Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-30-2009, 05:41 PM   #16
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
My guess would be that they're recalling them to install the updated firmware but are telling the managers to say that they warranty cards are missing. I suspect that they're worried about admitting a software defect since it could deter someone from buying it after the update. After all, Sony has had some buggy software issues. Heck, I have an mp3 player that I love but replaced because after 2 hours of dealing w/ their buggy software that kept crashing, I was too tired from trying to get songs on the player to go work out.

+ 1

Some customers would probably return the device when prompted to install firmware.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 06:50 PM   #17
yessirrom
Connoisseur
yessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enough

Device: HTC HD2 and i-Pad
I just went ahead and ordered one online. Hopefully it will be quicker than waiting for the store stock. I also got silver instead of black.
yessirrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:47 PM   #18
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by yessirrom View Post
I just went ahead and ordered one online. Hopefully it will be quicker than waiting for the store stock. I also got silver instead of black.
Let us know how it goes.

I ordered one on the 26th, the order still says Processing. I called and was told they had problems with the store, yadda yadda, and that my order should be shipped within 48 business hours. I remain skeptical.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:06 PM   #19
sminarovich
Connoisseur
sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony ereader 500 & 600
Strangely, the Canadian site is experiencely no reported delays, the only products listed as either out of stock or pre-order are the covers. I wonder if Sony cares if Canadian customers have either warrenties or the necessary updates.
sminarovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:10 PM   #20
formerroadie
Bada Bing
formerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Mine shipped out just fine and the firmware update was a piece of cake. I have no clue why anyone would freak about it since it just happens automatically when you first connect the device with the ebook software. It was way simple and I've had no problems since. Hmmmm.... sounds odd.
formerroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:16 PM   #21
Grandma Aubbie
Grandma Aubbie
Grandma Aubbie doesn't litterGrandma Aubbie doesn't litterGrandma Aubbie doesn't litter

Device: sony 600
Interesting - the 600 is back to Preorder on the SonyStyle site. It shows the original August 31 shipping date - even though I've had mine (Black) since last Friday.

I have had a couple of software glitches - the computer reader wouldn't open without crashing when my 600 was attached, 600 froze on "do not disconnect." It seems to be OK after downloading and reinstalling the software onto my computer. (Windows Vista 64)
Grandma Aubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:17 PM   #22
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
Quote:
Originally Posted by sminarovich View Post
Strangely, the Canadian site is experiencely no reported delays, the only products listed as either out of stock or pre-order are the covers. I wonder if Sony cares if Canadian customers have either warrenties or the necessary updates.
I think they must, at least here in Ontario, because I have been scouring for them and they are not in any of the stores. The Eaton Centre guy admitted after pressure that they came in briefly and had to be sent back (presumably for the warranty card issue).

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:14 AM   #23
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Wouldn't the Canadian devices have a different warrenty card.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:47 AM   #24
Grandma Aubbie
Grandma Aubbie
Grandma Aubbie doesn't litterGrandma Aubbie doesn't litterGrandma Aubbie doesn't litter

Device: sony 600
Sonystyle US shows "Backorder" on the 600 as of this morning (August 31).
Grandma Aubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:38 AM   #25
lev
Zealot
lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma Aubbie View Post
Sonystyle US shows "Backorder" on the 600 as of this morning (August 31).
I wonder what this means for our pre-order at borders store. I hope they will be shipping them today...
lev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:40 PM   #26
yessirrom
Connoisseur
yessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enough

Device: HTC HD2 and i-Pad
I called the Dallas store again this AM.
The sales rep says "yep, I have 7 available."
Me: "What about the recall?"
Sales "Huh?"
Me: "Ask your manager."
A few minutes later,
Sales: "Sorry we do not have any available, thanks for telling me."

He went on to say they were being sent back due to a dictionary licensing issue.
yessirrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:48 PM   #27
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hm, a dictionary licencing issue ? that's news. i wonder which it is really, warranty card or dictionary ? seems like an odd problem to have, you would think sony would know about licencing issues... whatever the problem, i hope they can straighten it out fast.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:52 PM   #28
rling
Connoisseur
rling began at the beginning.

Device: Mentor Lite, Nook Color, Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by alecE View Post
Am I missing something here, surely it would be easier to bulk mail warranty cards to the stores instead of recalling all the readers? Apologies if my puzzlement reflects ignorance of the US market place
As long as you have your official receipt of proof of purchase, you will have a statutory warranty. The card is not really needed.
rling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:58 PM   #29
rling
Connoisseur
rling began at the beginning.

Device: Mentor Lite, Nook Color, Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
hm, a dictionary licencing issue ?
If that applies to the 600, then it would also apply to the 300.
rling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:01 PM   #30
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by rling View Post
If that applies to the 600, then it would also apply to the 300.
The 300 does not have a dictionary.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote