Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 07-20-2009, 07:43 PM   #31
lugusto
lugusto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lugusto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lugusto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lugusto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SmartQ 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndx View Post
Anyone who's downloaded the Chinese version of CE and who wants English should check here. If those files don't work, there's a link there that show's how to translate the gui files pretty easily.
Worked! Thanks for the tip.

Anyone knowns how to get ActiveSync working between Q7 and XP Home?
lugusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:44 PM   #32
Houndx
Groupie
Houndx doesn't litterHoundx doesn't litter

Device: A81 MID, Dell Streak
Awesome

edit: Have you downloaded the Windows Mobile Device Center?

Last edited by Houndx; 07-20-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Houndx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2009, 10:12 PM   #33
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Thanks to Houndx I've been able to get WinCE working for this device. Its not completely translated to English but it is good enough to play around with and use. What a difference in performance. Once I had the stylus calibrated it was so fast to launch applications and the OS is very slick on this device. I'll see if I can do some tests on Music and Video after I get everything set up right. I'm hoping the english version is released soon by SmartDevices, because what I see so far is just awesome.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:12 AM   #34
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Well after working with this thing entirely too long tonight I don't think this English language conversion cab file is a good fit for our SmartQ7. It was made for the Meizu M8 device which has many of the same specifications as the SmartQ7, but with some key differences (screen and other hardware). What you get when you run the cab is a very fractured-but-working version of WinCE 6. On my machine it would change ALL icons in explorer to recycle bin icons. My WiFi wasn't working either. I could not get any USB drivers to recognize the device. Last, but most importantly, I could not install any version of the popular eBook readers that work on WinCE (MobiPocket, Microsoft Reader, UBook, Etc..). Why run WinCE if none of the ebook reading software installs? I guess I'll stick with the default OS. If anyone has better luck installing applications to even the chinese version of WinCE let me know.

I've been on the chinese fan forums for SmartQ and the translation is so bad I can't really get the gist of what they are saying. They do have links to software that works on the SmartQ7 in WinCE, but those links are all tied to forum accounts and you can't download them. The chinese forums show many screenshots of all kinds of applications running on the device (although I see no major ebook reading software I mentioned above). Playing games is fun and all, but I bought this device as an eBook reader. This is also very important for folks looking at other WinCE 6.0 devices coming out. Hopefully someone who knows a little more about it can shed some light on the situation.

Last edited by ColdSun; 07-21-2009 at 03:42 AM.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:36 AM   #35
Nation.A.List
Addict
Nation.A.List doesn't litterNation.A.List doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
I've been on the chinese fan forums for SmartQ and the translation is so bad I can't really get the gist of what they are saying. They do have links to software that works on the SmartQ7 in WinCE, but those links are all tied to forum accounts and you can't download them.
For the SmartQ Fans Forum I run two tabs side by side one in Chinese where I can log in and see all the hidden parts (downloads) and the second a google translation of the Chinese tab. BUT even when I can see the hidden downloads I still can't download them as It says you "have no money" i.e. I assume you get 'money' for making posts etc ??
Nation.A.List is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2009, 04:39 AM   #36
Nation.A.List
Addict

Quote:
What you get when you run the cab is a very fractured-but-working version of WinCE 6. On my machine it would change ALL icons in explorer to recycle bin icons. My WiFi wasn't working either. I could not get any USB drivers to recognize the device. Last, but most importantly, I could not install any version of the popular eBook readers that work on WinCE (MobiPocket, Microsoft Reader, UBook, Etc..). Why run WinCE if none of the ebook reading software installs? I guess I'll stick with the default OS. If anyone has better luck installing applications to even the chinese version of WinCE let me know.
Shame about the WinCE translation problem, have you tried the other method of translating WinCE from JT's blog?. Lets hope the English version comes soon/at all.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:38 AM   #37
Nation.A.List
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
LOL so I see! Very nice specs, if only that screen were an inch or two bigger! I may have to settle - or wait til someone builds my "dream device".
Maybe your dream has come true? http://www.ctlcorp.com/v4/p-715-ctl-...s-xp-home.aspx
Old 07-21-2009, 08:09 AM   #38
Houndx
Groupie
Houndx doesn't litterHoundx doesn't litter

Device: A81 MID, Dell Streak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nation.A.List View Post
Shame about the WinCE translation problem, have you tried the other method of translating WinCE from JT's blog?. Lets hope the English version comes soon/at all.
Yeah, I'm real sorry to hear that. On the second page at the link I posted is also this which gives instructions for translating the gui files.

Inside the cab file from my first link is an xml file that details the files installed, so those could be extracted from the SmartQ's OS and then translated. Although that sounds like alot of work, it at least gives us a fall back option if the English version isn't released soon for some reason.

Ah well, I just ordered mine from mp4nation on Friday so I've got a bit of waiting to do before I get to play around with everything.

Last edited by Houndx; 07-21-2009 at 08:11 AM.
Houndx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:25 PM   #39
Nation.A.List
Addict

WINCE 6.0 English on smartdevices.com.cn available now. - Got my licence today
Old 07-21-2009, 04:49 PM   #40
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

I don't see it myself. I see the same chinese version on both the english site and chinese site. Can you link it? Oh and I think I made a breakthrough on getting WinCE applications running on the device. I'll post again when I'm sure more of them are working.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:03 PM   #41
Nation.A.List
Addict

HOLD THAT Downloaded from SmartQ English Site but still in Chinese!
Old 07-21-2009, 05:52 PM   #42
Nation.A.List
Addict

Making this post from my Q7 using WinCE, a bit of luck and some educated stabbing with the stylus got my WiFi up and running!
Old 07-21-2009, 06:07 PM   #43
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

Mobipocket, uBook, .NET 3.5 Framework, Kingreader (VERY cool reader but only takes txt files blah), CorePlayer and PocketRAR all installed and working perfectly. I need to make CAB files for some of these that will install them correctly on the SmartQ 7.

Update: PDF Reader is a no go so far. I'll let you know if I can get it working.

Last edited by ColdSun; 07-21-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:15 PM   #44
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
Mobipocket, uBook, PDF Reader, .NET 3.5 Framework, Kingreader (VERY cool reader but only takes txt files blah), CorePlayer and PocketRAR all installed and working perfectly. I need to make CAB files for some of these that will install them correctly on the SmartQ 7.
Thx cold for the update I love my Q7 for reading PDF's,I'm using it more than the Cybook.

Last edited by Gibbo; 07-21-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:55 PM   #45
heron61
Enthusiast
heron61 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipod Touch 3rd gen, SmartQ V7
Quote:
Mobipocket, uBook, PDF Reader, .NET 3.5 Framework, Kingreader (VERY cool reader but only takes txt files blah), CorePlayer and PocketRAR all installed and working perfectly. I need to make CAB files for some of these that will install them correctly on the SmartQ 7.
Very cool, now I'm even more inclined to get one. Does Opera Mobile 9.5 work in this version of WINCE?
heron61 is offline   Reply With Quote