Firmware upgrade?
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:44 AM   #44
LucasCorso
Enthusiast
LucasCorso doesn't litterLucasCorso doesn't litterLucasCorso doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
I have a US Kindle also, and I live in Belgium. When hearing the news about an international Kindle I wondered if mine will work also, but no luck, the modem is changed from EVDO to HSDPA.
My question is... If I register my Kindle now will I be able to buy books and download them to my computer? Or when registering it will complain with something like "you have a US Kindle, can't be registerd from your location". Hm...
But I think Amazon made a smart move, instead of negociationg individually with GSM operators it transfered the costs to users...
LucasCorso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:48 AM   #45
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
On the other hand, you will be able to buy your books with your homeadress and home creditcard.

Oh, and what about the Kindle app?
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote