Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 12-03-2011, 09:57 AM   #16
Guatejon
Guatejon began at the beginning.

Device: none
DO NOT name your book with the file extension .htm Make sure it is book.html. This will save you a ton of frustration with the table of contents.
Guatejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:12 PM   #17
maxrempel
maxrempel began at the beginning.

Exactly same problem with me.
Notepade++
Chrome
Explorer 9
Created TOC in word, saved as filtered HTM
renamed file to book.html
Still getting an error on UPDATE.
I am trying to create TOC for 8 full working hours already (being an advanced user with plenty of html experince)
Please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbear65 View Post
I am having a related issue. I am using Notepad++ for the formatting and then uploading to Mobipocket. I followed DMSmillie's great instructions but I'm still getting an error after clicking update. I am using Windows 7, I have IE9 loaded but use Chrome, and I am not using Calibre.

The tag I used is <a name="toc"></a> at the top of the Table of Contents. The file name that I am trying to link in the guide is mbp_toc.html and I added #toc.

Am I missing a step? Do I have to go from Notpad++ to Calibre and then to Mobipocket?

Would appreciate any help anyone can provide.
maxrempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:22 PM   #18
maxrempel

Thanks! Uninstalling IE9 helped solving IE9 error message!

Thanks! Uninstalling IE9 helped solving IE9 error message!
I used Microsoft Fix it 50778 to remove IE9
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2579295
This restored IE8.
Now MobileRead Creator doesn't give error after UPDATE in Guide as above in this thread.
I will describe next error in a separate message.
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
As noted earlier in this thread, it seems that having IE9 installed is sufficient to cause problems, whether you use it or not. Since you are not using it, why not get rid of it? It's worth a try.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:33 PM   #19
maxrempel

After Build, I saw 3 warnings.
The key warning was:
" Hyperlink not resolved: C:\Users\Max\Documents\My Dropbox\00 TNB\02 TNB ebook\00pbs\book.html"
I removed the path and left only book.html#toc
That solved the problem and voila! on hour 10 of fighting with the problem it is solved. I will post the complete workflow in a separate message.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:40 PM   #20
maxrempel

Mark chapters in Word with Header1 style etc.
Create Table of content in Word and make sure to uncheck page numbers.
Save into filtered html.
Rename file to book.html with l at the end.
Install free notepad++
open book.html in it.
search for table of contents
paste there "<a name="toc"></a>" just in front of Table of Content
in mobipocket creator
click the "Guide" tab, and enter a line like this:

Title: Table of Contents
Type: toc
Filename: book.html#toc

Build, open in Kindle previewer
see that the toc is now working.

P.S. After repeating the editing and creation of the doc few times, I found couple more bugs.
First: the process works only if the project is started from scratch. Replacing the main html file doesn't work.
2. After first build, the program looks for "book.html" not in the original directory but in the publication=result=build directory, so I copy the book.html file there. It works fine then.

Very buggy!

Last edited by maxrempel; 12-19-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:35 AM   #21
pakphile
pakphile began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
TOC guide error

I am VERY new to both Mobi and HTML. I am trying to add guides for TOC and startup page. I followed the instructions, adding #toc and #start after the file name found in My Publications folder. However, I get this error message each time I try to UPDATE:

Mobipocket Creator Publisher v 4.2 build 41

Microsoft Internet Explorer
4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; MATP; BRI/1; .NET4.0C; BOIE9;ENPH)0

Line: 149
Character: 3
Code: 0
Url: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Mobipocket.com/Mobipocket%20Creator/rsrc/html/guide.html

What am I doing wrong?

thanks

Pakphile
pakphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:37 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You have IE9 installed. Uninstall it and install IE8. It will then work fine. Mobi Creator is incompatible with IE9.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:42 PM   #23
pakphile
pakphile began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You have IE9 installed. Uninstall it and install IE8. It will then work fine. Mobi Creator is incompatible with IE9.
OK, but Windows 7 doesn't seem to let me uninstall IE9, I can turn it off, but not uninstall. I tried to run it in browser mode ie7 and doc mode ie7, but still get the error that

Microsoft Internet Explorer
4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; MATP; BRI/1; .NET4.0C; BOIE9;ENPH)0

Line: 94
Character: 3
Code: 0
Url: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Mobipocket.com/Mobipocket%20Creator/rsrc/html/table_of_contents.html

Sorry, I am trying to create this kindle for my wife, but I am dense on computers.
pakphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:00 AM   #24
Dellu
Dellu began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Now, I wrote a short guide to get a good epub result from PDFs.
http://dellu.wordpress.com/2012/01/1...t-best-method/

I hope it helps somebody.

Cheers
Dellu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:03 AM   #25
darkpoet
ePub Headbanger
darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Boox Poke4 / Sony PRS-505
To uninstall Internet Explorer 9 from Windows 7 go to the Control Panel - Programs and Features, click on "View installed updates" and from there search for Internet Explorer 9...

Now you can remove it and MobiPocket Creator will work fine.
darkpoet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mobipocket creator, table of contents, toc