Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-11-2009, 09:28 PM   #1
scroll1
scroll1 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Painfully slow boot up on PRS-500

I have the PRS-500 and an SD card of around 1500 books. I love having my full collection with me when I travel, however if the machine ever has to be rebooted it takes "hours" to start up.
I don't know what it is doing.
I am just wondering if anyone else experiences this or how this compares with the Kindle or other devices.
thanks,
Wayne
scroll1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:54 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
When you move eBooks onto the reader or memory card without using the Sony eBook library, they are unpaginated and the reader spends a lot of time scrolling through and adding page numbers.
This is trying to one's patience and uses up the battery unnecessarily.

If you insert the SD card into the reader and use eBook library to transfer to the SD card via the reader, you get the books prepaginated and your boot up time will improve dramatically.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:25 AM   #3
kevin_boone
Enthusiast
kevin_boone began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
I had this problem with my 500; I eventually gave up using a memory card because it made everything so slow.

I've just bought a 505, and I'm curious to know whether it behaves in the same way. But I note that the 505 has no more sophisticated ways of organizing a collection than the 500 had, so stuffing the thing with 5000 books might just lead to being unable to find anything :/
kevin_boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:29 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The 505 allows you to have collections on a memory card; on the 500 they were supported only in internal memory.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:32 AM   #5
scroll1
scroll1 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Thanks Patricia for the tip. I guess I'll just have to load up the internal memory with the books I need and leave the card out. It certainly works faster, but I do like the "security" of carrying my entire library with me in a small device when I travel. thanks also to kevin_boone for his comments on the 505. I have been thinking of upgrading the reader but with so many books in sony format I would hate to have to convert them to Kindle and the 505 doesn't sound like it would offer that much of an upgrade.
thanks again for the tip.
Wayne
scroll1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:39 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by scroll1 View Post
the 505 doesn't sound like it would offer that much of an upgrade.
The 505 has a drastically better screen; it really is hugely better than the 1st generation eInk screen that the 500 has. Enormously better contrast and much easier to read in poor light than the 500's screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote