Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats

Notices

Old 04-08-2011, 01:44 PM   #16
condor
condor began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
For some odd reason, plain text seems to come out nearly microscopic in size.
I'm not certain that my above statement was clear. I meant that the ".txt" files that I tried to read on my Nook Color came out with very small characters. But I am still trying to learn how to do things on it.

I love the HTML reader on the NC. I just wish I could force the content to stay on the screen. HTML docs seem to stay on the screen better when I'm in landscape mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZdave View Post
One problem I have seen with epub is the unzipping time can be significant for large documents, i.e. the King James bible. So I store a couple versions of the bible in html format. It is easier and quicker to start up.
Maybe they need to come out with a variation of EPUB that uncompresses the table of contents and keeps each chapter compressed until you want to read it.

A feature to search within a compressed book (or compressed chapters) shouldn't be impossible, there are already utilities that let you search for a word in a compressed file.

Last edited by condor; 04-08-2011 at 01:48 PM. Reason: added an ommitted word, and another comment on HTML
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:51 PM   #17
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The unzipping is not done by the ePub file itself, but by the software reading it. There's no reason that the software couldn't keep the TOC in memory after unzipping, but once the file is unzipped, it would be strange to delete the unzipped copy. They should be keeping the unzipped file in a temporary storage area somewhere, and reading from that.

Most people reading novels never use the TOC, I bet. They just start at the beginning, and keep reading until they are done.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2011, 11:45 AM   #18
condor
condor began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
True enough, I don't bother with the TOC when I'm reading a book. I just mentioned unzipping specific chapters as a possible future method to handle large reference books, like the Bible, mentioned by AZdave.

Sorry about my poorly worded comments, I understand that NC uses Adobe Digital Editions to display epub files. I'm guessing that B&N selected ADE to handle digital rights management, which isn't a concern with me as I am busy reading public domain books.

Last edited by condor; 04-22-2011 at 11:48 AM. Reason: added "possible future"
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:25 AM   #19
kinkle
Connoisseur
kinkle began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3 3g and KT 3G
I download some ebooks in .htm format. I coppy the books in kindle's document folder.
Who know a way to read this format on kindle? Please help.
It is possible to use experimental browser to read that .htm ?
kinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:43 AM   #20
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkle View Post
I download some ebooks in .htm format. I coppy the books in kindle's document folder.
rename the extension to .TXT and it will be read.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2011, 01:14 PM   #21
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkle View Post
You could use calibre to convert it to .mobi.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:21 PM   #22
kinkle
Connoisseur
kinkle began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3 3g and KT 3G
Thanks. I will tray.
With calibre I have some problem with malicious url that kaspersky report. I uninstal it. But i will try again.
kinkle is offline   Reply With Quote