Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-03-2010, 12:22 PM   #1
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Kobobooks.com suggestion

Longer samples!

Sometimes all we get is "Openers" and no actual sample of the book itself.

I won't buy any book, even if the author is known to me, without sampling, so a sample with no sample is an automatic no-sale to me.

For example, I tried to sample The Chamber of Ten and got only "praise for..." blurbs for previous books by the author.

Thinking this might be a limitation put onto the ebook by the publisher, I went to Amazon to check it out, downloaded their sample to my Kindle, and immediately began reading the first chapter.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:17 PM   #2
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
Shopping Cart.

I usually buy multiple books at a time to load onto my kobo. It is a real pain to have to check them out one at a time...
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I was sampling a book the other day (forgot where) and it allowed me 23 pages. Not bad until I realized it was counting the cover, TOC, intros, etc. By the time I actually got to the first page of the story itself, I had already lost 11 pages.

Sigh...
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:13 PM   #4
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
Same here--not enough of first chapter to tell me if the book is any good. That's why I never buy Sony ebooks--they are so far behind all the others in this regard.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:27 PM   #5
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Absolutely. Logical sample -- first chapter always seems a good minimum start. An "advanced" search option. The ability for readers (esp. verified purchase readers) to post comments about titles. Start building out a recommendation engine; esp. on that learns from collective users and your own choices. Netflix and Amazon do this really well; Kobo should too.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2010, 02:32 PM   #6
leighisme
Connoisseur
leighisme began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPhone 4, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
The ability for readers (esp. verified purchase readers) to post comments about titles.
That would be perfect. A star rating isn't enough for me to decide to buy a title. I end up reading the reviews on Amazon a lot.
leighisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:37 PM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
There is a "comments" feature which could definitely be for short reviews, but it surely is buried. I seem to be able to see comments/leave a comment if the book is in my library--either because I have purchased it, or if I click to add it to my library without purchase. I then click on the library title, which returns a page with the commenting feature.

I would very much like the comments option to be displayed earlier--on the page with the book's description and for the comments to be available to me without adding the book to my library. Renaming it something like "reader reviews" would make a whole lot of sense.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:09 PM   #8
terraskye
Groupie
terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Mine:Kindle 3(wifi)Sony PRS-300(died)His: Sony Prs-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_a_smith View Post
Shopping Cart.

I usually buy multiple books at a time to load onto my kobo. It is a real pain to have to check them out one at a time...

I second or third a shopping cart!!
terraskye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:40 AM   #9
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
What kills me is when they give you the first 5-10 pages then skip to page 200 or something. Who would want to read any part of the book in the middle? Do they want to give away what's going on in the book? Will that persuade you to buy? Seems silly. Just give me the whole first chapter.
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:14 PM   #10
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
There is a "comments" feature which could definitely be for short reviews, but it surely is buried. I seem to be able to see comments/leave a comment if the book is in my library--either because I have purchased it, or if I click to add it to my library without purchase. I then click on the library title, which returns a page with the commenting feature.

I would very much like the comments option to be displayed earlier--on the page with the book's description and for the comments to be available to me without adding the book to my library. Renaming it something like "reader reviews" would make a whole lot of sense.
So, I tried this. And, yes, without your help I'd never have noticed this.

Comments are actually tied, not to the book, but to the chapter. I commented when the bookmark happened to be at chapter 10 ... who will ever see that?

I think I stand by my original post: kobobooks should add (verified) customer and anyone else to add comments tied to specific titles.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:05 PM   #11
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The comment feature is fairly new. A few weeks back I noticed that the site looked horrible for about 30 minutes. It seems that they were part way through a big change and had not yet loaded the new stylesheets.

I guess I had not really thought about there being a website development team that is also making incremental changes. I wish we knew what their vision for the future might look like. I'm guessing they are working madly on the shopping cart and bringing new country/currency versions of the site up, but, as I said, even that is a guess.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:38 PM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
If you look at the Chapters web site, it has a very similar look to the KoboBooks site; probably the same developers but it DOES have a shopping cart!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:16 PM   #13
taming
Trying for calm & polite

The interesting thing (to me) is that Chapters just completed a redesign and it looks way more like Kobo than it did 10 days ago. Kobo started as a Chapters-Indigo project (shortread? shortbooks, shortbread?), so they undoubtedly had the same development team back then.

Warning Wild Speculation One possibility would be for Kobo and Chapters Indigo to share the same bookreview feature and the same shopping cart scheme--not that you would necessarily be able to have Chapters and Kobo books in the same cart at the same time, but rather that the content management systems for both were, urmmm, more cooperative. Chapters owns 58% of Kobo. There are undoubtedly many factors relating to how they relate to each other that we are clueless about. That being said, from what I can tell Chapters-Kobo has occasionally developed a feature that then was adapted for the eBook and tree book vendors (for example Borders) with whom they partner.

Somewhat less speculative: I just spent some time on the redesigned Chapters store. When I clicked on a book cover, in the ebook section, it said that using Chapters Indigo gift cards for ebooks was "coming soon." There are review links in the ebook listings, but they do not appear to be working. I assume the presence of the link means that that people who want to use Chapters-Indigo as the front end of their Kobo book buying will at some point be able to easily read and post to the reviews on the CI site.

Last edited by taming; 10-10-2010 at 05:40 AM. Reason: another visit to CI newly designed site