Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-02-2011, 08:57 AM   #1
Washakie
Washakie began at the beginning.

Device: none
E-ink reader below 250$ just for PDF-reading, highlighting and taking notes

Hi everyone,
I am looking for the perfect "relatively cheap" e-reader to read PDF without graphs, formulas or images (I would read mainly plain text pdf, journals articles above all).

I've found the following readers that should work well with PDF (and are not as expensive as the 9 inches ones):

Kindle Touch
Kindle 3
Iriver Story HD
Bebook Club
Pocketbook Pro 602
Sony PRS-650
Bebook Neo / Onyx Boox 60

Is there any other, more appropriate, reader?
Which one would you buy if you were in my position?

Thank you all in advance!
Washakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:06 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Avoid the Kindle; it doesn't support PDF reflow.

The Sony does well with reflowed PDFs. You may wish to get the new T1, which is basically a replacement for the 650.

Most of the others you list use the older generation eInk screen, which has much poorer contrast than the "Pearl" screen used on the Kindle and Sony.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2011, 11:54 AM   #3
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Onyx Boox A60 and X60 ship with Pearl displays from vendors in the US since about 2 months ago The M series as well of course.

Our store doesnt list the X60 as we don't get much interest in it. But it is available from others and we do sell the A60
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:14 PM   #4
Washakie
Washakie began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Avoid the Kindle; it doesn't support PDF reflow.

The Sony does well with reflowed PDFs. You may wish to get the new T1, which is basically a replacement for the 650.
Thank you very much!
Considering the PDF Reflow, the landscape mode, in general the PDF handling, the SD slot and the price I think I'm gonna get a T1!
Washakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:25 AM   #5
Drop Bear
Enthusiast
Drop Bear began at the beginning.

Device: dr800sg
I got a T1 yesterday and I am quite surprised by how well it handles PDFs. Plus it takes notes very well. The virtual keyboard is very responsive.
Drop Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2011, 06:42 PM   #6
sparke
sparke began at the beginning.

Device: None
You're not having problems with the size of the pdf's? Seems like 6-inchers are too small to work effectively with pdf's?
sparke is offline   Reply With Quote