Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 01:26 AM   #1651
anesthezea
Groupie
anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Libra 2
I have many, many books in Marvin and it is quite slow when loading, taking between 50 to 70 seconds to load the library, then a bit of further time to load the collection menu afterwords, depending which collection was last opened (collections with more books take longer than those with fewer books). I have the same books loaded into collections in iBooks, but it takes hardly any time at all to load that app. Is there a difference in how Marvin and iBooks read/load things? I'm guessing that Marvin does more stuff while loading than iBooks does, hence the wait? I know the solution would be to have a much smaller, easier to load library, but I like having a lot of choices. I never know what I want to read until I browse a bit.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:04 AM   #1652
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
@anesthezea - how many books have you got and what's your iPad model?
Old 07-08-2013, 04:34 AM   #1653
anesthezea
Groupie
anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
@anesthezea - how many books have you got and what's your iPad model?
iPad Mini 32 GB. Roughly 3,200, I think.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:55 AM   #1654
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Saw this on MacRumors and thought I'd share here. This is currently free, but will soon be $2.99 according to the developer.

http://marvinapp.com
So what happened to this being $2.99? Did the developer decide that IAP themes was a better route to go?
Old 07-08-2013, 06:04 AM   #1655
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@anesthezea - Marvin scans books during startup in favour of running the scan as a background task. The advantage is that once Marvin loads, it's behaviour will be more consistent. Of course, the startup time is proportional to the number of books in your library. I am working on improving startup times further (hopefully in the next version). On a personal note I think that 3200 books is bit too much. Still, I'm committed to faster start ups.

@Canuck - I don't think that IAPs are a better route. I have no plans to hide any core features behind IAPs. Themes only exist for people who want to match the overall scheme to the cover of the book they're currently reading (such as myself).
Old 07-08-2013, 06:47 AM   #1656
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by anesthezea View Post
Why not leave the majority of those in Calibre? I carry around about 20 books at any one time.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:02 AM   #1657
Gurvan
Groupie
Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: En Europe, mais pas loin des Etats-Unis et d'un grand groupe de hard-rock Allemand...
Device: iPhone 6+ and iPad 1 (love them both...)
Sometimes, you do not have access to a computer for a while... As for myself, I do carry around 1.000 books on my iPad and can be gone away from my own computer for months at a time... Thus, carrying your books in Marvin makes sense for some like me. ;-)
Old 07-08-2013, 08:34 AM   #1658
kguil
Addict

@anesthezea, Gurvan - In the next update, most startups will be about 2.5x faster.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #1659
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
As if having 3,200 books made it easier to choose which one to read. Never mind being away from the computer for months at a time; you would die of old age before reading every one.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #1660
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
you would die of old age before reading every one.
Really not the point of having a large library.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:53 PM   #1661
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RONE View Post
Something that just occurred to me that I thought I should mention:

When you release synchronization between devices, will there be any concerns with shared AppleID's between individuals? The point I'm trying to make is my wife and I use one AppleID between her iPhone, her iPad, and my iPhone (and there will probably be another iPad for me added to the mix this fall). Will synchronization between devices be an issue for us? I would love to be able to pick up her iPad and read my book on it without having to hunt for my page, but I don't want Marvin to automatically open to my last read page of my book on her iPad for when she is trying to read her own book. I hope that made sense??
RONE: you should be able to use one Apple ID for App Store purchases and a separate one for everything else like iCloud and iMessages. That's what my husband and I do.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #1662
RONE
Enthusiast
RONE began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by anesthezea View Post
Could you not leave those books in a Dropbox account, 'star' them so they remain downloaded to your device and you don't need an internet connection to access them, and then pull them into Marvin as you decide what you want to read? I guess one problem with that would be you wouldn't have enough space in a free Dropbox account for that many books (so maybe put as many as you can in Dropbox, and keep the rest in Marvin? Also use Google Drive for extra free space?). Another issue would be not having a " batch 'star' " option for Dropbox, so would have to individually load and 'star' each book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSue View Post
RONE: you should be able to use one Apple ID for App Store purchases and a separate one for everything else like iCloud and iMessages. That's what my husband and I do.
I appreciate the response. I've toyed with that, except that having iCloud synced between our phones gives us the ability to use the notes app jointly on our phones (grocery lists, etc), plus it gives each of us access to the other's contacts in case they were ever needed. Now, if there's a better note-taking app that would let us sync between devices, I'd be happy to try it out.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #1663
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
I appreciate the response. I've toyed with that, except that having iCloud synced between our phones gives us the ability to use the notes app jointly on our phones (grocery lists, etc), plus it gives each of us access to the other's contacts in case they were ever needed. Now, if there's a better note-taking app that would let us sync between devices, I'd be happy to try it out.
Evernote has a shared folder the two of you can use, might require the paid version to sync when not connected to wifi if you need that. You can always access the other person's contacts and calendar via their cloud through a browser if you know their ID and password.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:46 PM   #1664
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Quote:
Now, if there's a better note-taking app that would let us sync between devices, I'd be happy to try it out.
Better than Apple's Notes? No challenge there! I like Nebulous Notes which syncs via Dropbox and does not require a dedicated folder.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:01 AM   #1665
Gurvan
Groupie
Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: En Europe, mais pas loin des Etats-Unis et d'un grand groupe de hard-rock Allemand...
Device: iPhone 6+ and iPad 1 (love them both...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
@anesthezea, Gurvan - In the next update, most startups will be about 2.5x faster.
Thank you !
Closed Thread