Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-03-2012, 12:21 AM   #1
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
4 Ways High School Makes You Hate Reading

http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-ways-h...-hate-reading/

Last edited by HarryT; 10-03-2012 at 03:00 AM.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:41 AM   #2
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
I read a lot, but rarely for pleasure. Maybe when I retire, but, for now, I read for information mostly. I totally agree with the assessment. When I was in grade school, I spent summer days trying to get to the public library. I cringe when my kids come home with their school readings -- I don't want to discuss Moby Dick, Tale of Two Cities, or Shakespeare.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:29 AM   #3
ElsieC
Zealot
ElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmos

Device: Sony PRS-505
I am currently reading A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. If Bryson wrote my junior high and high school text books, I would have enjoyed science so much more!
ElsieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:36 AM   #4
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
[QUOTE=xg4bx;2245888but since experience has taught me that there's about a 95 percent chance that a random (adult) book I pick up is going to be unenjoyable[/QUOTE]

That would be Sturgeon's Law: 90% of everything is crap.

Welcome to adulthood.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:00 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
I cringe when my kids come home with their school readings -- I don't want to discuss Moby Dick, Tale of Two Cities, or Shakespeare.
Any reason why not? All great authors.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:23 AM   #6
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Any reason why not? All great authors.
That is a subjective postulate. I happen to enjoy Shakespeare, but I also recognize that he is hardly the flavor of the month. For a non-native speaker of English it is more akin to a chore than enjoyment. For someone who enjoys fast packed action thrillers none of these authors are very appealling. They may speak to an intellectually inclined teenager but most 16 - 17 year olds will be buggered to read something they can't associate with, like say Harry Potter.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:47 AM   #7
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I had a boring, horrible Shakespeare professor and I hated Shakespeare for years. OTOH, in high school, I had a really fantastic, enthusiastic English teacher. I remember reading Catcher in the Rye and Heart of Darkness (two books on the "suck" list in the article) in her class and being enthralled by them.

It's all in the teacher, I say.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:52 AM   #8
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Dickens, Shakespeare and Melville are all pretty wordy by modern standards, but what really kills them, to me, is the dissection.

I can get usually get something out of watching a Shakespeare play, if I'm in the right frame of mind, but I still shy away from the two I studied to death at school.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:07 AM   #9
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Well, a lot of that stuff boils down to the reason that I avoid 'literarure': reading tastes are subjective, while those who flog particular books/authors seem to believe it is objective. The literature crowd just happens to be worse since they have a strong sense of elitism.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:39 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Because by all means... everything learned in a classroom setting needs to be fun and appealing and even exciting! And no one should ever have to learn the difference between doing things you want to do and doing the things you're assigned to do.

I know I've always appreciated the experimental "No Wrong Answers (or fractions/decimals either!)" math class my school offered.

But seriously...why does this always seem to come up? In my experience, the desire "to read" is sparked long before a child starts being assigned "chore fiction" to read in school. And I've yet to meet the child whose passion for reading was extinguished by academic reading assignments. Case in point: these articles are almost invariably written by people who still love to read even after the horrible ordeals they were put through. Waaaah!

So in my opinion, while "upgrading" curricula to include more contemporary, "exciting" genre fiction just might result in better grades (on the average), I don't think it would have much impact overall on the number of avid readers that come out of the system.

Readers are going to read what they want outside of class anyway, so why not at least expose them to other writing? Even if they don't like it? It won't kill them.

"You can't always get what you want.
You can't always get what you want.
No, you can't always get what you want...
But if you try sometimes... you just mind find...
You get what you need.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-03-2012 at 08:50 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:42 AM   #11
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Thankfully I already had an interest in reading before I got into school, otherwise I think I would have fallen into the "I hate reading" trap. I don't know who decided that Barbara Kingsolver was compelling reading for 14 year olds but I got stuck with it in high school.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:51 AM   #12
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
But seriously...why does this always seem to come up? In my experience, the desire "to read" is sparked long before a child starts being assigned "chore fiction" to read in school. And I've yet to meet the child whose passion for reading was extinguished by academic reading assignments. And plus... these articles are almost invariably written by people who still love to read even after the horrible ordeals they were put through. Waaaah!
+1. If you (the parent) have not instilled in your child a love of reading loooong before his high school Lit teacher assigns him to read "A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man", then he (the child) is already screwed. And if you have done your job and taught him the joys of reading, both for knowledge and pleasure, then this experience won't ruin him.

Edit Or her. Girls can read, too.

Last edited by hrosvit; 10-03-2012 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Don't want to seem like a sexist pig./
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:58 AM   #13
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
But seriously...why does this always seem to come up? In my experience, the desire "to read" is sparked long before a child starts being assigned "chore fiction" to read in school. And I've yet to meet the child whose passion for reading was extinguished by academic reading assignments.
I have. Specifically, my own brother who just started reading for pleasure in the last couple of years - after having learned to hate reading in junior high school (when the chore reading starts; prior to that, he was into the Hardy Boys for his reading pleasure) almost 30 years ago.

Hell, junior high and high school almost extinguished my own love of reading - but, frankly, I only just barely passed English in those days because I was unwilling to give up reading for pleasure in order to read and dissect the crap (several Shakespeare plays, Catcher in the Rye, and a couple others I can, fortunately, no longer remember), mainly only passing because we also did "To Kill A Mockingbird" and "Lord of the Flies", which were actually *good* (at least at the time I was reading them; they were mostly ruined by the dissection in class ).
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:01 AM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Hell, junior high and high school almost extinguished my own love of reading...
Horsehoes and handgrenades.
Horseshoes and handgrenades.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:07 AM   #15
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Most of you must have had a better school experience than I. Heck, school is what drove me deeper into reading. It was an easy form of escapism that didn't involve getting drunk or high with my classmates that were also looking for an escape.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote